Job Network
Sponsored by

Salesforce

2,000 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ORAggieFan
gvine07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you have any advice/guidance for someone looking to transition into a Salesforce role from a non-technical job?

Any advice about courses, certifications, meaningful experience, and job search is appreciated.
PanzerAggie06
AG
I've been using SF for about 8 months now. Overall I think its a great system but it does have a few minor flaws that tend to annoy me. To be honest I'm not sure if it is entirely the program itself or if it is how my company has us using it. The tool I like best is the mapping capabilities in the Geopoint area. I find it incredibly useful in planning sales meeting geographically.

On a side note SF can be a bit of a "Big Brother", for the lack of a better term. It allows the boss to see your activity level down to the minute. Its not a big deal in my company but I imagine it could be with certain outfits.
m-walker
AG
How successful SalesForce is to a company is 1000% based on internal or consultant custom programming.

No advise other than I think it's a solid path to go for.
ORAggieFan
Start with Trailhead. Tons on there.

What do you want to do. What is your background?

Certs are great and tons of options.

I spent 5 years and Salesforce and now run delivery for a partner. Happy to provide advice.
Astroag
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Start with Trailhead. Tons on there.

What do you want to do. What is your background?

Certs are great and tons of options.

I spent 5 years and Salesforce and now run delivery for a partner. Happy to provide advice.

This...and get the certifications

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
gvine07
AG
Thank you all for the responses! I'm pleasantly surprised this many people visit this forum to help other Ags.

I started on Trailhead a couple of weeks ago. Is there any reason to take a course to prepare for the ADM 201 or DEV 401 certification test? I don't want to jinx it, but I've been a good test taker in the past. Also, any advice on the order to take certification tests for a job seeker?

I haven't narrowed down the route I want to go. Ideally I would like to start with a large consulting firm, such as Accenture, if I can limit travel. I'm hoping to get my foot-in-the-door anywhere but don't want to limit options in the future. I don't know what I don't know, so please let me know if there's something I should consider focusing on and/or something I should stay away from.

I used to work in Economic Development at the state level, worked at a construction company for a year, and I'm in my fifth year teaching high school math. I have a political science degree and a Master of Public Service and Administration Degree from the Bush School at A&M. I live in Carrollton, Texas.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I haven't narrowed down the route I want to go. Ideally I would like to start with a large consulting firm, such as Accenture, if I can limit travel.
I am sure you have valid reasons to want limited travel, but I personally think you get the best experience and learn the most by being willing to go anywhere. Once you have a few years in consulting you can then move to something with less travel.

YMMV
gvine07
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

I haven't narrowed down the route I want to go. Ideally I would like to start with a large consulting firm, such as Accenture, if I can limit travel.
I am sure you have valid reasons to want limited travel, but I personally think you get the best experience and learn the most by being willing to go anywhere. Once you have a few years in consulting you can then move to something with less travel.

YMMV
I agree, but I have a toddler at home. I don't mind a little travel every month, or a lot of travel for a designated part of time, but I don't want to spend 4 or 5 days away without an end in sight.
ORAggieFan
Getting into Accenture means you're on the road 40+ weeks/year.

The hard part is getting into consulting. Get a few certs and you can get a Jr. BA type role for about $70-$80k/year.

I'd get the following:
Admin
Adv Admin
App Builder

Then choose from there. Two hot areas with limited resources out there are Einstein and Field Service Lightning. Einstein is going to be more analytical, but more upside. Both have great upside though.

With your teaching background, another option is to become an instructor. You can become certified instructor through Salesforce and even teach classes for them. I *think* they pay $2000/week course for those, but may be off on the numbers.

Also, find user groups in your area. That may mean heading to DFW or Austin.
gvine07
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Getting into Accenture means you're on the road 40+ weeks/year.

Do you think the DFW Salesforce consultants are travelling 40+ weeks/year? When my wife worked for Accenture she rarely had to travel when she was based in Houston, but always had to travel when she was based out of Austin (that's why she left). Her role was completely different, though.

And I'm not sure I can get a job at Accenture - what other companies should I look at?

Thanks for the cert recommendations!
ORAggieFan
Most of the Big 4 I know travel all the time. Sometimes they are lucky and get local.

I'd look at mid tier partners or even getting into admin type stuff.
Astroag
AG
I'd get on linkedin and search jobs and people with Salesforce...message them and pick their brains. They can prolly give you a better idea of the current climate. Additionally, I'd hit up meetup for salesforce groups in your area and go that route.

When dreamforce comes back around this year, I'd highly recommend attending. 180k people in San Fran last year for it...great networking tool.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
gvine07
AG
I appreciate the help, y'all are awesome!
MPython43
Implementing Field Lightening in my company right now. Build out has been a beating but we start production testing in the next few weeks. I have a feeling that will be quite the beating as well.

Hoping the $ we have spent will be well worth it...
ORAggieFan
You have a partner doing it? If so, who?
fire09
AG
We are a few months off of rolling it out and it is causing a revolt with our more tenured salespeople. I would suspect the failure (if one were to occur) would be due to lack of proper training, and infighting at higher levels as to the direction we are taking it.

I think the system as a whole is interesting though and would be very good in a transactional sales model.
MPython43
We're using Acteion in Arlington to do our build out. Jury is still out.
ORAggieFan
MPython43 said:

We're using Acteion in Arlington to do our build out. Jury is still out.
Their website uses a logo that is well over 5 years old. That enough should tell you to run

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.