Job Network
Sponsored by

Having a hard time figuring out the next step in my career

2,760 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I graduated in '04 with a degree in business finance and followed in my father's footsteps and became a residential construction manager which I've been doing in Austin for the last 11 years. I like the company I've worked for the last 3 1/2 years but there aren't any opportunities for advancement so I'm thinking it might be time to start to look to jump ship. At 35 years old I feel like if I don't make a move soon I'll be stuck doing what I'm doing for the rest of my career. The next rung on the ladder for me would probably be an area construction project manager in which I'd manage other construction managers but I'm not entirely sure that's what I want to do.

I'd be interested to see if anyone is in this same industry and has any ideas or advice on what an "out of the box" career move might be. I'm open to any suggestions including even moving into another industry. I have extensive customer service experience and experience running large single luxury single family and multi family construction projects so there has to be something else in which these skills might translate.

Thanks for any help or suggestions any of yall might offer.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Start your own company

ReloadAg
AG
Believe me, I've definitely thought about that. I'd need some investors though.
Koko Chingo
AG
What do you really want to do? Open a restaurant, play in a band, absolutely nothing, be a CEO???

If you thought about opening your own business, is that because you like the industry, like the thought of being your own boss, or both?

Not knowing you personally, there are careers that come to mind but you may just be in the same situation after the "new" wears off.

What are your joys, passions, values, and motivators? Even if you state those that are not necessarily career related it will give us "internet counselors" better insight to make suggestions.

What aspects do like and dislike? Your project management skills translate across many disciplines. It's also the area people love/hate.
ReloadAg
AG
I really enjoy seeing a project through to completion and the satisfaction you get when you take a bare lot and put a beautiful home on it and overcome all the challenges along the way. I enjoy meeting and working with a variety of interesting people and I've been told I'm really good at working with almost anyone and "people just like me".

I've thought about opening my own business but a construction start up requires a ton of seed money and I wouldn't want to use debt. I've also though about doing some kind of sales given my interpersonal skills but haven't pursued it much yet.

Koko, what types of careers come to mind when you hear about someone with my skills and experience? It seemed like you might have had a couple thoughts off the top of your head. I appreciate your willingness to try and dig a little deeper with me.
AgTDub
AG
I'm in the same boat ReloadAg albeit on the commercial side. I've been in commercial construction project management in Austin for 10 years and worked on some really cool projects with some really good people.

I've got a strong urge to jump ship and start my own business but like you said it takes a good amount of seed money. I feel like the contacts and network are there to be successful though I am unsure of the first step to get the ball rolling. I turn 35 on Friday and feel like the clock is ticking.

I've got a good job now with a good solid company but the desire to work for myself is really strong.

Right now I'm thinking that starting up a subcontracting business would be the best option given my contacts though I go back and forth on what type. It would have to be something that requires relatively low overhead and startup costs at least initially until I can get some money coming in.

Sorry for the novel but just know you aren't alone in how you feel.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks for the reply man. Glad to see I'm not alone. I think our construction organizations are so flat that opportunities to move up are rather limited.
BO297
Try building one house on your own. Be prepared to move into it if you need to because it doesn't sell right away. Just do one and see how it goes.

I normally don't recommend a lot of debt for a start up. But in a case like this it makes sense.

If it works build another and repeat.

Do this at night and on the weekends to get started and get some money together.

Owning your own business is priceless. And I feel like home building is a somewhat easy startup.
Koko Chingo
AG
The first thing that came to mind was project management, just in another industry. That would depend on what exactly you do not like about the job. It could be too similar or the change of scenery may be good. A PMP cert would help in switching industries.

Next I was thinking along about going back toward your degree. There are a few different options: On the accounting side --- Work on getting your CPA. I think you have to work under a CPA for 2 years before you can take the exam. Good accounting people are hard to come by. Good accounting people with supervisory, operational & production background are even better. Your salary may be so-so for 2 years but being a CPA with your experience will pay off big in the long run.

On the finance side, become a certified financial planner

Or get an MBA, do an executive MBA part time at a good school and you will options galore.

I have also thought of sales but you need to network and research the specific area you would go in.

Maybe you and AgTDub should partner up. lol

My final thought is get a masters in a field you want to go into. The problem is nothing is really speaking to you. Do not pat for a master to change careers w/o knowing what career and why you are making the choice.

Don't get down. We all hit a slump at times.

schmellba99
AG
I'm in the same boat too. A bit older than you at 40, about to be 41. I'm in industrial/municipal construction and have been my entire career. My company is a decent company, good long term retirement potential, but the last few years have seen a big change in the company culture and several things that were discussed heavily between me and my boss when I hired on simply haven't happened and aren't going to happen.

I filed the paperwork a while back and started an LLC thinking I wanted to go it on my own, but that's as far as I've gotten. Doing what I do requires certain aspects of financing that likely aren't required in home building (bonding, higher insurance), so the biggest obstacle is startup capital for me.

And, honestly, if I were to really start my own business, I'm not 100% sure I'd do what I do now. I think I would be in the same general market, but not necessarily doing exactly what I'm doing. I see some holes in my area that I think have potential for great money if there is a way that they can be filled - but changing mindsets or how things are done in this area of construction is akin to watching glaciers move at times.

Right now I'm high centered on what I want to do - the only thing certain is that I know I won't be with my company this time next year as I've just come to have no respect for my boss and really don't want anything more to do with how this area seems to be heading over the long run.
Gateman
AG
If considering a career change to sales, think of products you are familiar with. For example, my wife works for a software company that has a product for residential homebuilders. Something like that might be a good fit.
ReloadAg
AG
I kind of think that's where I may be headed Gateman. Given my people skills and product knowledge I think it might be a good fit for me. Great suggestions, all. Please keep them coming.

Apart from sales, what other industries might my project management experience translate to?
JBLHAG03
AG
There are lots of other entities involved in the construction process - land developers, material suppliers (sales), equipment rental (sales), bonding companies, insurance, lenders, inspectors, project controls, safety, computer programs, etc. Get on indeed.com and just try searching various forms of "construction," "construction sales," "construction risk," etc.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Same boat as both you. Been with the same company since after college going on 4 years and it just doesn't seem like I'm going anywhere. Larger company (24,000 employees) but I just feel like it is ruining my whole idea of this company. So far I've been an inside sales / project manager and for a little more than a year now I've been an estimator / quotations coordinator. We focus in underground utilities distribution. The lack of advancement (position and money) has made me really start thinking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.