Job Network
Sponsored by

The Aggie Network Doesn't Exist

20,898 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
JPAggie2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know Alliantgroup in the galleria area is hiring extremely aggressively. Now it's in tax consulting but they hire from all disciplines to better speak to their clients from the same perspective. They teach you tax, easy to learn the niche they focus in.

Go there if you are looking for a job to pay the bills until you find a job you like. There are TONS of Aggies working there. One will be more jab happy to put your resume to the top and at least get you a phone interview
biggolfboy
AG
Bump! I posted an update.
agdaddy04
AG
Really good to see your update Oilman
GigEm04
AG
Unfortunately I'm not a believer either.
cypress-ag
AG
GigEm04 said:

Feeling the same way myself.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Aggie_Oil_Man said:

Bump! I posted an update.
Glad to hear things have been going your way man! God is good. Praying for you and your wife.
500,000ags
AG
You are a very good writer and should consider a blog.
zooguy96
The Aggie network is not perfect. Had a connection where I got a job I absolutely hated. Had another where 3/5 interviewers were Aggies, and that's probably why I got the job. Also, loved the job. It is what you make it. If you imagine it to be this magical panacea to fix all your problems, you'll be mistaken.

Living in Texas is was helpful; in TN, not so much.
Always_Right
AG
GigEm04 said:

Its an overblown marketing tool the university and Aggies use to bolster the strength of an A&M degree. Its never worked for me and any other Aggie I know. My jobs have come from family connections or friends who "knew" someone.
jh0400
AG
Great_I_Am said:

GigEm04 said:

Its an overblown marketing tool the university and Aggies use to bolster the strength of an A&M degree. Its never worked for me and any other Aggie I know. My jobs have come from family connections or friends who "knew" someone.

I can assure you it does in some cases. I'm one of the hiring managers for a rotational program in my company, and I absolutely give preference to Aggies if two candidates are close in interview and experience. We recruit A&M, UT, UH, Rice, and a few OOS schools, and I've managed to get half of our slots to kids from A&M. Like most things, you get out what you put in.
xfactor91
OP: Thoughts and prayers sent to you! You are going through a bad part of life, but things will turn for you. Hang in there brother. This Aggie is following you now.

I have been out of work for over a year now, and I am now 50. I have MS degree from A&M and can do almost anything in Python, but employers won't hire me because of my age.

Always_Right
AG
Good to hear but in general for most Aggies its not as impactful as many would like to think.
agdaddy04
AG
It is what you make of it.
Dr. Alister MacKenzie
It's no different than other big state schools of decent reputation anymore
Dark Helmet
Aggie network hasn't been a thing for decades. Only reason all these organizations recruit A&M is because the school produces decent employees, which is honestly a rare thing. Aggie network never got my foot in the door for anything, only thing that did was A&M's reputation. I've never been hired by another Aggie and another Aggie has never reached out to me despite spending way too much time, effort, and money on local Aggie clubs.

Just isn't a thing in the 21st century.
SlackerAg
AG
wxman2005 said:

I have been out of work for over a year now, and I am now 50. I have MS degree from A&M and can do almost anything in Python, but employers won't hire me because of my age.

We are eerily similar, and I worry about the very same thing.
There was a job posting I saw at a Python meetup that you can try:

"hi all! We are looking for a python developer to work on creating a new platform for us using good coding practices. If you have 5ish yrs experience in BDD/TDD, Django, Python, PostgreSQL, Agile methodologies, and would love to work on an exciting project (no legacy code!!) please connect! Tashi at tnibber at usglobalmail.com"
jaggiemaggie
AG
wxman2005 said:

OP: Thoughts and prayers sent to you! You are going through a bad part of life, but things will turn for you. Hang in there brother. This Aggie is following you now.

Are you in Houston?
cypress-ag
AG
wxman2005 said:

Age is truly an issue after 50. I've been in sales for the last 15 years and have been out since June of 2017. My background of sales was very specific and there are limited positions in my market place. Called on C level contacts and know I still have what it takes. My interviews always go to the final round and I'm cut. I see who they hire and they're 30 something employees. Should have moved to a directors role earlier on but didn't want to take the pay cut. Feel like I need to Control/Alt/Delete my career path.
Pepper Brooks
AG
If you use the aggie network as a means of connecting with other successful ags then it's still as impactful as it has ever been. That said, it's on you to sell yourself and develop the relationship after obtaining the referral. I get the feeling that a lot of recent grads and alumni think they're going to be handed a job just because they're an ag. A degree from A&M does not entitle you to a free lunch but it may give you the edge if the person hiring appreciates it and you're qualified in every other way.
Dark Helmet
Degree from A&M only gives you an "edge" if the only applicant is a Phoenix or some other poor fool who paid for an online degree in terms of hiring advantages.

Degree from A&M gives you an "edge" in navigating office politics.
EnviroAg
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

If you use the aggie network as a means of connecting with other successful ags then it's still as impactful as it has ever been. That said, it's on you to sell yourself and develop the relationship after obtaining the referral. I get the feeling that a lot of recent grads and alumni think they're going to be handed a job just because they're an ag. A degree from A&M does not entitle you to a free lunch but it may give you the edge if the person hiring appreciates it and you're qualified in every other way.
x10000
Farmer1906
AG
My first boss out of school was an Aggie. The company he worked for recruited from A&M.

My college roommate was hired by GM and moved to MI. GM didn't recruit A&M until he got hired and now he's down once a year doing interviews and working with the "race car" organization (I forget the actual name).

I feel like most Aggies will do what they can within reason to help bring in other Aggies. It's not some magica get hired club, but it helps in your career.
HollywoodBQ
AG
My Zip Ol' Lady went to work for GM right out of A&M.
He spent 5 glorious years in Marion, Indiana before finding his way back to Arlington.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.