Job Network
Sponsored by

Giving Notice When Quitting

9,015 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rusty GCS
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How does one even have that much time between employers? If I offer someone a job, I'm looking to fill it immediately. Not wait six months for you to assume the position. From time of accepting to first day on the job, I generally expect 3-4 weeks until you start. 2 weeks notice and 1-2 weeks to take care of anything you may need to before starting.
htxag09
AG
Not speaking for anyone specifically but can be lots of reasons....new contracts, projects, etc that require increasing personnel, replacing someone who may have given 6-12 months notice for retirement. Just a couple that come to mind.
mm98
AG
My answer after reading the OP was "two weeks".

My answer after all the responses is still "two weeks".

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
TMF
AG
Only look out for you and your family. I suggest companies put it in contract that they will guarantee you salary for X length for X notice. Otherwise F them. I have never been burned but I have seen too many that have.
Halconblack
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

Update for those interested.

The answer to my question has been given by my company. I co-worker gave his 3 month notice on Thursday and by Friday afternoon he was told that he should just leave immediately. They will now be getting a 48 hour notice from me.
The situation is totally dependent on what you do. Ask your self this question: "Will the company be seriously hampered by me departing with only two weeks notice?" If you truly believe the answer is "yes," chances are you have a relationship with someone at the company you can quietly ask for advice. If the answer is "no" then just plan for two weeks. I have several employees that I would really appreciate having a few months notice (luckily in my time at the company we have only had one employee leave). That being said, for most employees we could create a comfortable transition plan within two weeks.
v/r
NoahAg
2 weeks, then "bye Felicia."

I couldn't imagine being a lame duck employee for 2 months, and I really can't imagine any business that would want to keep that employee for that long, knowing they're leaving.

The company has 75 employees? I'm sure they'll get along fine while they look for your replacement.
histag10
AG
The only time I have given more than 2 weeks is with my last job. But it was a super small local business with less than 10 employees. I gave maybe just over a month's notice (which is honestly about all the notice I had). He appreciated it, as it gave him time to find someone else and gave me time to train that person. He also served as a pretty great reference.

But under normal circumstances- 2 weeks, and even then most expect to be told shortly thereafter to just go ahead and stay home.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Would they give you 2-3 months notice if they were letting you go?

Two weeks is customary. They only time I would think more notice should be given is if you are in an executive position responsible for many aspects of the business.
Carlo4
AG
Good stuff in this thread.

My girlfriend works as a BCBA for kids with autism. 45-75 day notice, based on her explanation, is common practice in her field as the company needs time to train and replace her. Otherwise, they lose the kids to other clients. She actually left her job today and gave a 45 day notice...

I recently learned my former boss at my first job gave a 6 month notice to start a new company so the old one can transition from her position. Company failed to replace her in time and the branch closed down.

Personally, I have done 2 weeks without issue. Did 1 month notice one time for a transition, and ended up going back to that employer for another job as I kept the relationship positive. Always look after number one, but understand the situation and observe the environment.

Dr. Faustus
AG
Currently in this situation. I'll likely be accepting a role at a different firm on Monday. They want me June 4, but I've asked to push it two weeks to June 18 if possible (they said no problem). I did that because part of my current role is coordinating a quarterly process that wraps up June 14, and I don't want to hang my team out to dry. So I will have made the decision to leave 4 weeks out from my start date.

The question is, do I give them 4 weeks notice, or do I roll on for 2 weeks and not say anything and then turn in the customary 2 weeks notice?

Leaning towards the 4 weeks to give my current company time to have someone shadow me and get tied into the process so they can do it next quarter. There's also a distinct possibility that they tell me to take a hike within a few days of giving notice because I'm going to a direct competitor.
Bayside Tiger Ag
I was in a similar situation before. My team informally (not HR, though) knew, on an as-needed basis, that I was on my way out with 2 months to spare before I planned to leave. It was necessary that they knew so they could find a suitable replacement for me to train. Then again, I wouldn't consider this standard practice and it's probably true that it varies across industries.

I gave HR 2 weeks' notice, and they actually asked me to leave after 1 week and paid me out for the next week due to utilization optimization purposes. I would always formally communicate notice at 2 weeks.
Naveronski
AG
Two weeks, unless going without pay for four weeks is okay for your situation.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Not a concern, as I'd turn around and start with the new firm immediately.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Over the course of my career ive realized that if your employer wants you gone, they will bring you a cardboard box and have security walk you out.

Tit for tat.

If they want some notice, they can contract for it and pay up.

This two weeks nonsense is just that.

Ain't no free lunch for me, ain't not free lunch for you.
Matsui
AG
Since you are going to a direct competitor they would be fools to not ask you to leave immediately.
IrishTxAggie
AG
There is absolutely zero reason, nor is it required, to tell your current employer who your future employer is. But if you don't tell them, they'll assume and just walk you that day.
Naveronski
AG
Example from this week; had a coworker put in three weeks notice yesterday, was walked out today at lunch.

He'll be fine, but it's a thing.
Rusty GCS
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

There is absolutely zero reason, nor is it required, to tell your current employer who your future employer is. But if you don't tell them, they'll assume and just walk you that day.

Employers are going to want to know who hired you away. They want to know who and why so they can address employee retention.

I'm leaving my current company to start at another July 16. HR knows where I'm going and why. I haven't told my direct supervisor yet. I'm trying to decide if I give 3 weeks notice Monday or a 2 week notice the following Monday.

I bet half the people at work know I'm leaving already. Just not my boss yet.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.