Job Network
Sponsored by

Seeking Compliance & Risk Leader Opportunities - DFW Area

1,324 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ww
ww
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags -

Would love to see if my TexAgs Network is willing to provide any advice, insight, and/or referrals for compliance & risk opportunities in the DFW Area, specifically in the financial services or other service-related industries.

With 11+ years in the financial services industry, I've gained experience in a variety of roles including compliance & risk, chief of staff, employee engagement, and technology service/portfolio delivery.

Due to a recent reduction in force, I now have an opportunity to utilize my knowledge, skills, and abilities to address any open resource gaps that your organization has.

Thank you,

William Wolf
Class of '07
email: user name at yahoo
RobCoMom
AG
Hi William -

I'm an Ethics & Compliance Officer and I know some of these positions aren't posted many times. Lots of word of mouth. Are you a CCEP or perhaps a CFE or have any other certification? There's an excellent conference tomorrow that I had to back out of but KPMG, Convercent and one other was sponsoring.

It's good to find some local compliance groups like we have in the Houston area. Feel free to PM me and I might be able to put you in contact with a friend in the Dallas's area who might be able to help.
ww
AG
Thanks for the insight and reply! Would love to reach out, could you provide your email? Or you can find mine as username at Yahoo.
RobCoMom
AG
Will shoot you an e-mail!
Gooder Poster
AG
For what it's worth, when I search for jobs on Indeed, my main searches are government affairs, regulatory affairs, and the likes, and I see tons of compliance related jobs that pop up.

My searches are in Austin, though, and I've rarely looked at the Dallas market. So, your results may differ. But it's worth a look, I think.
ww
AG
Thanks for the insight!

Austin, huh? We relocated from the Austin area to DFW a couple years ago for an opportunity.

How's the job market for your area of search? We found that Austin was somewhat limiting compared to DFW, but moving back is never 100% out of the equation.
Duncan Idaho
williamwolf114 said:

Howdy Ags -

Would love to see if my TexAgs Network is willing to provide any advice, insight, and/or referrals for compliance & risk opportunities in the DFW Area, specifically in the financial services or other service-related industries.

With 11+ years in the financial services industry, I've gained experience in a variety of roles including compliance & risk, chief of staff, employee engagement, and technology service/portfolio delivery.

Due to a recent reduction in force, I now have an opportunity to utilize my knowledge, skills, and abilities to address any open resource gaps that your organization has.

Thank you,

William Wolf
Class of '07

First off, I've been in your shoes and it sucks. So I wish you nothing but good luck. Please take this in the spirit it is meant.

Tone down the buzz word bingo. Personally I'd skip over a cover letter that was voiced like this. It sounds like a blue color worker that making fun of how they think white color workers speak.

ww
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

williamwolf114 said:

Howdy Ags -

Thank you,

William Wolf
Class of '07

First off, I've been in your shoes and it sucks. So I wish you nothing but good luck. Please take this in the spirit it is meant.

Tone down the buzz word bingo. Personally I'd skip over a cover letter that was voiced like this. It sounds like a blue color worker that making fun of how they think white color workers speak.

No worries at all, no offense taken. I appreciate the feedback, I can totally see that.

I have been through it once before, and though it may sound cheesey or buzzwordy, I do believe it and I believe in myself.
histag10
AG
Likely wont be what you are looking for, but financial aid departments at colleges have compliance and risk positions. I know there have been several open and close recently (don't know about Dallas area though). I do know that A&M has the Assistant Director of Compliance open right now in Financial Aid.

Thought I'd throw it out there, since most people don't think to look in higher ed for a lot of positions.
ww
AG
histag10 said:

Likely wont be what you are looking for, but financial aid departments at colleges have compliance and risk positions. I know there have been several open and close recently (don't know about Dallas area though). I do know that A&M has the Assistant Director of Compliance open right now in Financial Aid.

Thought I'd throw it out there, since most people don't think to look in higher ed for a lot of positions.

This is great insight, and you are 100% correct in that I had never thought to look into higher education for risk/compliance roles. I actually just received some similar advice this week, so I appreciate you confirming that viewpoint into opportunities. I'll definitely look into it.
histag10
AG
williamwolf114 said:

histag10 said:

This is great insight, and you are 100% correct in that I had never thought to look into higher education for risk/compliance roles. I actually just received some similar advice this week, so I appreciate you confirming that viewpoint into opportunities. I'll definitely look into it.

Come work for A&M

But only if you really enjoy combing through the never ending Dept. of Ed. regulations. They like to change things up just as you finally "get it", and make things as vague as possible.
Gooder Poster
AG
I mean, I see a lot of compliance jobs on a regular basis, but I am sure the market for that is way bigger in DFW, Houston, and even San Antonio. A lot of the job growth in Austin is with tech companies that, unless they are a big company, I think often overlook compliance stuff, or just decide they will worry about that when it becomes an issue.

In terms of the market for government relations and the likes, it a complex thing. Other cities have a need for those roles because the companies want someone in-house, and often they would prefer to have them at the HQ vs in Austin. They figure the person can travel to Austin as needed.

They also may have contract lobbyists/GR people here, so the in-house person doesn't need to be in Austin necessarily. But, companies that have offices in Austin already will often allow the in-house GR person to be based in Austin on the theory that it makes managing their contract lobbyists easier.

So, it's a crap shoot, and a lot of people who want to stay in Austin still apply for the GR jobs in Houston and Dallas with the hopes they can convince the company to let them stay in Austin.

Those things combined with an enormous pool of people who want lobbying/GR jobs means the market can be pretty thin, even if there's a lot of opportunity. When a major company like Apple, Dell, oil and gas companies, etc post government affairs jobs there are hundreds of applicants.
Gooder Poster
AG
Related follow up, it's too bad your experience isn't in biotech compliance. I see 3-4 Austin based jobs in that every 2-4 weeks. I have enough experience reading rules and regs that I could do it, but I don't have any experience specifically in biotech or pharma.
RobCoMom
AG
Problem with Higher Ed is they don't pay enough. They want everyone to have a degree but the pay is atrocious. I know b/c I worked at the System for 12 years. By I agree it's good experience.
histag10
AG
RobCoMom said:

Problem with Higher Ed is they don't pay enough. They want everyone to have a degree but the pay is atrocious. I know b/c I worked at the System for 12 years. By I agree it's good experience.

Depending on your position and department, the pay may not be horrible. They also provide a pretty decent benefits package. But yes, you can make much more money in the private sector than you can in higher ed.

Of course, the money in higher ed is better than being out of work.
ww
AG
histag10 said:

RobCoMom said:

Depending on your position and department, the pay may not be horrible. They also provide a pretty decent benefits package. But yes, you can make much more money in the private sector than you can in higher ed.

Of course, the money in higher ed is better than being out of work.

This is all good info, definitely pros and cons to each side.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.