Job Network
Sponsored by

Chief of Staff role

2,449 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by $30,000 Millionaire
wsjag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have seen this come up more lately as people posting on LinkedIn they have this role / seems more common in the tech sector.

Any experience with this? The one guy I knew had a meteorology degree and his biggest claim to fame was that he 'presented the most to SLT' which to me doesn't easily translate to tangible success.
harge57
AG
Pretty common in some of the organizations I have worked with. Basically executives right hand person that is not an admin. Can be an indicator of a pretty bright person. Basically that leader picked this person to be there "Go to" person.
koadie
AG
So I work for an elected official. That is a pretty common title for 2nd in command in the public sector.

Eph: 2:8
ww
AG
I did the role for a few years for four different executives, all in technology, at a big bank. It's a great role, but VERY hard to get into the role. Moving up can be hard and somewhat dependent on your exec's career moves.
Gooder Poster
AG
I too have seen this role a few times at tech companies here in Austin. It always intrigues me and then I look at the job descriptions.

Having worked as a chief of staff for a couple of different elected officials, I am always surprised that the descriptions end up requiring more technical know how and various business experience than I expected.

Hire a licensed CPA, general counsel, or skilled developer. That's not what. Chief of staff role is. A COS is there to make decisions for you so that your time isn't taken up by things you wish someone else was handling.
surveillancevantexags at gmail
Prophet00
AG
Would love to bounce some questions off you, about this type of role in the tech field.
ww
AG
Prophet00 said:

Would love to bounce some questions off you, about this type of role in the tech field.

Absolutely! Email is user name at yahoo.
Prophet00
AG
Thanks, I shot you an email.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I have a chief of staff that supports me in my role. Their job is to handle difficult and important things that I don't have the time to properly focus on and to cover for me when needed. My CoS handles my budget, contracts and certain third party relationships, runs my staff meetings, manages hiring / space needs, communications, other special projects, and performs "enforcement" when needed. I couldn't function well without the help.

My CoS is younger, highly driven, and doesn't put up with BS.
ww
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I have a chief of staff that supports me in my role. Their job is to handle difficult and important things that I don't have the time to properly focus on and to cover for me when needed. My CoS handles my budget, contracts and certain third party relationships, runs my staff meetings, manages hiring / space needs, communications, other special projects, and performs "enforcement" when needed. I couldn't function well without the help.

My CoS is younger, highly driven, and doesn't put up with BS.

This is pretty accurate for when I performed the role. Good to know it is somewhat consistent across companies/industries.
Gooder Poster
AG
Thoughts on finding a role like that outside of government? I've done it for a couple of elected officials. I like the role, but not a fan of doing it in the political environment. Performing that job without having to appease the bs of voters would be VERY appealing to me.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Besides the obvious job posting stuff, you have to know someone that can get you an in with an executive. In most companies, excluding banks, that's VP or higher. Your best bet is to have someone create the role for you based on their needs. Network like crazy. Where are you located?
Gooder Poster
AG
Austin. Been doing public affairs stuff and some lobbying. Want to get out of politics and into a company, preferably work ground up at a tech company and make myself an indispensable guy who knows he whole business and can make things happen. I've been in politics too long and it makes transitioning into something else difficult.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Go work at a start up. They'll appreciate someone with your skill set and then you can decide where to take it from there. Short of that, you'd need to pick companies headquartered there such as Dell or AMD.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.