Job Network
Sponsored by

Wanting to get paid overtime.

2,034 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys I have a question for you. I'm wanting to see if I'm being smart or selfish asking for overtime at my company.

A little background info. I have been working here for 3 years in April, entry level when I started out. I received a modest raise after my first year and was told I was graded out one of the best performance reviews in the office (which I took with a grain of salt, but still, nice to hear from your boss). About a month before the performance review for last year, i transitioned into an inside sales role. We also had just hired a new manager for the office. So when I went into my performance review, he based my performance for the year completely off the evaluations of the outside sales guys that I coordinate with. Only being a month into the new role, a lot of mistakes were being made, I was graded low, and actually ended up being put on probation with my company.

Since then I have put my nose to the grindstone and started doing everything I could to improve. I was being put through weekly evaluations with my manager up until two months ago, and while there always are new things for me to improve on, the underlying issues they had during my review were quickly addressed and taken care of. I actually liked them at that point, because although it sucked I was still having to do them, it was a nice way to meet and interact with the new boss and gain valuable insight to how he likes things run.

So now we come to today. I have been off the company probation since the new year, and in the past 3-4 months, my workload has grown considerably with me taking on any additional responsibility I can. I'm at work anywhere from 9-12 hour days, with me usually coming in on Sundays to work for 3-6 hours as well. As a result, I have been told by my boss that there have been plans to transition me in the coming months into outside sales, where I would receive a considerable bump in take home pay once I get some accounts under my belt.

However, we just had a coworker with the exact same position as me resign because of the workload. I know that I'm going to end up doing a large portion of her job until we hire and train a suitable replacement, and I'm fine with that. But I just want to be compensated, since this will likely put off my transition into outside sales several months at the very least.

So with that very long winded explanation of my situation, am I being unreasonable if I want to ask my boss to start compensating me for overtime? I just don't want to come off as the average unthankful millennial here. Also, any tips for negotiating would be highly appreciated.
Inca
AG
Jobs are generally classified as exempt or non-exempt based on the legal criteria set forth in labor laws. Asking to be paid overtime for a job that is a salaried position (and legally classified as such - meaning they are not doing something unscrupulous) would not be a great career move. IMHO
AJ02
AG
Unless your position is posted as an hourly position already, I don't think it's that simple. If it's considered "salaried", I doubt there's much they can realistically do with regards to OT. Unless they reclassify as hourly. I've only ever been salaried and I've NEVER been paid OT in 15 years.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Hey guys I have a question for you. I'm wanting to see if I'm being smart or selfish asking for overtime at my company.
You are being dumb. That would be an extremely shortsighted move.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
That's why I ask! So since asking for overtime seems to be out of the question, am I also being shortsighted to ask for a pay raise?
Ryan34
AG
AJ02 said:

Unless your position is posted as an hourly position already, I don't think it's that simple. If it's considered "salaried", I doubt there's much they can realistically do with regards to OT. Unless they reclassify as hourly. I've only ever been salaried and I've NEVER been paid OT in 15 years.

Salaried here and I can earn OT. It's paid as straight time rather than time and a half though.

But I never ask for OT. I work what needs to be worked, and let my superiors approve it or not.
powerbelly
AG
Champ Bailey said:

That's why I ask! So since asking for overtime seems to be out of the question, am I also being shortsighted to ask for a pay raise?
I would personally be more focused on the timeline for transition to outside sales.

Have an honest conversation about training up the new guy (and your replacement) and what that would mean for your job change.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
powerbelly
AG
In the long run, a successful transition into outside sales will have a much larger impact on you earning potential than a few overtime dollars today.

GrimesCoAg95
AG
You should not ask for a raise, but you should meet with your boss to clarify a few things. If you want to move to outside sales, you should ask what you can be doing now to make the transition in the coming months.

The point that your co-worker resigned, is an opportunity for you. You can offer to help with the on boarding of the new person. You can even mention that you can help them avoid some of the pitfalls you found. This will help the new person bring value to the company faster.

You mentioned being a millennial, and I am not making a judgement other than you are early in your career. It sounds like you are eager to increase your pay. You have an opportunity to increase your value to the company and gain some experience in mentoring here. That will in time help with your salary goal.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thanks. You know, I'm usually so worried about being viewed as the stereotypical millennial kid that I get scared of asking anything in return for the time I'm putting in. This is an excellent sounding board to see if my thoughts are justified or dumb.

I appreciate all the advice.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
You are wise to be weary of that because of the stereotype. When you talk to your manager, focus on bringing value to the company. As you bring more value, you become more valuable to them as well as building a better resume.
Roy coy
AG
I like seeing sound advice from this board. That "move" would have been very "millennial". You have an opportunity to really prove yourself here. Inside sales positions are generally viewed as stepping stone for ambitious emoloyees. You will be a much better salesman by understanding the processes in the office first.

Take this opportunity to learn as much as you can-- this investment will pay off in spades down the road. Life is always about "sales"- go prove yourself as a salesman - you can write your own ticket with this company or other opportunities. At that point, they won't want to lose you.

Good luck!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ask about any bonus or increased commissions on new sales.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Presley OBannons Sword
also, asking for a raise just a few weeks off of company probation doesnt seem smart either.

my advice is just keep up with the long hours until you get into outside sales. even though it may not seem like it now, in the long run it will seem like a very short period of time that you had to endure.
driftingting
AG
I'm surprised that most people take it granted that salaried jobs don't get overtime pay. I know my company usually does for engineering at least. Recently because the o&g market goes down the company temporarily approves only case by case. But nevertheless if it can be justified getting overtime pay I believe should be the way.

But things can be different in different companies. I won't be surprised that if a company doesn't pay overtime. Just never ever assume all of the companies should do that way.
combat wombat™
AG
I think that a lot of people believe that if you get paid a salary you don't get overtime - employers. Particularly at smaller companies without someone who really knows HR.
OnlyForNow
AG
In salaried and get paid straight time for anything over 49 hrs a week.
AggieOO
I got OT when I was inside sales. Moved to outside, no OT.

If I were you, I'd be looking for inefficiencies, either with you or the company, that are causing you to work so many hours.
Ulrich
I think everyone goes through stretches where you work a lot more than you get paid for.

If you're productive, you'll get paid in your next role.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.