Job Network
Sponsored by

Career Change Advice

918 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
merlin403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags,

Preface:

I graduated with a MS in Digital Forensic Science from a reputable East Coast university in July '17. Long term, I would like to find a career with the Federal Government doing digital forensics or penetration/vulnerability testing but in the interim I am looking for any Information Security opportunity where I can gain "real world" experience.

Dilemma:

Since November 2004, I have been employed with a major telecommunications provider as a Fiber Network Technician primarily assisting field technicians in resolving issues pertaining to the installation of residential and business customer fiber voice, internet, and television service. My job responsibilities are such that I have limited involvement in any InfoSec activity. I possess enough academic knowledge to understand critical "key concepts" (big picture) but really need daily interaction to strengthen my resume.

The most logical choice would be to try and find an InfoSec opportunity with my current employer. Unfortunately, these jobs are in New York and while I have no problem relocating my family it would need to be under the right circumstances.

Avoiding the argument of certifications vs. non-certifications, I will mention that I have several entry level certs. I am strongly considering earning my Certified Ethical Hacker as it achieves Department of Defense Directive 8570 but I have a hard time justifying the $950 voucher cost.

SANS training and certifications are also on my "wish list" but as with the CEH certification mentioned above, their cost is too excessive without employer assistance.

One avenue that I am considering is attending the free monthly OWASP meetings. Not only would I get to learn more about software security but it would also present an opportunity to network with others.

Recommendations:

For Aggies currently active in this field, what advice can you provide that can help me make the career jump from Telcom to InfoSec?

Do you mind if I pass along my resume for review and constructive criticism?

Any thoughts on possibly using a head hunter/recruiter for finding employment?

Thanks!
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you think the Certification will help you get a job, $950 is nothing.

IT is a funny business. Often times there are jobs that require you to be in the company HQ location, or wherever they have a mass of staff performing certain functions. Sometimes - usually if you're in Sales or if you're a genuine subject matter expert, or if you're doing 100% travel as a consultant of some sort, you can live wherever you like.

As far as switching from what sounds like one facet of networking hardware across to information security, that's going to be a difficult switch. You're right to try to make that change within your company, knowing that you might have to take a step backward to get ahead in the long run.

I guess, the best advice I could offer for your situation is to network like crazy - personal connections, school connections, trade show events, etc. Even if you've got to pay for attending a trade show out of your own pocket, it might be worth it.

If you're geographically restricted, make a list of the top IT Security firms in your area and figure out who you know there. Figure out if they've got anything entry level. Likewise, check K-12 Education, State/Local Governments to see if they're hiring.

These days, it can be tough if you're not living in a market where an IT security firm is based and you are not a currently recognized subject matter expert.

Check if there are any online forums, non for profits or anything where you can gain some practical experience. Even if that comes down to setting up something like an online secure payment system for your kids sports team fees or whatever.

Getting the interview is the hardest part. You'll need to find an organization with a need and then convince them that you can help them. Good Luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.