Job Network
Sponsored by

Recent EE graduate seeking employment

2,505 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by normaleagle05
AggieGradEE17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi guys,

I graduated from A&M in December 2017 with a B.S. in electrical engineering. My background and internship experience is in power systems, and I would like to work at an engineering firm, ideally within the DFW metroplex (however, I'm open to anywhere). I'm looking into MEP firms as well, as I find that field really interesting. If anyone has advice on opportunities within the field of engineering design, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
07&09Ag
Have an email I can reach you at?
AggieGradEE17
Yep,

AggieGradEE17@gmail.com

Win At Life
AG
An EE in the MEP business will always be second fiddle unless you go back and get a MS in ME. ccrd is one of the exceptions that had an EE part owner but he has retired and ccrd sold out. Don't know much about them now.
AggieGradEE17
Interesting. I assumed a ME would be more involved with the HVAC side of things
Win At Life
AG
AggieGradEE17 said:

They are. But ME's are assumed to know the P as well. And the M & P is about 80% of the cost and problems associated with an MEP project so all the architects and owners expect to deal mostly with the Mechanical guys giving them a distinct advantage to winning clients and moving up the career ladder. An electrical can do it, but you're at a distinct disadvantage. Actually, electrical is on the slow path to promotion in just about every facet of construction that does not involve electrical only. Even then, like overhead power lines, a non-electrical is more likely to be the lead.
Rycher92
Let me know if you're are interested in the oil and gas industry. The opportunity would be in Houston.
UnderoosAg
AG
Depends a whole lot on the firm and personnel.
SidetrackAg
AG
Win At Life said:

AggieGradEE17 said:

They are. But ME's are assumed to know the P as well. And the M & P is about 80% of the cost and problems associated with an MEP project so all the architects and owners expect to deal mostly with the Mechanical guys giving them a distinct advantage to winning clients and moving up the career ladder. An electrical can do it, but you're at a distinct disadvantage. Actually, electrical is on the slow path to promotion in just about every facet of construction that does not involve electrical only. Even then, like overhead power lines, a non-electrical is more likely to be the lead.

Huh?
unearth222
AG
A civil/structural engineer will likely be the lead on those projects.

I don't agree with the electrical taking a second fiddle position in MEP Firms, especially those firms that deal with mission critical clients. The electrical is so important on those projects the client demands a highly competent electrical engineer. This is coming from a mechanical engineer working In The field for a decade now.

We just hired a few electrical engineers at my firm in DFW, but we might have an opening left. If you are interested, let me know and we can exchange emails.
AggieGradEE17
@Rycher92

Very interested. I emailed you!
AggieGradEE17
@unearth222

Very interested in this as well. My email is AggieGradEE17@gmail.com
unearth222
AG
got it and sent you an email. you can remove your email from the thread.
AgGermany
AG
You still looking? I work for the US Army Corps of Engineers, in Ft Worth. We are looking for EE's, and the Chief of Electrical Design Section is an Aggie, also his boss, the Design Branch Chief. Great job serving our Military customers.

Reply to this post if you are interested and I will do what I can to help, also look at USA Jobs.
OhAggie98
AG
My company is looking for EE's in our Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio offices. If you are open to those areas, shoot me an email and I can get your resume into the proper hands.

Rdgomez98 at gmail dot com

Edit to add company link. Matrix PDM Engineering
Ragoo
AG
OhAggie98 said:

My company is looking for EE's in our Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio offices. If you are open to those areas, shoot me an email and I can get your resume into the proper hands.

Rdgomez98 at gmail dot com

Edit to add company link. Matrix PDM Engineering
do you know Wilson Rubottom? Probably through the Houston Interests acquisition.
OhAggie98
AG
Yes, I worked with him a little. I was part of Houston Interests, and River Consulting before that. He retired not too long ago.
Ragoo
AG
OhAggie98 said:

Yes, I worked with him a little. I was part of Houston Interests, and River Consulting before that. He retired not too long ago.
small world. We commissioned him and his team to do the piping and structural of a large plant for us back in 2011-2012.
OhAggie98
AG
Ragoo said:

OhAggie98 said:

small world. We commissioned him and his team to do the piping and structural of a large plant for us back in 2011-2012.
I'm sure I'm familiar with the project, yet sure I didn't work on it. I was more focused on bulk material handing projects at that point in time.
normaleagle05
AG
SidetrackAg said:

Win At Life said:

AggieGradEE17 said:

Huh?

I'm a surveyor in an engineering and surveying firm that specializes in this. The civil/structural guys lead the transmission work where I am.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.