Job Network
Sponsored by

Laid Off.....again. Looking for contacts

5,337 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dcAg
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a licensed civil PE (Texas) with 12 years in O&G in Houston and have been in a variety of roles (engineer, project engineer to engineering manager most recently). Unfortunately, I feel my time in oil and gas is coming to an end. I was incredibly fortunate in finding my latest role after having been unemployed and actively searching for 15 months. This recent layoff really took the rug out from under me seeing as how it was a great bump career-wise yet only lasted a short while. I guess I can take comfort in knowing that they made cuts across the board and that I wasn't the only engineer they axed, but it still doesn't make it any easier considering I was hoping to grow my career there for a bit.

Most in my network of O&G folks aren't hiring or have all been laid off themselves and it seems all the civil works side of things view me as either a liability or an engineering pariah given my previous work history. With that being said, I'm still plugging away and trying to diversify my options.

If any of you fine folks have a contact at Burns-McDonnell in the engineering or project management group, I'd greatly appreciate it. I feel like given my background, going the PM route is my best option, but am flexible enough for damn near anything.

I'm also not opposed to leaving engineering altogether. I looked at various fields last time I was applying for jobs, but didn't give them much thought. Now with the continued state of O&G, and few outfits needing engineers with my level of experience, I'm strongly considering bailing out.

I've reached out to several on the board already, but am always grateful for the Aggie network and the folks who have feedback (good or bad) and the contacts they provide. While I didn't get my last job from anyone on this board, it was a great sounding board and did generate some legitimate potential leads that weren't quite right for me at the time.

TIA!
Maddox2013
Leslie Duke - Is the Group President & General Manager.
lduke@burnsmcd.com

Holley Rainwater - Corporate Recruiter
hrainwater@burnsmcd.com

Both in Houston.

FC12
I sent you an email.
civilized05
AG
Cardinalsaggie05 said:

Leslie Duke - Is the Group President & General Manager.
lduke@burnsmcd.com

Holley Rainwater - Corporate Recruiter
hrainwater@burnsmcd.com

Both in Houston.

Thanks, Cardinal. Is there a name I should say referred me? Feel free to send me an email if you'd like. user at gmail.
Astroag
AG
I'm sure I can't be the only one wondering about this, "it seems all the civil works side of things view me as either a liability or an engineering pariah given my previous work history."

????

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Hollywood Hogan
Astroag said:

I'm sure I can't be the only one wondering about this, "it seems all the civil works side of things view me as either a liability or an engineering pariah given my previous work history."

????

I've heard a manager say, "If he came from oil dont bother with it, he will probably leave when the prices are up", maybe that's what he's referring to?

Edit: Wasn't my manager, or from the company that I work for
civilized05
AG
Hollywood Hogan said:

I've heard a manager say, "If he came from oil dont bother with it, he will probably leave when the prices are up", maybe that's what he's referring to?

Edit: Wasn't my manager, or from the company that I work for
Pretty much this. I've heard from numerous sources that most folks in the civil works sector just flat out don't want to hire O&G folks because a) we're too far removed from the types of engineering done or b) they feel they can't compete salary-wise and O&G folks will bolt back to the higher salary once the market rebounds.

While I can empathize with their line of thinking, I do feel they're passing over some really talented people due to a perceived attitude. Will they get burned? Possibly, but doesn't that mean that maybe the salary should be commensurate with the level of skill needed. There could also be folks, like myself, out there who are tired of the ups and downs and are willing to sacrifice a little financially to get more stability. The guy I replaced at my last job left for that very reason.

At any rate, I can't thank you enough for those of you who've reached out or provided some contacts. If I haven't followed up by tonight, I'll be hitting it again first thing in the morning.
mrg0901
How do you feel about renewable construction (Solar / Wind)? I was in oil amd gas and was laid off. Made the switch to renewables and its way better! Email me at mrg0901@gmail.com
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
mrg0901 said:

How do you feel about renewable construction (Solar / Wind)? I was in oil amd gas and was laid off. Made the switch to renewables and its way better! Email me at mrg0901@gmail.com

May I ask what you do?
RangerRick9211
AG
I'm a Civil PE in Houston; 8 years with the same EPC working on petrochem projects. We haven't experienced the same fluctuations as the upstream market. However, I am actively looking to leave Texas which will require an industry change.

Two weeks ago, I spammed anyone on ENR's list I was interested in, and had openings in the locations we're trying to move to. No offers yet, but I've interviewed with one EPC and three consulting firms in Portland, Seattle, Denver and DC. Along with the PE, I'm a PMP and the consulting market seems hungry for the designations; regardless of background. I've just stuck to construction is construction, regardless of market. Cost, schedule, code, design, management, etc. - isn't different between sectors. So, maybe look into taking the PMP or something similar?

As I mentioned, no offers yet so I can't comment on the compensation delta. But I've been stating my current comp. and only asking for a cost-of-living adjustment. It hasn't excluded me from any interviewing opportunities yet.

Good luck! Keep is updated!
civilized05
AG
mrg0901 - sent you an email. I had just gotten wind (pun intended) of the renewables industry yesterday and had never really considered it.

So far I've got an in-person interview lined up with a petrochem company today for a CSA role, so we'll see how that goes. Had a great phone call with the main HR recruiter yesterday afternoon after a really great coaching call from ABATTBQ87 earlier in the morning. It'd be nice if they wanted to move the process along quickly, but I'm not expecting too much. At the least I'm hoping to move on to whatever next rounds of interviewing they have.

civilized05
AG
So, some good news...I was offered a position with the petrochem company I interviewed with last Friday. I was honestly shocked to say the least. I felt I interviewed well and answered all their questions (mostly technical/project related) in a way that tied my oil and gas experience directly to the project at hand.

I felt good about my prospects when I left, but didn't want to get my hopes up since I felt the same way about an interview I had last year with a different petrochem company that went nowhere.

With that being said, I've still got a couple interviews lined up this week that I'm planning on going to and possibly some more that haven't materialized yet, but in all honesty there's no reason for me not to accept the offer. It's out of oil and gas, not much less than what I was making, benefits are good, some travel, closer commute, etc. About the only downside is the potential for a relocation in a couple years, which I can address when the time comes.

I've gotten so many good leads this time around from folks on this board and through my various network contacts both in and out of oil and gas. A one week turnaround is world's better than the 15-month turnaround I had last time. About the only downside is my kids are gonna be bummed I've got to go back to work so soon. They loved having me around last time.

If anything, I'll continue to work the leads I have in the event something doesn't pan out with this opportunity. With the experience I'll gain in this new position though, I can see it being a lot easier to move between industries in the future should the need arise.

I'll post an update once I've made a decision.
Hollywood Hogan
civilized05 said:

So, some good news...I was offered a position with the petrochem company I interviewed with last Friday. I was honestly shocked to say the least. I felt I interviewed well and answered all their questions (mostly technical/project related) in a way that tied my oil and gas experience directly to the project at hand.

I felt good about my prospects when I left, but didn't want to get my hopes up since I felt the same way about an interview I had last year with a different petrochem company that went nowhere.

With that being said, I've still got a couple interviews lined up this week that I'm planning on going to and possibly some more that haven't materialized yet, but in all honesty there's no reason for me not to accept the offer. It's out of oil and gas, not much less than what I was making, benefits are good, some travel, closer commute, etc. About the only downside is the potential for a relocation in a couple years, which I can address when the time comes.

I've gotten so many good leads this time around from folks on this board and through my various network contacts both in and out of oil and gas. A one week turnaround is world's better than the 15-month turnaround I had last time. About the only downside is my kids are gonna be bummed I've got to go back to work so soon. They loved having me around last time.

If anything, I'll continue to work the leads I have in the event something doesn't pan out with this opportunity. With the experience I'll gain in this new position though, I can see it being a lot easier to move between industries in the future should the need arise.

I'll post an update once I've made a decision.
Good to hear, man. Keep us updated, and goodluck on your future path!
civilized05
AG
So as of next Monday I will no longer be unemployed.

I received two offers - the petrochem offer and an offer with a drilling contractor. At the end of the day, I decided to go with the petrochem company, as it was more of a vertical step for my career and out of O&G, even though it was a little less salary-wise.

While neither were perfect, both were great offers and it was an incredibly tough call to make.

Interestingly enough, both offers came from contacts that I had made that directly passed my resume to the right folks at both companies. I can't stress enough how important it is to network, network, network and never turn down the opportunity for a face to face meeting with someone. Whether it be through professional organizations or the Aggie network, get out there and meet people.

Thanks again for everyone who reached out and if I'm ever in a position of needing a new job or new employee, rest assured that this will be one of the first stops I make.

E
AG
awesome news!
FC12
Glad it worked out!
MaroonStain
ABATTBQ87
AG
civilized05 said:

mrg0901 - sent you an email. I had just gotten wind (pun intended) of the renewables industry yesterday and had never really considered it.

So far I've got an in-person interview lined up with a petrochem company today for a CSA role, so we'll see how that goes. Had a great phone call with the main HR recruiter yesterday afternoon after a really great coaching call from ABATTBQ87 earlier in the morning. It'd be nice if they wanted to move the process along quickly, but I'm not expecting too much. At the least I'm hoping to move on to whatever next rounds of interviewing they have.

Glad I was able to help you
USAF_Ag12
Holy crap, I used to live in the same apartment as Holley. Small world! Haha... good luck op!
dcAg
Great job Ags and Congratulations!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.