Job Network
Sponsored by

Completely ignorant on negotiating salary - help/articles?

2,090 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dcAg
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey y'all, I've most recently been interviewing with some potential employers and for the first time these salaries are unknown to me (previous work had clearly posted and advertised salaries).

I'm looking for basic advice, good articles, or maybe links to old threads in which case, chastise me accordingly- on how to politely and effectively negotiate salary. I was asked on a recent interview what I wanted my salary to be - admittedly, I was somewhat caught off guard (as the interview was a screener) so there's probably a good chance I shot myself in the foot there or, maybe, severely undervalued myself. I could see either possibility being likely.

So for future reference I'd like to be better prepared.

What are good rules of thumb? Dos and donts ?
Gooder Poster
AG
Go search on Glassdoor, Indeed, (and maybe other sites I don't know about?) that can offer clues about the pay range for certain positions.

The advice I've always read, and the strategy I ineffectively use, is tor throw the question back at them and just say "well, I don't know what pay range you guys have marked down, but I am flexible depending on benefits packages..." etc, etc.

They hold all the leverage, though, so they just respond with "well, what's the range you want to be in" and then I'm out of ways to hedge the question without looking like I'm avoiding the topic.

I know that's not helpful, but just an experiential data point for you.
surveillancevantexags at gmail
Ulrich
I've typically responded with something like "it should be at least x to y (make sure you've thought about it and researched ahead of time) sandwiched between a bunch of obfuscation about total compensation, benefits, characteristics of the job, etc.

I make the language and range broad enough that I'm still pretty flexible to avoid throwing money away. All I'm really trying to do is avoid wasting time if they are willing to spend x and I'm already making double that. It's happened to me before; hiring managers can be just as irrational about what they can get for x dollars as candidates can be about thinking they are worth y.
AJ02
AG
If someone figures this out, let me know. I've alwats hated the question "what salary are you looking for?"

I don't want to low-ball myself, but also don't want to aim too high and get my resume put in the trash right off the bat. And of course, as someone else mentioned I don't want to waste my (and their) time going through several rounds of interviews only to find out they're paying $40k less than what I'm hoping for. Glassdoor is a start, but so many people use the same job title for different positions. Example: a buyer at one place might be a glorified order pusher and just needs a high school diploma. But at another place you're negotiating million dollar contracts and need an MBA. But both are called "buyers". Hard to accurately determine what the market rate is for that position.
Gooder Poster
AG
AJ02 said:

If someone figures this out, let me know. I've alwats hated the question "what salary are you looking for?"

I don't want to low-ball myself, but also don't want to aim too high and get my resume put in the trash right off the bat.
One of the jobs I have been interviewing for is one that I saw on Glassdoor has a salary range at or above my most recent pay level.

During the phone screening, I answered the salary question as I always do - by saying "my total compensation is currently around _____."

I don't think the recruiter heard me say "total compensation" so she thought it was my take home. She said "oh no, that's high than the top end of the salary range for this position."

I had to walk that back a bit and say "well, I'm still interested in having the conversation and seeing how the numbers come out as we discuss everything." She agree to move me forward.
surveillancevantexags at gmail
Petrino1
Be honest and tell them what it would take for you to make a move. If you're making $50k and it would $75k to leave, then tell them that. They will either say yes or no. What you don't want to do is overshoot yourself and price yourself out of the job. Also, you want to make it look like you are happy in your current role and it would take a competitive offer to make the move, they will get the hint.

I think too many times candidates want to play this song and dance of not saying how much theyre making or giving a desired salary range. That only makes you look underpaid. If you've been doing your job for a while then you should know more or less how much competitors pay for similar years of experience. If you don't know, then do some research: Talk to former coworkers, reach out to some head hunters, etc.

Also, remember that base and bonus are just one part of the total package. You have to take into account everything (base, salary, stock awards, 401k match, pension, vacation days, 9/80 schedule, sick time, work commute etc). For example, my current company matches 8% on the 401k, has a pension, and is half a mile away from my house. I've had other companies make slightly better base salary offers, but their 401k match sucked and they didnt have a pension, also the work commute would have been double. In those cases I would have been taking a pay cut in total compensation, even though their base salary offers were a little higher. Just something to think about.
IrishTxAggie
AG
1) I've never told them what my current salary was
2) Use Glassdoor to give yourself an idea of what similar positions pay in industry
3) If you know of a headhunter that posts listings for similar positions online,. look what range he is putting in the posts

When asked what I would like as my salary, I typically try to deflect and say I would have to know what the overall package would include before giving a number (benefits, vacation, 401K, etc.). I always try to make them put the number out first, which almost turns into a full-on stalemate because I was/am in sales and I typically interviewed with another salesperson. The person interviewing you knows what they're working with and obviously you never want to leave money on the table.
Ronnie
AG
Quote:

For example, my current company matches 8% on the 401k, has a pension, and is half a mile away from my house. I've had other companies make slightly better base salary offers, but their 401k match sucked and they didnt have a pension, also the work commute would have been double

So a mile? Pretty good still. ;-)

Astroag
AG
question drives most candidates nuts because what the company pays for that position should literally have zero to do with what you currently make or have made in the past. If they want to screen candidates more effectively, they should post the range for the position DoE.

additionally, I've always heard never give a range for salary expectations as you will almost certainly get offered close to the lower end of the range, fwiw (or at least make that bottom end of the range a number you will be happy with)

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
mazag08
AG
I've always said "I'm interviewing in the range of $$$$$$. Give a specific amount. Don't give a low end or high end. Follow it up with why you think you are worth that much while tailoring it to the job you are searching for.

"I'm interviewing for Marketing Manager in the $65,000 range based on my experience leading marketing campaigns with x company, coupled with my knowledge of marketing software and systems and my drive to be a leader and make an immediate impact for the company. "

Keep it short and simple while being specific as to why you deserve that pay.
Petrino1
Another tip is to try and get multiple offers. This will strengthen your negotiating power and if you play your cards right, can play the offers against each other. Also, letting another company know that you are expecting another offer soon, will get them to act faster and they will likely make their best offer.
Premium
AG
ea1060 said:

Be honest and tell them what it would take for you to make a move. If you're making $50k and it would $75k to leave, then tell them that. They will either say yes or no. What you don't want to do is overshoot yourself and price yourself out of the job. Also, you want to make it look like you are happy in your current role and it would take a competitive offer to make the move, they will get the hint.

I think too many times candidates want to play this song and dance of not saying how much theyre making or giving a desired salary range. That only makes you look underpaid. If you've been doing your job for a while then you should know more or less how much competitors pay for similar years of experience. If you don't know, then do some research: Talk to former coworkers, reach out to some head hunters, etc.

Also, remember that base and bonus are just one part of the total package. You have to take into account everything (base, salary, stock awards, 401k match, pension, vacation days, 9/80 schedule, sick time, work commute etc). For example, my current company matches 8% on the 401k, has a pension, and is half a mile away from my house . I've had other companies make slightly better base salary offers, but their 401k match sucked and they didnt have a pension, also the work commute would have been double. In those cases I would have been taking a pay cut in total compensation, even though their base salary offers were a little higher. Just something to think about.

Oh noes. The dreaded one mile commute!!
Premium
AG
Beat me to it...
BenFiasco14
AG
ea1060 said:

Another tip is to try and get multiple offers. This will strengthen your negotiating power and if you play your cards right, can play the offers against each other. Also, letting another company know that you are expecting another offer soon, will get them to act faster and they will likely make their best offer.
Can other interviews work in that way too? Or just offers? That'd stress me out as most places have pretty strict constraints on when you have to accept/deny the offer
agdaddy04
AG
This can backfire pretty quick.
NoHo Hank
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I don't agree. You can't go back to the well 3-4 times, but using an offer from another company to anchor your comp higher is almost always a great strategy. You can even use it to puff the first company up. Something to the effect of "Look, I like your company for reasons X, Y, and Z, but right now I'm being offered $20,000 more at another company. If you could get more competitive and increase my offer by $12,850 I'd feel confident accepting the offer right now." You're giving them a discount, which makes them feel valued. Tone should always be friendly here - you're excited to work for these guys over the other offer!

For this style, I like to offer quasi ultimatums - they are not really ultimatums because they give me the ability to keep negotiating. I don't say this is my walk away number, but they give the recruiter a sense we're approaching my limit. You can further drive that home with specific numbers -- never ask for $10,000 more. Ask for $10,460. It sounds like the number is more contemplated, which gives it credibility. If they ask why, just hide behind an excel sheet - based on my assessment of the two jobs, this is what I've calculated I'm willing to give up in comp to for the other perks of the job. Even here, in defending your number, you're emphasizing the fit between you and the company.
Petrino1
john32f said:

agdaddy04 said:

I don't agree. You can't go back to the well 3-4 times, but using an offer from another company to anchor your comp higher is almost always a great strategy. You can even use it to puff the first company up. Something to the effect of "Look, I like your company for reasons X, Y, and Z, but right now I'm being offered $20,000 more at another company. If you could get more competitive and increase my offer by $12,850 I'd feel confident accepting the offer right now." You're giving them a discount, which makes them feel valued. Tone should always be friendly here - you're excited to work for these guys over the other offer!

For this style, I like to offer quasi ultimatums - they are not really ultimatums because they give me the ability to keep negotiating. I don't say this is my walk away number, but they give the recruiter a sense we're approaching my limit. You can further drive that home with specific numbers -- never ask for $10,000 more. Ask for $10,460. It sounds like the number is more contemplated, which gives it credibility. If they ask why, just hide behind an excel sheet - based on my assessment of the two jobs, this is what I've calculated I'm willing to give up in comp to for the other perks of the job. Even here, in defending your number, you're emphasizing the fit between you and the company.
This is basically what I did recently when negotiating offers. I interviewed with Company A and told them I was expecting a strong offer from Company B soon, but that I would prefer to work for Company A. Company A knew my current compensation package, and made me a really competitive offer a few hours after the interview. They may have offered me that salary regardless, but either way I got the salary I wanted and got them to speed things up.
Ulrich
Sometimes it helps if they just know that you have other options, even without getting into what the other company is offering.
dcAg
A&M career center should have statistics on different jobs. You can use them any time even after youve graduated.

Always request a signing bonus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.