Job Network
Sponsored by

Anyone work for Texas Parks and Wildlife?

3,291 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Papa_Blaze
Papa_Blaze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently applied for a position in Austin and wanted to know if anybody is/has worked there. More specific, do you like working there and whats the culture like? Thanks!
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I worked at Guadalupe River State Park for a little bit

good benefits/retirement
very easy to jump around from park to park once you have a little experience
a lot of workers usually just gain experience and then wait til the specific park they have their eye on has an opening (usually based around a location of the state they want to live in)
easy to climb up the chain

That's what I took from watching around the workers around me and from hearing what my past co-workers are doing nowadays

I only know one person who works at the Austin headquarters.
Papa_Blaze
AG
Thanks for the info!
zooguy96
You may hit up UrsusGuy on the Outdoor board. He used to work for them for many years.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I was a wildlife biologist for TPWD for almost 12 years. I absolutely loved my job. I was based outside of the DFW area, but my supervisor was always either in Tyler or in Austin. So I was always 2+ hours for direct contact with my supervisor, this common for field staff. This is very different from Austin HQ. from my understanding. Much more of the regimented cubical life, but generally very family friendly.

The benifits are decent, but I can tell you that most folks do NOT like state insurance if they have to stick their dependents on it. Better than nothing, but not by much. TPWD employees tend to be VERY passionate about their job, almost to a negative. Several years ago TPWD got slapped when an outside state agency surveyed employees and audited reported time worked. Boiled down, pretty much across the board, there was a "voluntary culture of uncompensated work". In hindsight, I rarely worked less than 60 a week, but only got paid for 40, but the procedure for getting approved for comp time was a pain....so you simply did what needed to be done. Prime example, that was awesome at the time, but in hindsight has 3 of us going "what the hell". In 2011, there was a large RIF forced on TPWD by the LBB (odd since much of TPWD funding has very little impact on the state budget, but the LBB like to use money they can't actually touch to balance the checkbook....that is another story, TPWD can be the stepchild of the state), my program was tasked with planning a large international wildlife management conference being host that year in Austin. I was on the "program committee" that determined which submitted presentation submissions were accepted. I was always known as a night owl, my coworkers knew that emails from me after midnight were not uncommon (which I have subsequently tried to kill as a practice). Anyway, I reviewing my packet of submissions, and fired off and email at 1:33 AM....by 1:35 AM I had responses from the other 2 biologists that were on the same committee. They were up doing the same thing. At the time we thought it was pretty funny, and bad a-- dedication. In hindsight, we realized it was actually somewhat f-ed up. It may get you exceptional on evals, but with TPWD/state that doesn't mean much financially. I got exactly one merit bonus in 11.5 years, and NEVER had anything less than "exceed expectations" across the board through multiple supervisors.....occasionally there might be a little money for merit bonuses, but it might come out that there was one $1000 (so $659) bonus that could go to a person in the District or Program (so 1 for 10-20 people).

The pay factor is ultimately why I left. Working for TPWD/Texas state government in general, you certainly aren't getting rich by any stretch of the imagination. As a single guy, making less than teachers (mind you in a science division good luck getting hired without a Masters) wasn't so bad. When I started, '04, it wasn't uncommon for Technicians with families to be on food stamps (not kidding). By the time I left, a biologist with 6 years experience had pretty well caught up to the pay of a teacher in a larger district.....but you were also likely topped out in pay. That was the crossroad I hit, I was 38 years old and effectively topped out...unless I wanted to move to Austin and a more administrative job duties (not happening). Every 2 years, you might get a 3% raise, typically 2% in year 1 and 1% in year 2. I am known to be a borderline workaholic (and due to the general passion for their positions, extremely common within TPWD), but you have to realize that beyond personal satisfaction, there is no financial gain for doing beyond the bare minimum....I just had an unusual opportunity for a wildlife biologist pop up, and my wife would have shot me had I not taken it.

I have heard that in the 2 years since I have left, things have changed. Some things have become more bueacratically painful (travel). But all my friends that are still there still love what they are doing.

One odd thing if you ever meet Carter Smith, the Executive Director, he is one of those guys with a photographic memory of names and faces. He met my wife once at Expo in 2007 for maybe a 15 second exchange, last week 11 years later and with me 2 years removed from the agency, he asked how she and my son were by name. I made a joke about the 4 rattlesnakes found in my office (actually happened-08 or 09). I made the comment half-hearted in a large group (my office was literally a converted state park restroom building, so literally a cr-p house), apparently Mr. Smith heard it. The next morning, I had message from my supervisor that Mr. Smith was very concerned about the rattlesnakes being able to access our office, and I had direct orders to spend the money needed to keep that from happening (I am extremely frugal by nature, and even more so with hunting license paid money).

With all that said, if something happened to my current position, I would go back to it in a heartbeat......just maybe not in Austin.
zooguy96
As you write this at 12:54 in the morning.
ursusguy
AG
Very valid point, but it was me playing around on my own........ok, ok I was cruising around various social media looking for hot issues to put out today.

But I have cut back on my post midnight TA post. Don't hold me to that.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Also, you can do this for pay ranges

google
"state of texas salaries"
click on result titled "government salaries explorer"

you can then search under job titles to see what those people are getting paid and when their hire date was etc.
Papa_Blaze
AG
Thanks for your insight, Ursus! A lot to consider if I get the chance to interview. I would be doing there what I do now at my current job (Asset management) and it show the starting pay upfront so I'm not blind sided when the topic comes up. Is there a reason why you wouldn't work in the Austin area? Is it just because it's Austin or more are there more politics in play here?
ursusguy
AG
I was setting myself up to be a horseback wildlife biologist in Alaska. Life happened, and I've made a lot of concessions on where I thought I would be (about a week before I proposed to my now wife, I was offered a biologist position with the feds in Sitka...my wife moved to Texas from Vermont because she can't stand the cold, you can see where that went). Also discovered that unlike a lot of wildlife biologists, I actually like talking to a wide diversity of people and I could have a bigger overall impact on wildlife conservation through outreach. One concession I can't make, cubicle life would kill me. I'm in the field at least 3 days out of the work week.

Second, yeah, I generally flat out can't stand Austin. The area is extremely pretty. A lot of the TPWD field staff can't afford to actually live in Austin, and I personally can't stand traffic with a commute. I am very much conservation minded, but over the top hippy (and you can read pothead there if you want) I can not stand personally (not remotely an issue at TPWD HQ, just Austin in general).

If you make it to the interview panel, update and I can give you some pointers. Folks tend to think TPWD interviews are the hardest or easiest interviews they have ever done.
Papa_Blaze
AG
Much appreciated, Ursus. Yeah I share some feelings you do about Austin as well. I recently purchased a house in Liberty Hill so the commute will be miserable. Ill keep you updated if I make the cut. Thanks again
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.