Job Network
Sponsored by

Exxon - Hiring Experience

3,665 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 59 South
tramaro1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any experience being hired by Exxon? I am curious how long the process took for you.

I was told I got the job and I would have a written offer in a couple weeks. Fast forward 2 MONTHS and I still have not received anything. I spoke to the HR person a month ago and they claim they still are interested in perusing me, but are trying to find a spot to put me in. They were hopeful something would come available in a couple weeks to a month. Well that time has past and still nothing.

I am wanted to follow back up, but I do not want to pester them.

Also I was curious if anyone else had this same experience, if this is just how they operate because they are Exxon?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Exxon tends to hire people for specific positions with specific criteria. Either they have a position for you or they don't. HR person sounds disorganized. Have you spoken with anyone else that you interviewed with besides the HR person?
Astroag
AG
wait...

1. They told you that you got the job
2. They are interested in persuing you
3. Hopeful they can find a spot for you?

WTH were you interviewing for?

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
tramaro1
AG
Haha I know it is strange. That is why I was wonder about others experiences.

I have included other people in the emails, but I have only spoken with the main HR person.

The position was in supply chain for a procurement associate. So it is for a specific job, but at the same time you are assigned to a category (i.e. motors, electrical, etc).
IrishTxAggie
AG
And these others on the email are people you've interviewed with and you're not getting a response from?

Sounds like you're being strung along.
tramaro1
AG
One contact was a person I interviewed with but they work for my main HR contact.

The other contact was someone the main HR contact included.

That was my feelings but I have also heard nothing happens quick around there.
BrazosDog02
AG
It seems most of these larger companies are largely disorganized. Couple that with multiple levels of bureaucracy, and you have the makings for a LOOONNNGGGGG employment game.

I had a buddy that was laid off 2 years ago, interviewed at halliburton 6 months after his layoff, was told he did not get the position, then interviewed with a hiring manager he knew for the same position, then 4 months later was told they went with another person.......so he took a job with another company.....2 months after employment with his new company, halliburton sent him an offer letter.

LOL. He took the job, but it took months....
Petrino1
Im just judging by the associate job title, but is this an entry level job for recent graduates? If so, they may be trying to get the additional headcount approved. The headcount approval process can take forever, especially for entry level support function roles (management sees these as non essential).

If this is the case then there's nothing you can do besides sit and wait to hear from them.
JDUB08AG
AG
You could pull a George Constanza and just show up. Ask for the Pensky file.
Trident14
AG
It's certainly easier to get into Exxon as a contractor. When it comes time to hire for full time roles out there, they tend to look at former Exxon experience regardless of your capacity there. If your goal is to work with Exxon then you may consider this route. Feel free to let me know if you need a contact.
shortstackaggie
AG
Shoot me an email at username@gmail. I can check with The recruiting group.
TommyGun
AG
It's not unusual to be considered for multiple roles at the same time. When I interviewed I was being considered for about 4-5 different roles in multiple categories. I came back for follow-ups a few times and finally got a written offer about 3 months after my initial interview. As a side note, you should always try to call your recruiter. I'm pretty sure I know who you're dealing with and they can be tough to get in contact with via email. It doesn't help that all external emails automatically go into our trash folders in outlook. I had better luck staying in contact through calls/text. Good luck!
Bismarck
AG
Seems like a hard way to conduct business with third parties if all of their email goes to your trash folder.
AJ02
AG
Yes, they do take that long. I just left Exxon. I had been there for 5 months and as I was giving notice they said they had been working the past 2 months to find me a position as a procurement associate. My boss said he knew they wanted me, they just had to wait for some people to switch positions and then let the manager of said department do the hiring. From my boss's lips....Exxon moves INCREDIBLY slowly. To the point he said he knew he was going to lose me because they were taking so long, but that's how their HR department works.
AJ02
AG
No, PA position isn't entry level there. Around 6 figures is what I was offered. I have a decade of experience in procurement & logistics. The title is deceiving.
AJ02
AG
And I agree with Trident14. I got in to Exxon through Adecco as a temp. Got a full time offer after 5 months. My boss said they will ALWAYS hire someone with Exxon experience first, all things being equal. It's hard to get your foot in the door there as a direct hire.
tramaro1
AG
AJ02 said:

No, PA position isn't entry level there. Around 6 figures is what I was offered. I have a decade of experience in procurement & logistics. The title is deceiving.
Correct, they do have some entry level positions but they also hire experienced people. This is my exact situation and experience.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was hoping that was the case that they just took forever and I heard that nothing moves quickly over there. I finally received a call from HR last night stating they found an opening for me, but the position is in Baytown...which is on the complete opposite town from me. I am going to have to decline and request to wait for a position to open up in the Spring location. I will just have to hope it doesn't hinder my chances of getting hired on.
tramaro1
AG

AJ02 just out of curiosity why did you leave Exxon?
c47v3770
Anyone have experience with their Skype interviews? Have a 30 min. one tomorrow for a contract role.
TIA!
Trident14
AG
It is likely not a Skype video call. They're on Skype for Business, so you should make sure that you have a conference line (usually 832-624-1000) + a passcode.

Edit: If you want an interview prep I've given before, just email me at TridentAg14@gmail.com

tramaro1 - feel free to get in touch if you want to consider the contractor route.

c47v3770
Trident14 said:

It is likely not a Skype video call. They're on Skype for Business, so you should make sure that you have a conference line (usually 832-624-1000) + a passcode.

Edit: If you want an interview prep I've given before, just email me at TridentAg14@gmail.com

tramaro1 - feel free to get in touch if you want to consider the contractor route.

Sent you an email. Thank you.
AJ02
AG
I got my start through a temp agency (Adecco). Exxon kept dragging me along for months and months. Since I was temp, I wasn't getting benefits, time off, wasn't getting paid as much, didn't get to partake in all of the things around campus that true Exxon employees did. Heck, I wasn't even allowed to go to team building events or potlucks hosted for my team. It definitely makes you feel like an outsider and not part of the team.

They could never give me a guarantee if/when I would get hired full time, so I kept looking elsewhere. I got an offer from another company that I ultimately took. Really excited about the position. After I told my boss at Exxon that I had received an offer elsewhere and was putting in my notice, he came to me with an offer. Said it still had to be signed off on by HR which could take months, but he was 99% sure it was mine.

It was just too little, too late.
59 South
AG
Unfortunately this is fairly standard protocol for massive companies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.