Job Network
Sponsored by

Career/Company Advice

1,429 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
engrag2018
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

I am a engineering student looking for some advice about which company/internship I should accept an offer from. I have some knowledge of both companies but I was hoping to get a point of view that would have more experience in the industry than myself. I currently have a summer internship offer from Shell and an offer from LyondellBasell to take a semester off and work a co-op in 2018. The Shell internship would be out of state in a refinery and LB would be in Houston where I am from originally. Pay is about the same and the extra money from working a whole semester is not necessarily a factor. My questions/concerns are the hiring rate of interns from either company, company culture, work/life balance, benefits etc. I have heard Shell can be extremely competitive for full time and LB would be more likely to hire full time if I were to work multiple terms with them. I should also mention that my preference would be to end up Houston full time. Thank you for the advice as I do not have many ways to learn some of this information beyond glassdoor, indeed, etc.
Ragoo
AG
Shell

Eot
chjoak
AG
I don't know much about LB but I know numerous people that have worked for Shell in Houston including my wife's uncle whom spent his entire career at Shell. He spent his early career in the Netherlands and then settled into Houston after a few years oversees. Retired from Shell 4 times (kept calling him back as a contractor). I'v never heard anything but good things from them.
tlh3842
AG
I'd vote Shell as well. Not that LB is a bad company, but long term I think Shell would provide the better opportunity.
Ragoo
AG
Having Shell on your resume would give you instant credentials to any other company.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Stop being a ***** and sign up with Shell. If you're afraid of some competition, you're not cut out for the professional world. Now if you said you thought you could have a better career and get superior experience with more opportunity elsewhere, then I'd recommend LB. You didn't say that though, so go for the brand name.
Ridge14
Shell
The Milkman
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Stop being a ***** and sign up with Shell. If you're afraid of some competition, you're not cut out for the professional world. Now if you said you thought you could have a better career and get superior experience with more opportunity elsewhere, then I'd recommend LB. You didn't say that though, so go for the brand name.
Lyondell is a brand name.
Matsui
AG
Sounds like he is worried about not being able to live in Houston.
Ulrich
The Milkman said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

Lyondell is a brand name.

Not really, and definitely not compared to Shell. It's huge and well known in its industry, but I bet the majority of people don't know what they do if they've even heard of the company.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.