Job Network
Sponsored by

Aggie Law Grad looking for a firm job

3,932 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BenFiasco14
ngalloway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy

Law class of '17 interested in starting at a firm in Austin, DFW, Houston, or San Antonio. I was Law Review and #10 (top 7%). Most of my background is in transactional practice, but I'm interested in litigation as well. I've worked at the Entrepreneurship Law Clinic at A&M in Fort Worth (entity formations, company agreements,and websites terms of service), an Upstream Oil and Gas Company (multistate MSAs) and a boutique Estate Planning and Probate Firm (wills, probates, bankruptcies, entity formations, tax prep).

Any leads in one of the major legal markets would be appreciated. You can message me here or my gmail, ngalloway1.
Dr. Alister MacKenzie
Is the legal market this bad? You sound like a great candidate. Good luck.
ngalloway
AG
Thanks. The legal market isn't horrible, but it's hard to get started at the firms I'm interested in. Most either want people with a few years experience (which I have, but not as an attorney) or someone who can work with a summer internship hiring pipeline that I missed out on.
Astroag
AG
Its pretty bad...lol...unless you are from a tier 1. That along with the over-saturation of attorneys makes the salaries for non-top candidates pretty low especially relative to the cost of school

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
End Of Message
AG
What firms are you interested in joining?
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
ngalloway
AG
In particular, Haynes and Boone because one of my old bosses worked there and spoke highly of it and Norton Rose Fulbright because I've noticed they seem to have a bunch of Aggies. Bracewell and Jackson Walker are also high on my list, but most other big firms would be a great opportunity too.
BenFiasco14
AG
Astroag said:

Its pretty bad...lol...unless you are from a tier 1. That along with the over-saturation of attorneys makes the salaries for non-top candidates pretty low especially relative to the cost of school

It's bad even if you're tier one unless you get into the recruiting pipeline and get offered to come back after your 2L summer. For reference, that'd be about 40-50% if people at UT law school (14 nationwide)

If you're out of that traditional path, it's a miserable gauntlet unless you know somebody or can network your way into something, which in and of itself can be a gauntlet
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Astroag
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Astroag said:

It's bad even if you're tier one unless you get into the recruiting pipeline and get offered to come back after your 2L summer. For reference, that'd be about 40-50% if people at UT law school (14 nationwide)

If you're out of that traditional path, it's a miserable gauntlet unless you know somebody or can network your way into something, which in and of itself can be a gauntlet
Agreed...

Astroag
AG
ngalloway said:

In particular, Haynes and Boone because one of my old bosses worked there and spoke highly of it and Norton Rose Fulbright because I've noticed they seem to have a bunch of Aggies. Bracewell and Jackson Walker are also high on my list, but most other big firms would be a great opportunity too.
with that list, you probably should have been a clerk there if you are hoping to get in as a new grad (especially going to school at Tamu). Otherwise, you'll need to cut your teeth at a smaller shop and network like crazy.

End Of Message
AG
Astroag said:

ngalloway said:

with that list, you probably should have been a clerk there if you are hoping to get in as a new grad (especially going to school at Tamu). Otherwise, you'll need to cut your teeth at a smaller shop and network like crazy.
This. I worked my way through 2 mid-size firms and a stint in government before I landed position at a top-tier firm.

FWIW, Texas A&M (B.S., M.S.), STCL (J.D.) - Deans List, etc.

Networking is key and so is quality experience. If youre in Austin, Id be happy to introduce you to the O&G legal network and suggest events to network.
Astroag
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Astroag said:

ngalloway said:

This. I worked my way through 2 mid-size firms and a stint in government before I landed position at a top-tier firm.

FWIW, Texas A&M (B.S., M.S.), STCL (J.D.) - Deans List, etc.

Networking is key and so is quality experience. If youre in Austin, Id be happy to introduce you to the O&G legal network and suggest events to network.
How is the O&G market up there as far as work goes (non-title stuff)?

End Of Message
AG
Strong if you're steeped in litigation with a solid understanding of RRC rules and regs (I.e. lots of spin off work originating at RRC with concurrent DC suits)
Gooder Poster
AG
Just saw this posting. Might be a good opportunity for you. Not sure what your work experience looks like, though.

https://tsys.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TSYS/job/Austin-Texas-USA/Regulatory-Counsel_R0004064-1

FWIW, it's usually a bad idea to require your government affairs head to also do legal work, much less require them to be an attorney. It can be advantageous for them to be an attorney, but I have never subscribed to the belief that they should be one. I mention this because it's likely a sign of a company that wants to save money by hiring someone that can cover multiple bases, vs having a quality legal support for the GR person/team.
surveillancevantexags at gmail
gig em 02
ngalloway said:

Thanks. The legal market isn't horrible, but it's hard to get started at the firms I'm interested in. Most either want people with a few years experience (which I have, but not as an attorney) or someone who can work with a summer internship hiring pipeline that I missed out on.

Did they have an on campus interview process? If so, why did you miss out on it?
ngalloway
AG
A&M has OCIs, and I applied to all the law firms with OCIs, but ultimately nothing came of it. In retrospect I should have looked beyond what career services offered. There were about three firms with OCIs, so that would have helped me hedge my bets.
gig em 02
When did you graduate? What have you been doing since then? The class of 2017 at large firms already has 5 months of experience, what do you have? What year did you graduate from A&M? Why should I hire you instead of someone that went to a top 50 school out of state? Why should I hire you rather than a second year associate from a mid-size firm? What specifically is it about those firms that you like?

You don't need to tell me your answers (I'd read them) but you need to have answers for those questions even if you just meet someone randomly at a happy hour.

As others have said, get a job and make a name for yourself in the legal community. It just sounds to me like you are chasing money and I think you would be really disappointed when you got to big law and realized you are surrounded by soulless people always looking to stab you in the back.

Good luck!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah those firms like mine usually have defined recruitment plans from specific tier 1 programs. They often pull new hires directly from their intern programs or from on of their competitors intern program. It's tough to get in as a new hire without those prerequisites
gig em 02
For any future lawyers that read this thread. If you go to A&M law and have dreams of that big law life and are in the top 10% after the first year TRANSFER.

UH, Texas, Baylor, SMU will all provide a much better opportunity for big law especially if you can get in the top 10%. (Maybe even STCL but I don't know so I didn't want to start an argument about whether they should be included in that list, someone else can probably confirm on them)

Not to pile on this guy, but I'm sure some enterprising law student will see this thread on a google search over the next 10 years
BenFiasco14
AG
gig em 02 said:

For any future lawyers that read this thread. If you go to A&M law and have dreams of that big law life and are in the top 10% after the first year TRANSFER.

UH, Texas, Baylor, SMU will all provide a much better opportunity for big law especially if you can get in the top 10%. (Maybe even STCL but I don't know so I didn't want to start an argument about whether they should be included in that list, someone else can probably confirm on them)

Not to pile on this guy, but I'm sure some enterprising law student will see this thread on a google search over the next 10 years
This.

Texas - top 50% you'll get big Law interviews. 40% of the class will get biglaw, maybe a bit more. If you're below the 50% mark or fall out of the OCI pipeline you're probably toast as far as biglaw concerns

UH, SMU, Baylor - top 25-30% of the class will likely land you big Law interviews at oci. Probably 20-25% of the class will end up in Big Law. Also worth noting UH and SMU will be heavily loaded to Houston and Dallas, respectively. I'm not sure about Baylor.

STCL - top ten 10% for Biglaw, also probably restricted strictly to Houston.

St Mary's probably need to be the very tip top of your class, like literally one of the top five students, to get big Law.

A&M, while on the rise, doesn't have much of an OCI program but it's tuned in well with the local ft worth community. Be one of the very top students and you might be able to get a decent job in Fort Worth. Big laws probably of the question unless you're at the very tip top of your class and network.
End Of Message
AG
FWIW, I'm top 15% STCL (2010) and am uniquely situated in oil and gas litigation and PUC/RRC hearings. I live in San Antonio and work in Austin. If you'd like an itroduction to either market, I'm happy to help.
BoDog
AG
Is family law easy/easier to penetrate regardless of law school? How is the pay with a smaller boutique firm?
aggiespartan
AG
BoDog said:

Is family law easy/easier to penetrate regardless of law school? How is the pay with a smaller boutique firm?
Family law generally pays less and is more emotionally stressful. As someone who has been practicing family law for the last 6 years, it is my advice to stay away from it.
BenFiasco14
AG
BoDog said:

As a general rule of thumb (with obvious exceptions):

Criminal, family, low to mid-stakes personal injury (and as an extension - insurance defense) are the three "easiest" areas to get into but it still is not easy to find a job as an entry level attorney, regardless of your law school.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.