Job Network
Sponsored by

In the public sector, trying to get into the private sector

1,179 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by koadie
koadie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

I've been in the public sector for 4 years and am trying to get into the private sector.

The skills I've acquired are:

Customer outreach
Public Relations
Customer service
Public speaking
Data management
State Level Lobbying
Government Relations
Consultation regarding laws and policy
Grant Writting
Department Management

The problem I face is many jobs in the private sector require me to have a law degree with my skill set. I don't have that.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Edit: feel free to email me or reach out if you want specifics: codymholder2012@gmail.com

Thank you,

Cody

Eph: 2:8
koadie
AG
Bump, looking for advice, not necessarily job hunting on the board.

powerbelly
AG
What kind of work are you looking for?

I think your experience could be tailored to fit a number of roles that you may not be considering (PR, Sales, Marketing, etc).
koadie
AG
I'm actually open to hearing anything out. I'd be interested in Marketing and PR sales. Because of my history with case management and the amount of work I've done with interacting with people, large companies have employee liaisons with complaints, so HR.

I'm just looking for a foot in the door somewhere to work hard.

To be honest, for me the application process is the hardest process.

powerbelly
AG
I would carefully craft your resume to each specific job you are applying for. It is time consuming, but should show you have developed the skills needed to succeed.

The biggest challenge public sector workers have in my experience is explaining how their work history applies to the job they are applying for.
koadie
AG
That's the crux of the issue. The work translates but the verbiage isn't exactly the same

powerbelly
AG
koadie said:

That's the crux of the issue. The work translates but the verbiage isn't exactly the same
Do you know someone in the private sector that can work on the wording? It sounds like you are close, you just need the final revision to make sure it reads correctly.
Ag_07
AG
Sounds like you'd be a perfect fit for a PR/Community Relations position in oil and gas. Maybe even a role in ROW or lease management.

I'd look into those kinds of positions to start off.
koadie
AG
Yes. My brother in law actually works for a large Oil and Gas company and has been helping me. Had a a job opportunity I applied for there and it didn't even get past the initial screening.

powerbelly
AG
Awesome, keep working on iterations. Look at the job reqs and make sure your resume "answers the mail" with the right verbiage.
koadie
AG
Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.