Job Network
Sponsored by

Recent ME grad seeking o&g advice

2,274 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ntxaggie
ElGatoBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finished my mechanical engineering degree in December and have had a difficult time landing an entry level o&g opportunity. I'm interested in upstream field engineering positions, and am open to relocation throughout the US. I interviewed with one of the supermajors in Houston before graduating, but didn't receive an offer. I also interviewed with a small independent e&p, but they ended up not having the funds to add additional staff. My last application call back was in January. Although I have a good gpa, I believe my lack of internships is killing my chances, and I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Has anyone in a similar position been able to get into the industry? Would international positions be less competitive and a good way to get experience? I've been considering getting a CDL and trying to hire on as an operator/wireline or maybe as a roughneck/rig hand, but I'm unsure if that would help me transition into a field engineering position. Any additional advice is appreciated.
TheMasterplan
I'd look outside of oil and gas in my opinion since you're an ME grad.

And in the interviews, come up with a good reason as to why you don't have any internships.
Ragoo
AG
I know a guy hiring in Odessa with Schlumberger. Field work. Probably through a temp for 3-6 months. Not and engineering role, but Could lead to something down the road in a few years.
ElGatoBill
AG
ttt. Thanks to those who reached out. Still seeking advice.
aduey06
By upstream field engineering I am assuming you mean production engineering roles. I am no expert but I don't think an E&P is going to take a ME over a PE for that position. The only couple of ME production types that I have met with operators all worked for service companies previously. I think you would have to go that route.

You could also loom at the water side of things to get into the field. There are a few specialized service companies focused on water treating, storage, disposal, reuse. That may lead to getting on with an operator.
ElGatoBill
AG
My end goal would be a drilling or completions role with a service company or operator. Most advice has been to look for a field role for experience and then move up from there. I have begun looking into the water roles, thank you!
SidetrackAg
AG
May want to look into MWD/LWD positions if you're interested in the drilling side. I'm not sure what the pay is anymore, but I'm sure it'll be around 6 figures. You'll be gone a lot, and you'll earn every dollar, but you will learn a ton.
ElGatoBill
AG
Yes! A MWD/LWD or DD position is what I'm interested in on the drilling side. All the openings I find want experienced drillers though. If you've heard of someone looking for entry level please pm.
SidetrackAg
AG
Just apply everywhere that you can. Best shot would maybe be a smaller services/directional company. I've heard there are quite a few looking for hands in West Tx. Could be that the experienced driller requirement is referring you the DD. You pretty much have to be a driller for a while before you move into a DD position. When i was at a red company on the MWD/LWD side, there were some DD's that were MWD for years, and then moved into a DD position because they knew a lot. Good luck!
thepartygoat
AG
check out C&J services, they have an entry wireline engineer position with field and class room training. They have 15 spots.

https://cjenergy.com/careers/
https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?d=ExternalCareerSite&c=1058741#/
slowmach
I received a email from recruiter that SLB is hiring 50 DD's and 20 MWD's right now in Permian, pay is $35/hr average for night DD, MWD pay is $23/hr.
SidetrackAg
AG
slowmach said:

I received a email from recruiter that SLB is hiring 50 DD's and 20 MWD's right now in Permian, pay is $35/hr average for night DD, MWD pay is $23/hr.
Damn, they do hourly now? When i was doing it a few years ago it was day rate
ElGatoBill
AG
Any way for me to get in contact with or pass my info to the recruiter? I'm not finding the MWD positions on SLB website.
slowmach
SidetrackAg said:

slowmach said:

Damn, they do hourly now? When i was doing it a few years ago it was day rate
During the slow down someone sued one of the major service companies for non payment of overtime in a dayrate. Lawyer took the case and won so now everyone went to hourly to avoid lawsuit.
slowmach
ElGatoBill said:

Any way for me to get in contact with or pass my info to the recruiter? I'm not finding the MWD positions on SLB website.
What is your email?
ElGatoBill
AG
email is in my profile
ElGatoBill
AG
May bump. Thanks to all those who reached out.
MechAg1221
AG
You might think about trying to start with a drilling contractor and working you way over to an operator. From what I've seen it's hard to find a job with an operator with no experience. The drilling contractors have more roles available for ME majors as compared to an operator. The operators are where the money is at in my opinion. It's also my belief that in a downturn the rest of the industry is squeezed by them since they are the ones at the top of the O&G pyramid. All that being said there are probably a lot of field engineer positions in the Permian not sure how many are entry level though. Watch XTO's website they are in the middle of moving their HQ to Houston which is causing a lot of jobs to open up. The way I found my O&G job was on hireaggies so of course make sure you are monitoring that as well.
ntxaggie
Not upstream and not engineering, but we hire a lot of engineering majors for project management types of positions. If interested in pipeline work in West Virginia or Pennsylvania, send your resume to jobs at ustrinity dot com.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.