Job Network
Sponsored by

Advice on asking for a raise

9,088 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 20ag07
OldSoully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I started a new job at the beginning of this year, and have greatly exceeded the job role I was brought on to fill. I've had lots of responsibilities handed over to me, and have been able to reduced the work load of most, if not all of our management team. I just passed seven months in my current role, and I was interested on when it is appropriate for me to have this discussion? Also, what are some things that I could do to prepare for this conversation? I'm just starting my professional career and do not have any experience with these type of conversations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Are you a new grad in their first job?

With these conversations, it is important not to come across in the wrong way. At 7 months in, it would be considered early to ask for additional comp. The general "standard" is around a year. I do think you should have a conversation with your management, just don't lead with comp. Ask for time to meet to review your performance. Discuss your accomplishments, talk about growth areas, and highlight that you like what you're doing and are interested in knowing what you should be focused on to ultimately advance with your company. They'll get the hint, trust me, and if it naturally comes up in the conversation, great. Do it again 6 months from now and then you can bring up comp. it is important for you to gauge that they feel the same way about your performance as you do. If they do and a year goes by with no prospect of wage growth, then you know the situation you're in. Compensation is always a balance between what you're learning vs what you're earning. I've stayed at places a longer time than I ordinarily would have based on what I was learning, working on, and building a resume with even though I was underpaid. Eventually the scale will tip and you'll move on. It's worked out really well for me in the long run.

To add another point, it has been my experience that companies generally don't wait long to reward great employees. I gave an employee a big raise recently and they'd worked on my team for less than a year. They absolutely earned and deserved it by making my life a lot easier. It was my pleasure to do it. That said, I would have been annoyed if they'd asked me for it, though.
JamesPShelley
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Are you a new grad in their first job?

With these conversations, it is important not to come across in the wrong way. At 7 months in, it would be considered early to ask for additional comp. The general "standard" is around a year. I do think you should have a conversation with your management, just don't lead with comp. Ask for time to meet to review your performance. Discuss your accomplishments, talk about growth areas, and highlight that you like what you're doing and are interested in knowing what you should be focused on to ultimately advance with your company. They'll get the hint, trust me, and if it naturally comes up in the conversation, great. Do it again 6 months from now and then you can bring up comp. it is important for you to gauge that they feel the same way about your performance as you do. If they do and a year goes by with no prospect of wage growth, then you know the situation you're in. Compensation is always a balance between what you're learning vs what you're earning. I've stayed at places a longer time than I ordinarily would have based on what I was learning, working on, and building a resume with even though I was underpaid. Eventually the scale will tip and you'll move on. It's worked out really well for me in the long run.

To add another point, it has been my experience that companies generally don't wait long to reward great employees. I gave an employee a big raise recently and they'd worked on my team for less than a year. They absolutely earned and deserved it by making my life a lot easier. It was my pleasure to do it. That said, I would have been annoyed if they'd asked me for it, though.
That is great advice. I would add that you should identify the $$ value of your efforts. How much money did the company save by virtue of your efforts?
IrishTxAggie
AG
I sure hope you write better resumes than you give advice...
Ryan34
AG
I would not ask for a raise 7 months into a job. At least wait until performance review time and see if they reward you on their own.
powerbelly
AG
ColinAggie said:

I sure hope you write better resumes than you give advice...
This.
chjoak
AG
Wait for the 1 yr eval period. If the boss doesn't initiate, drop him an email asking for a time when you can discuss your progress in your current role and what you can do to continue to grow. If he has any clue as a manager he will get what you are looking for. DO NOT initiate an impromptu meeting. That will not go well for you. Allow your boss time to prepare.

Come to the meeting prepared to discuss what you feel you have accomplished. Be prepared for constructive criticism and don't let it hurt your feelings. A) there may be things you think you are nailing that the boss thinks you are lacking and B) there may be things that you view has highly important (accomplishments, etc...) that your boss find trivial. Take the feedback and use it to stress the important things you did accomplish and as a platform to make sure your next eval goes perfectly.

Ask questions. You need to walk away from this meeting not only with a raise (hopefully) but with an understanding of your bosses expectations of you.
bbb78
AG
Unless you were brought in under unusual circumstances, your company will think their compensation analysis for year 1 was appropriate.

Either sit tight and continue to prove your value to your boss and the company or possibly ask about the review process and get feedback what you can do over the remaining time period to contribute at a higher level.

I would not even discuss money. Keep it about what you can do to make your boss's life and job easier.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
"Boss, I would just like a progress check with you. I have been here 7 months and want to make sure I am on the right track. I think I am doing a good job and like it here, and just want to make sure you think the same. I have learned XXX really well and like it, and am getting proficient at YYY, and have just started on ZZZ and it is going well. What else do I need to focus on, and what do you see as my path forward?"
aggieaviator
AG
OldSoully said:

I started a new job at the beginning of this year, and have greatly exceeded the job role I was brought on to fill. I've had lots of responsibilities handed over to me, and have been able to reduced the work load of most, if not all of our management team. I just passed seven months in my current role, and I was interested on when it is appropriate for me to have this discussion? Also, what are some things that I could do to prepare for this conversation? I'm just starting my professional career and do not have any experience with these type of conversations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I respect your attitude and ambition but you need to slow your roll a bit. Keep in mind, they hired you expecting you to do your job well. That's why they pay you. If you feel you are under compensated after only 7 months of employment, it seems your problem might lie mostly in your initial negotiated compensation.

Here is my advice. Continue to work your tail off and please your company. Be glad you have a job that you excel at and are mostly happy with. If after 2 years you don't see a raise, return to this thread for advice on how to ask for one tactfully. If you aren't happy with your job for other reasons after 2 years, find a new one and get your raise on the move. Just my $0.02.
John Francis Donaghy
Definitely talk to your boss. Definitely keep it about your performance. Always remember that you don't always know what it is that you don't know. At 7 months, I'm guessing there's plenty you don't know yet. If your role expanded, that means there's room for growth in the company. That's normal and a good thing, but you will rarely be compensated for additional responsibilities as soon as you take them on.

Keep the conversation about your performance, your future, and your shortcomings going. Ask where your weak points are, and work on improving them. I would not be bringing up compensation at all in your particular circumstance.

If you do all of that, you will be a better employee, and you will be worth more to them. If time keeps going by, you keep growing and expanding your value, and they won't compensate you for it, someone else will. But you have to build the resume first.
AlphaBean
AG
Last 5 posts are nails.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
In my job, at least, you're still costing the company money at 7 months in.

I think a year is an appropriate time to start discussing your value (or cost of replacement).
OldSoully
Alright I'm back ags and wanted to clarify a few things without mentioning to much, not 100% sure if the individual I would have this conversation with is a texags member.

1. I previously worked with this company in a different position, left for an extended internship and was fortunate enough to be brought back on with this company into a more vital role. So despite being in my new role less than a year, I realized I didn't describe the unique circumstance I'm considering the background story.
2. I'm a recent grad, the position I'm in is a completely new role within the organization. I've exceeded the "intended" job description, taken on several other roles to assist in anyway possible, and significantly reduced the work load of each VP. Several of these VP's are retiring in the near future, some positions will be replaced completely, other positions will be split between two current employees. I'm concerned that if I hesitate on salary negotiation too long that I'll be overlooked with respects to compensation because of all the senior position shakes up that are coming down the road. I don't want to sound selfish but I'm afraid I'll be stuck with all the responsibilities of a VP, just without the compensation of a VP. In other words, I want my seat at the table lol.
3. Regarding the question about the value saved by my efforts. In my role, I'm responsible for determining the company's bottom line. My first project was a detailed analysis of our portfolio, and re-evaluating our pricing structure for the upcoming year. We are expected to have roughly a 1.16 % increase in our GPM this upcoming year.

Also, I want to say thanks for all the beneficial advice and helpful recommendations! As a young professional, it's difficult to find relevant information and resources for my situation, but everyone had good advice and I appreciate it!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

I'll be stuck with all the responsibilities of a VP, just without the compensation of a VP. In other words, I want my seat at the table
You're in your early 20s, expect to be compensated and promoted to a VP level role, and you want your seat at the table... I want you to think about how that sounds for a second coming from someone that is a RECENT GRAD.
OldSoully
My wording is exxagerated, but I'm in a company that doesn't have much turnover ever. It's in a unique situation now where 5 of the 6 VP's will be retiring within the next 3 years. So although the wording is very much exaggerated, I'm trying to emphasis the point that getting a "seat at the table" is now or never. Simply, based off the fact that it's uncommon for this much organizational restructuring at the most senior level within the org.

Does that make sense?
IrishTxAggie
AG
You're in your early 20s. Your seat at the table won't be when this round of VPs retires. It will be when the next round of VPs retire.
OldSoully
Well IrishTxAggie you're probably right and because you might be right.....there's now a tear in my beer. Lol.

If that job title doesn't come until down the road, I still think I have a justifiable reason to hope for a pay increase. Thus, going back to my question for making this post.
cjo03
AG
how big is the company?
IrishTxAggie
AG
You can rightfully justify a raise and some level of promotion within title and duties given the information you've provided. It's the VP role that I believe is a bit far fetched. It's great to have the aspiration, but at the end of the day you've been with the company for less than a year and you haven't gained enough "real world" knowledge. It's unfortunately what I believe the be a sad truth in this situation. But I hope you can prove my thought wrong and I will gladly eat crow and buy you a few beers if it does work out that way for you. Best of luck.
Ulrich
EDIT:
You two covered a lot of this already and more politely, but I already typed it.

One of these three things is true:
1. You're not as good as you think you are
2. VP doesn't mean anything where you work
3. You're a one in a million superstar

As a general rule, VP roles require talent applied over years of experience to acquire the knowledge, judgment, and skills to perform. As another general rule, people are terrible at rating their own performance. You're a few months into an entry level job. Maybe start to discuss your performance with your boss and see where it goes before you decide to request a raise and huge promotion so quickly.

I know some people who landed huge promotions because they went out and fought for them. Some ended up doing well, others were in over their heads and were quickly found out. I know others who got laughed out of the room for asking. Right now I know two people who think they are superstars; neither has figured out that they will never advance from their current roles. Every situation is different, but the consequences are real so be careful about demanding things.
powerbelly
AG
"I've been working for a whole 1.5 years and think I deserve to be a VP"
Ulrich
On a more positive note... situations like this do often lead to promotions for good contributors as the firm works to maintain some level of continuity and recreate succession plans. After an initial performance review to gauge your performance and reputation, I'd definitely be telling them that you like the company, see yourself working there for a long time, and want to know how you can help fill in gaps and increase your contributions in what will probably be a somewhat challenging time.
powerbelly
AG
Don't you think a company with such low turnover already has a succession plan in place?

There are most likely 2 or 3 people ahead of you in line for each VP role.
cjo03
AG
i am intrigued.. in addition to size of company, i am curious to the typical career path.
Ryan34
AG
The mere fact that you're a recent grad talking about getting "your seat at the table" makes me think your perception of your performance is also likely out of whack. In which case definitely you should definitely wait to see how your performance review goes. And Lord help you if you bring up getting one of those VP spots to your boss...
OldSoully
I don't think a performance review has ever been done within this organization. Old school mentality, so the work is either done or your time here is.
Petrino1
I don't care if you saved the company a billion dollars and know the CEO personally, you are still a recent grad with ZERO negotiating room here. There is a time and place for everything, asking your boss for a raise and insight into a VP role after a year of employment is not the right time or place.

However, I can tell you are very ambitious and motivated. This will get you very far in your career, but you have to know when to dial it down as well.
Ulrich
OldSoully said:

I don't think a performance review has ever been done within this organization. Old school mentality, so the work is either done or your time here is.

I'm using performance review in the informal sense. Have a chat with your boss about what you're doing and what you can do.
Ezra Brooks
AG
powerbelly51 said:

I typically dismiss much of what is written about the Millennials as exaggerated stereotype, but reading this makes me reconsider.

Maybe the OP should have his mom call to discuss his pay/position.
RangerRick9211
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

powerbelly51 said:

I typically dismiss much of what is written about the Millennials as exaggerated stereotype, but reading this makes me reconsider.

Maybe the OP should have his mom call to discuss his pay/position.
You can mock, but the market is what the market is. If OldSoully is worth what he's asking, he'll get it. Value is often formed from experience, but it isn't a requirement.

My anecdote: good friend was a self taught developer through high school. Dropped out of A&M freshman year to start his own business. He's 29, through a few jumps and acquisitions, he was just promoted from Sr. VP to CTO of a well known tech company this year.
AgLA06
AG
2 thoughts on this conversation.

1) I don't know how much of the OP is true and personally I don't care.

The arrogance and mentality that executive positions should only be for someone who is over a certain age is the reason our workforce is in the shape it is. Hard work, good performance, and worth are mitigated while older guys coasting toward retirement because they have 40 years of experience get the cheese.

Have talk with your boss and get his thoughts on your position and what the future might hold. Ask if and how he sees the expansion of your position so far and moving forward and what it might mean.

2) Only you can look our for you. Just do it the right way. If you aren't valued, it doesn't matter what your performance is, but it's better to know that as soon as possible to find a place that will.
Ulrich
AgLA06 said:

The arrogance and mentality that executive positions should only be for someone who is over a certain age is the reason our workforce is in the shape it is. Hard work, good performance, and worth are mitigated while older guys coasting toward retirement because they have 40 years of experience get the cheese.

I think you're misunderstanding a little... I don't see anyone saying there is an age minimum or anything like that, only that it is very difficult to perform an executive job without some time in the trenches learning how things work.

I've argued that time is not equivalent to experience and that experience is useless if it isn't applied. I know people who have taken 30 years to accumulate about 6 months worth of of experience, and others with 30 years of experience who might as well be door stops as they try to coast to retirement.

Your second point is dead on.
AgLA06
AG
Ulrich said:

AgLA06 said:

I think you're misunderstanding a little... I don't see anyone saying there is an age minimum or anything like that, only that it is very difficult to perform an executive job without some time in the trenches learning how things work.

I've argued that time is not equivalent to experience and that experience is useless if it isn't applied. I know people who have taken 30 years to accumulate about 6 months worth of of experience, and others with 30 years of experience who might as well be door stops as they try to coast to retirement.

Your second point is dead on.

I completely agree. The tone of some of the comments above that was essentially sit down and shut up because he is young drive me nuts. Title and promotion should be based on merit and the job you do. Period. I hope he doesn't think he'll make VP, but to tell him not to work towards a promotion for work he feels he is excelling at is ridiculous.

He did a horrible job of explaining the situation and there are too many variables to really draw a conclusion on how and why a first / second year employee is expressively working with VP's.

Yet here we are.
OldSoully
Thank you for posting! I appreciate the advice and was honestly anticipating more of these type of comments when I first made the post!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.