Job Network
Sponsored by

Oil Field jobs - recent grad

2,215 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by thepartygoat
agincs93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be a grad come this May. Degree is not in petro however, but in College of Ag.

What is the best way to get started in the oil field with no experience? I am looking at possibly being a roughneck or mud engineer. Have always excelled at manual labor. What options do I have, if any?

Thank you
OldArmy1606
From my experience, getting field experience is crucial. There are a myriad of jobs like frac ops, pipeline, roughneck, MWD/LWD, mudlogging, etc.

The higher paying jobs, like mud engineer or MWD are going to be harder to get into with zero experience, without knowing someone. I wouldn't let that stop you from applying. Rig count is only going to go up.

I'd suggest looking at service companies like Weatherford, Schlumberger, Baker-Hughes, & Haliburton. Those are just the big ones, there are lots of smaller service companies too. Look on websites like RigZone.com for more resources, like job searches.

Good luck.
jaTmes
What's your email address? I'll send you some info.
Halconblack
AG
What kind of experience do you have with electrical circuits or motors?
BeastmodeAg
AG
No leads on my end but please don't put "oil field trash" stickers on your truck. Looks really really dumb
agincs93
w1710j@gmail.com
jaTmes
Email Sent.
AggieFabricator
What field are you looking to go into? That'd help a lot. Unless you come from an engineering background, I'd stay away from fracking companies. That's just my opinion. I saw a lot of frack crews in my time with EOG, and I felt sorry for all of them, except the guys who sat in the trailers doing the engineering and monitoring. Flow back, you'll work a ton but usually make good money. But I mean you'll work a ton, flownack guys with EOG would work MONTHS, without a day off, but they also made 700 to 1200 a day. Automation and I&E is a great field and things are only getting more automated. It's also a great field because you're not as dependent on boom times, because automated facilities and wellheads will always require maintenance, therefore there's a long term need for you. With no experience you'll have a hard time getting into the drilling side unless you know someone.
AggieFabricator
BeastmodeAg said:

No leads on my end but please don't put "oil field trash" stickers on your truck. Looks really really dumb

Don't listen to this guy..
thepartygoat
AG
check out C&J services, they have an entry wireline engineer position with field and class room training. They have 15 spots.

https://cjenergy.com/careers/
https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?d=ExternalCareerSite&c=1058741#/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.