Job Network
Sponsored by

Ever used a job coach?

1,347 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by clem93
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking into working with one to help me refine my interviewing skills. I've had many interviews, but can't seem to close.

I'm curious if you've used a job coach, and if so what did they work on with you?

Did it help?

TIA.

HollywoodBQ
AG
I got laid off recently and one of the things my company did was to pay for some sort of job placement/job coaching sort of service.

It was useful. Basically, talking to somebody just help me focus on the stuff that I knew I needed to focus on.

They did have sessions on Interviewing where you could do mock interviews and they had sessions on resume writing. And you could send your resume in to their service to get hacked apart/edited.

Personally, I got the most value from a session on "LinkedIn" and a session on resume writing.

I've been on "LinkedIn" since 2004 but had been working for the same employer for the past decade so I didn't really have my LinkedIn presence updated. That helped a lot. Got lots of recruiter interest after that.

But, the main thing is to use your personal network - something which worked very well for me.

The problem I had with my resume is that it had slowly grown from 1 page in 1994 to 5 pages by 2017. So... for 2018, I did some hacking and slashing to get it down to 4 pages. One page intro and 3 pages of detail. I'd still like to get it down further but, I got a job quickly so... it'll probably wait.

Hope that helps. The main point of a job coach is to probe you with questions to make sure that you're thinking clearly and that you're staying focused. Not just taking the first job that comes along.
victoriaydudley
AG
Hey there -

I have been using a "job coach" service called Lee Hecht Harrison - in the Austin area. It has been helpful in some areas, and not in others. Overall value - I probably wouldn't invest in it again, but I'm sure it is different for everyone. It probably doesn't help that the job coach that I was assigned to left half way through my service and I was assigned to another.

You could always give it a month and see what happens!

If you have any specific questions - feel free to ask.

Victoria '14
clem93
AG
https://brightsideresumes.com

I used Cliff Flamer in 2014. He is very good at asking the right questions, which is inline with what HollywoodBQ said. He will not tell you what to do, but instead help you figure out what you want to do.

Their resume writing server is top notch as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.