Job Network
Sponsored by

The Aggie Network Doesn't Exist

20,892 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
biggolfboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hatintu
AG
I feel ya brother. Just hang in there and something will come up. I lost my job in January of last year. Became re-employed in a new career in May but then work pretty much stopped at the end of Sept. so I'm not searching again and/or waiting on my company to pick up some work.

I also know what it is like to have a wife with cancer (my wife has throat cancer currently). Just know that the Aggie network will pay off you just gotta give it time. Let everyone get their budgets approved for 2018 and I garuntee you'll get some calls. Work this board hard is all I can say. I applied for anywhere from 50 to 100 jobs per day last year and didn't get a single call. Only calls I got came from this board so hang in there. Maybe post a resume.

Just know you arent alone and I promise the Aggie network is alive and well. Just give it time to work it's magic.
biggolfboy
AG
hatintu
AG
I teared up as I read this because I'm yet to have an interaction with someone who gets that they just don't get it.
BrazosDog02
AG
Ags, sometimes the aggie network doesn't do "jobs".
It's not just a static entity or a superficial thing. This thread is a pretty good example of the aggie network doing its thing.

My first job came from a tsip. A really great one. I met another tsip that became a good friend and through him I found my second job. Having been in oil and gas and losing my full time job over 1 year ago, I've gotten several leads and advice through this board that have finally resulted in contract work. Indeed, the Aggie Network is a funny thing. It works, just not how you want it to when you want it to. Such is life. Hang in there, Ag.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Are you set on Pet. Eng work or open to other things in energy?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Sounds like you've been through a lot off the field. Hang in there.

However... let me clue you in about something I've been associated with all of my life - The Oil Business.

Oil is a commodity business. All that matters is the price of a barrel of oil. It doesn't matter if its from Russia, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela or Alaska or wherever.

When the price of oil is high - i.e. $100/bbl, the industry booms and there are plenty of jobs.
When the price of oil is low - i.e. under $30/bbl. the industry grinds to a halt and it's very difficult for anybody to find work. Everybody gets laid off.

Oil comes out of the ground or the ocean floor wherever they find it. And that "wherever" ain't The Woodlands.

One of the most important things my father ever told me is "ya gotta go where the work is". In his case, that was Puerto Rico, Alaska, Saudia Arabia 2x, Indonesia, etc.

One of my best friends is a PETE grad from the mid-1990s and he's enjoyed a great run but the past two years have been a rough time for him.

I'm also close to a recent PETE grad who graduated at the top of his class and got a job working offshore in a part of the world that I have no desire to travel to (see earlier advice from my dad). I think a lot of PETE grads from the past 5-10 years assumed that they'd all have cushy office jobs in Houston making beaucoups dollars. The reality is when that commodity price bottoms out, jobs dry up. When it tops out - which might never happen again, jobs will be plentiful.

And with respect to the Aggie Network working/not-working, this thread/post is an example of the Aggie Network working for you.

From 1974 to 1986, my family enjoyed a wild ride on the back of the price of a barrel of oil. Your time will come. But... "Ya gotta go where the work is" when that time comes. And that might be Southeast Asia, it might be offshore in the Gulf of Mexico or the North Sea or it could even be in Africa.

powerbelly
AG
Well said.
AJ02
AG
I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. Your post speaks to me, as I have been feeling similarly lately. I don't have the awful cancer to deal with, but I feel like I have just had crap luck when it comes to jobs ever since graduating and I can't think of a single time where the Aggie Network has come through with a big break for me. Like you said, it's frustrating to see so many others have so much success and for it to seem "easy" for them. Meanwhile I feel like all I've faced in my career is layoffs and contract positions that don't pan out. Contract positions that are all but sure things to go permanent, and then the rug gets pulled out from under you. Or layoffs in an industry that doesn't typically fall victim to a down economy, but my job got sent elsewhere anyway. No luck on the former student career center website, networking with Aggies on LinkedIn, job Network here on texags...haven't had that big break from the Aggie Network that everyone talks about.

It's tough. You're not alone. I just have to keep the faith that something will work out. Everything I've gotten and every job I've had (even if they did last) were because I earned them. Not because they were given to me. Don't get me wrong...it'd be nice for a connected Ag to reach their hand out to me. But through all my struggles I can still say I've been able to do it on my own.

Prayers for you that life starts to turn around and you can find your happiness again.
aggie_wes
AG
I'm sorry that networking hasn't worked out for you yet. Just know that by keeping at it you're maximizing the number of opportunities you will get. It's still up to you to make that opportunity turn in to a job.

I will say that through TexAgs and the Aggie Network I got the interview that turned into my first job after school, got another aggie an interview (and he got the job) for that same company, and I've gotten at least one other person an interview. I've also passed on probably a half dozen resumes from this website.

I'm only saying all of this to let you know that people will try and you will get more opportunities through the Aggie Network than you would have without it. They don't all turn in to job offers, but eventually one will. Keep at it.
agdaddy04
AG
2nd time I've seen it on this thread. Not picking on you but why do you assume others have had it 'easy'? That's not exactly fair to others.
blackgoldag11
AG
PETE '11 here. Was laid off for a year and finally made a jump to something completely different. I sell lighting now, and thought what the hell am I going to do. But I had a wife to provide for and a home. Don't regret it one bit and I am having a blast and realized most people don't make 6 figures right off the bat like I did and changed my lifestyle and we are doing fine. Find a career in something else if need be and try to go back once it picks back up if you aren't satisfied. No shame in it. T&P for you and your wife btw, can't imagine being in that situation. Good luck and stay positive (this was a very hard concept for me)
Texas A&M University
Hang in there. Network, network, network. Attend SPE meetings. Go to the Aggie network website and look up people who graduated with a PETE degree and reach out to them.

If money is tight, I'd start by dropping the TA sub.
biggolfboy
AG
How did you get in to selling lighting? I am trying to get into sales as well. Its hard to break into sales. Do you have any contacts you could give me? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
The Milkman
AG
My difficulty at times typically rests with the fact that the Aggie Network is largely focused on a small number of industries, of which I am not a part.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Mean while it seems like every one of your friends are just floating through life with great things happening constantly.

you gotta a) stop thinking this way and b) realize this just ain't true. Everyone has issues they deal with. Everyone. They just hide them from their facebook posts. You unfortunately are dealing with heavier issues than most. Don't let your perception of everyone else's life get you down on your abilities and career.

There are definitely some out there that might have "everything" covered - financially, spiritually, professionally, personally, etc. but I think that is the exception not the rule.
AJ02
AG
agdaddy04 said:

2nd time I've seen it on this thread. Not picking on you but why do you assume others have had it 'easy'? That's not exactly fair to others.

I get what you're saying and almost all of us have some issue going on that others aren't aware of. But I'm talking about the "perception" of those who do put their lives on Facebook for all to see, and to see them already in a great job making 6 figures and then bragging about being recruited away by another company to make even more money. It's just tough to see for those of us who seem to consistently have crappy luck when it comes to jobs. Again, I realize it's a perception thing. But that doesn't make it any easier for those who are struggling to keep their heads above water.
aggie_wes
AG
Facebook isn't real life. It's a snapshot of all the things people want you to think about them. Uninstall it if it's bothering you.
AJ02
AG
I was empathizing with the OP who is going through a rough time, as am I (although not as rough as he has it). It should be okay that I am allowed to say those things occasionally as long as it does not become a permanent thought that I fixate on to my own detriment. I was merely opining about how it can be hard for some of us. No need to lecture me about how "Facebook isn't real life and uninstall it". I get it. Human nature is that we occasionally get the blues. You can't even let me have a tiny moment of that without lecturing me?
Naveronski
AG
OP, if Wes is still hiring, and you can swing a 4hr drive to your wife's Dr, it's not a bad place to work.

Might be worth looking into.
aggie_wes
AG
Wasn't intended to be a lecture, but I see how it came across that way. My apologies.
powerbelly
AG
Aggie_Oil_Man said:

How did you get in to selling lighting? I am trying to get into sales as well. Its hard to break into sales. Do you have any contacts you could give me? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I am in the software business, I can walk you through the process of getting into software sales.

Edit - Removed email.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Since the thread is about the Aggie Network, I'll address it from my perspective. I never got a job because I was an Aggie. However, I did have a couple of doors open because I was an Aggie. The network opens doors that might not otherwise open. You still have to walk through them. You also have to look for the open doors. People aren't going to seek you out, you have to seek them out. Get on linked in and start looking for Aggies in places/industries you want to work. Contact them and ask if they might give you 30 minutes to talk to you about what they do. Ask them about their career path. Tell them about yourself and what you are looking for, and ask advice. Ask if they would recommend anyone to go talk to. Don't ask for a job, or a recommendation for one, etc. Don't give them a resume unless they ask for it.

I will take phone calls and meetings from Aggies that I would not otherwise take. If I can reasonably help them, I will. I've given several young Aggies pointers on their sales pitches, but I still didn't buy from them.

The Aggie Network works when you work it. When you get to your next season of life, don't forget to turn around and give the next Aggie a hand, regardless of where you are.
zooguy96
Still very dependent on industry and geographic location. Aggie network was very helpful early in my career when I was in Texas (one of my interview panels had 4 Aggies on a panel of 5, and they pretty much told me being an Ag is what got me the interview) - not so much now that I live out of state.
administrative errors
Oil and gas is going to get more and more automated, like every other industry when margins get squeezed.

Be open to new industries outside of your original expectations.

Network, learn, network, visualize your ideal and work backwards from there.

Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
ChampsAg
I used to work at the Career Center. Reach out to them and to your old department. You can post your resume at the Career Center. Watch for career fairs and put your resume everywhere. Pray. God listens.
HollywoodBQ
AG
powerbelly said:

Well said.
Thanks... A lot of this was at the ready since I've tried to explain to my daughter '17, why her PETE boyfriend doesn't have a job off the Katy Freeway and why instead he's working on an offshore platform somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

And of course the struggles I've seen my dad go through in the construction business supporting the oil business.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Folks who only follow my FB feed would believe that all I do is get drunk in the Business Lounge before long-haul International flights between Australia and the USA, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

Those who really know me, know that the past decade has been a real struggle financially even though I do earn the TexAgs average $200K. Those who are in my inner circle know that my level of job satisfaction has gone from 90% to 10% within the past month. It ain't all fun and games.

As AC/DC said: IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP (IF YOU WANNA ROCK 'N' ROLL)
Quote:

Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the byways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken-boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you, folks
It's harder than it looks

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll

If you think it's easy doin' one night stands
Try playin' in a rock roll band

Hotel, motel
Make you wanna cry
Ladies do the hard sell
Know the reason why
Gettin' old
Gettin' grey
Gettin' ripped off
Underpaid
Gettin' sold
Second hand
That's how it goes
Playin' in a band

Jason Ag
AG
I truly hope your wife is doing well and that her treatment was a complete success. I understand were you are coming from and your frustration, feel free to private message me for any reason.

My life isn't even close to how I imagined, and has threw some sucker punches. Try to enjoy the little things, like time with your wife. You didn't mention that you were licensed, maybe pursuing your PE would give you an achievable goal. Maybe find a job that will help you with this, might not be what you want or even related to petroleum. Might have to work for the state (TxDOT for example, I know the TCEQ has a Houston office).

Astroag
AG
If you are tech savvy, I'd look into salesforce and getting their certifications during your free time...there are more jobs (lots are remote) than you can shake a stick at and it doesn't appear to be slowing down.

Also, I'd get on the meet up app and start looking for groups in areas that you are interested in and start going...

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
zooguy96
What is Salesforce, and how does it work?
Astroag
AG
It's a cloud-based CRM...

Here's a little blog post about it:

www.edureka.co/blog/what-is-salesforce/amp/

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
CheladaAg
AG
First and foremost, my T&P to your wife. Do not despair Aggie_Oil_Man. Outside your situation with your family, I can empathize what you are going through, I'm a PETE from the early 2000's and didn't graduate with a job in hand. I took a longer route sacrificing a few years to get where I wanted to be just by mere determination and patience. Your career goals will happen for you, it's just a matter of when, as long as you maintain full effort and focus.

Just like others have said, the Aggie network isn't about giving you an automatic employment letter of acceptance but it defintiely opens more doors than for the average job seeker. Attend SPE related luncheons, conferences, gatherings etc. and network to hell. Don't try to expect a type of job that was offered to PE grads out of school when the market was at $100/bbl; be open to any job type i.e. tech analysts, entry field level etc., as long as you can get in with a company where you can move up to your desire. Be comfortable being uncomfortable and dividends will start to pay off.
TXAGFAN
AG
I agree with a lot of the posts above. I know current students may be reading this so I will add that while college is a great fun time, don't forget that unless you are independently wealthy that you should be pursuing a plan that makes you marketable (GPA, in-demand degree, etc.).

I suppose I am one of those people who seem to have it "easy"...my Facebook/Instagram is loaded with trips, new toys, etc. I work my ASS off for all of those things and have since I was in college. I pursued a degree with a diverse skill set and demand, worked my ass off the first 5 years out of school working nights/weekends, and even now 10+ years out I still work pretty hard to have those "Facebook posts". I don't post my early morning flights, late nights in the office, missed family events, etc. Don't put too much stock in what you see in Facebook. You never know what is going on in the background and tough to make assumptions.
500,000ags
AG
I've never been ignored when I reach out to an Aggie for professional reasons - whether a cold email or referral. I've also never been given a job solely because I was an Aggie.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.