Job Network
Sponsored by

Finance Majors

4,226 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by C5Aggie03
C5Aggie03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where is the best place to look for work?

Is passing the series 7 really the best option?

What do you guys do for a living and what advise would you give to a person trying to get their foot in the door?

I'm asking for a family member....

Thanks!
Woods Ag
AG
Some end up in accounting

Some end up as financial advisors, traders, etc

Some of us said f all that noise after getting a taste and don't use our degrees.
powerbelly
AG
I was a finance major, worked in the big 4, went back to grad school and now am chief of staff to a CEO.

Having a strong accounting/finance base is good but I am glad I branched out.

texancanuck11
Depends on what you want to do. I started as a financial advisor, and now I'm working as an analyst.

What do you want to do? What are your strong suites?
Texker
AG
If I had to do it over again I should have followed my gut and changed my major to Economics.
Wife is an Aggie
I've been with a large global conglomerate working in FP&A. The division I am is all O&G related being in Houston. Did a couple years of sales operations planning but got back into FP&A a little less than a year ago. The sales ops experience was actually really valuable to learn the business a little more and work with other departments. I am a lot better in my current role having that experience.

Not the sexiest thing in the world that's for sure. Not all but a lot of people come from Big 4. I didn't as I had interned with this company in college and had an offer after my internship. There are times I hate it and times I love it. I make a solid paycheck given my age/experience and my work/life balance overall is pretty good. I do like having a lot of exposure to senior management at multiple levels of the business. I hope I don't do this forever, but it has been good experience. I am still in my late 20's so lots of time ahead.

AggieC07
AG
There are so many areas of finance to go, a little direction would be helpful.

RightWingConspirator
AG
Was a finance major in my undergrad and my MBA program. I've been out of school for quite a few years now, and not once have I ever worked a finance or accounting job. My whole career has been in commercial/business development, which has been really good for me.

Capybara
Goose06
AG
Capybara said:

Really? I ask this because I'm a current student trying to do the opposite.
You won't find many people that agree with the idea of getting an economics degree over a finance degree (at least not if you are talking about Texas A&M being the undergrad degree for both)...
C5Aggie03
AG
AggieC07 said:

The original post says I'm asking for a family member. He's looking for his first job and has no clue. I'm an engineer so I don't deal with finance people at all. I just wanted to see what people actually do with this degree. It sounds like not much which is the problem.
AggieC07
AG
NM
FincAg
AG
While a person may not exactly use what is taught in FINC 341 on a daily basis, the concepts are applicable across all businesses.

Let me expound on that when I get back.
Goose06
AG
C5Aggie03 said:

AggieC07 said:

The original post says I'm asking for a family member. He's looking for his first job and has no clue. I'm an engineer so I don't deal with finance people at all. I just wanted to see what people actually do with this degree. It sounds like not much which is the problem.

Look at this guy, he has an engineering degree.
Goose06
AG
As for this finance guy, I did investment banking then went into oil and gas industry doing m&a and corporate finance. I eventually transitioned into commercial and business development for a midstream company. My finance background has been invaluable to becoming an officer level commercial/bd professional.
JoeOlson
AG
If given the option, I would go with finance every single time. While economics is a solid degree, it gets grouped into more of a general bucket (one step above communications). With finance, you can basically go in any direction you want and you get credit for a more quantitative foundation.
jh0400
AG
There are two different questions here. There is the question of "what can you do with a finance degree?" and there is "what type of jobs should a May grad with no plan look for now?".

If the question is the latter, I'm not sure I can provide much advice. You mentioned the Series 7, which is a securities exam that requires (I believe) an employer sponsorship and is for someone that wants to work as a financial advisor. Another option would be corporate FP&A or Treasury Analyst, but I doubt he'd have much of a shot for one of those roles with no experience. I'd recommend he reach out to someone that works in a field of finance that he is interested in as opposed to relying on his engineer uncle who doesn't work with "finance people".
one MEEN Ag
AG
C5Aggie03 said:

AggieC07 said:

Wait, you're specifically wanting advice from financial people and then you decide to insult them. Bold strategy cotton.

Also don't be 'that engineer.'
Goose06
AG
Quote:

Also don't be 'that engineer.'

Too late
Ulrich
Yes, those poor finance people. They just can't get jobs....

Oh wait.
AggieC07
AG
I think this thread needs to be started over....
10andBOUNCE
AG
Finance undergrad co 2008

Been in the defense industry doing project controls (more or less budgeting projects for contractor with large military contracts)
NPH-
AG
Not finance directly but Ag Econ with an emphasis on Finance, class of '10.

Commercial lending with a community/regional bank has been an extremely lucrative career for myself. It has a nice mix of sales/out-of-the-office and analytics/behind-the-desk mix that has been very rewarding to me and my family.
Fightin03
The options are endless coming out of Mays with a finance degree and decent GPA. Think there were about 120 finance majors in my class and vast majority had several offers.

Can do any variance of investment banking, corporate/commercial banking, capital markets, etc. Big banks hire droves of fresh finc grads every year.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
JoeOlson said:

If given the option, I would go with finance every single time. While economics is a solid degree, it gets grouped into more of a general bucket (one step above communications). With finance, you can basically go in any direction you want and you get credit for a more quantitative foundation.
generally agree with this analysis. I was a bit of an outlier with an undergrad in economics but I actually completed the math minor and people paid attention to that. It made me competitive with finance majors for offers.

Years after the fact as an attorney when I tell people I have a minor in math, other lawyers mostly look at me like I just told them I'm from the moon.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Just curious, did you go through Horizons at Mays or a program like SEO to improve your attractiveness for the IB gig on Wall Street?

That's a great opportunity. I always love seeing a Mays grad get to Wall Street since it doesn't happen very often.
leoj
AG
Just finished my first semester getting my masters at UTD. No idea what I want to go into.
C5Aggie03
AG
Thank you guys for the productive comments and the "other" comments. I could have said I was an accountant and gotten the same response. Have a nice day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.