Job Network
Sponsored by

Passed Concerned, Now Worried, Approaching Scared

10,068 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bbb78
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here ya go, Zip. Best of luck!!

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/egr/d/cmt-technician/6297878629.html
Zip 88
Thanks Limon. Unfortunately, that ad is a week old, and the position is not listed on your company's web page.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Zip 88 said:

Thanks Limon. Unfortunately, that ad is a week old, and the position is not listed on your company's web page.
Zip, the guy who's hiring for that position asked me just yesterday to spread the word. Trust me, it's open.
Zip 88
Copy, thanks. I'll send a resume in the morning.

The local office is relatively close to where I live. Do you think a visit to follow up in a few days would be beneficial?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I have no doubt he'll contact you once you submit your resume' and while a follow up is always a good idea, he's not always in the office regularly as he's working in the lab. Again, I'm sure you'll hear from him but if for some reason he doesn't reach out in two or three days after you've made initial contact, follow up with me here and I'll make sure it gets squared away.
Zip 88
Limon,

I just submitted my resume via the Craigslist link. I couldn't find a means to do so off the main company page, so I hope it makes its way to the right inbox. Thanks again.
exp
AG
Try a recruiter. 100% of my jobs have come through personal connections or recruiters. I have never once landed a job simply by applying for it.

Career Fairs aren't a bad option either.

Someone to critique your resume wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck.
Humorous Username
AG
How does one "try a recruiter"? All of my jobs have come from networking. Are there "reverse-recruiting" services where people can reach out to recruiting services?
exp
AG
Look for recruiters on LinkedIn that work in your field. Just message them and tell them you're looking and ask if they'd look at your resume. Try contacting agencies directly through their website or LinkedIn... There's thousands of them in IT at least. Other industries could be different.

Anyway, if a recruiter puts a job in front of you, he'll usually get you directly in front of the hiring manager. You also don't have to worry about wasting time blindly applying for jobs that are probably "HR is making us list it but we know who we want" type job postings.
Hullabaloo Bone 10
AG
If you're willing to look at the DFW area, Lockheed Martin hires lots of military vets and especially in their logistics and supply chain departments. I used to work at a different location, but LM in Fort Worth hires lots of Ags, too.
Zip 88
Gota De Limon said:

if for some reason he doesn't reach out in two or three days after you've made initial contact, follow up with me here and I'll make sure it gets squared away.
Limon,

I applied via the Craigslist link last Saturday, and sent my resume/app to the main HR department last Monday...haven't heard anything back.
MookieBlaylock
AG
You could have been working at UPS for months now

Plenty of people have gone from sales to operations esp during peak

You are a fing beating

Zip 88
MookieBlaylock said:

You are a fing beating

Nice! I can make out "fing", but what auto-corrected to "beating"? Given the blue stars, you obviously have a fan base that figured it out.

So all I had to do was apply, and I would get a job? Huh.
Ann2321
If you are interested in Houston, Landry's if opening a new hotel, The Bost Oak, in December. They have a lot of job openings in the hotel business. located at 610 Post Oak
allknowinag82
It looks like there are a few logistics-type positions posted on RigZone:

http://www.rigzone.com/oil/jobs/search/

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Zip 88 said:

Gota De Limon said:

if for some reason he doesn't reach out in two or three days after you've made initial contact, follow up with me here and I'll make sure it gets squared away.
Limon,

I applied via the Craigslist link last Saturday, and sent my resume/app to the main HR department last Monday...haven't heard anything back.

Zip, I know he got some resumes last week. I'll follow up with him tomorrow. What are your initials?
Zip 88
Gota De Limon said:

Zip 88 said:

Gota De Limon said:

What are your initials?

Lol. Given the reception I'm getting here, I may as well lead with my phone number. Class date is in my user name and on my resume, so that should narrow it down.
AggieOO
John Francis Donaghy said:

Quote:

I do, however, find it puzzling that my experience seems to count for NOTHING, as all I have received are the "going forward with another candidate" form letter; not even a whiff of an invite for an interview. Even more frustrating is seeing those same positions being advertised a few months later. You want to go with younger and cheaper? How's that working out for your company in the long run? If you can absorb that kind of turnover and training costs, your shareholders must be proud.

You should google the term "phantom job post." There a number of good articles about them from wel respected sources. Basically, companies post lots of jobs for positions for which they already know who they are going to hire, do not intend to fill at all, or need to have posted publicly so they can deny everyone who applies domestically and hire a worker from another country on an H1B visa. If you are relying on internet job boards, a good portion of the jobs you find and apply for likely have zero intention of hiring you, regardless of your qualifications.

It's a strange quirk of the job search process these days, but you can't let all your blindly declined applications get you down, there's a good chance nobody ever even intended to look at a lot of them.
This. I work in IT sales, and have been promoted 3 times since I've been here. Every time, that job is posted publicly, but they didn't even look at applicants. I had already been identified internally. This is the same for most positions here other that the occasional "mass" hire for a entry level sales jobs. And even those are 90%+ sourced through references.

Outside of that, if phantom job postings are not the reason for re-posts, many times its b/c the job/manager/whatever sucks and there's a crapload of turnover. That's a massive red flag in my book. I wouldn't want to work there anyway.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Zip 88 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

You are a fing beating

Nice! I can make out "fing", but what auto-corrected to "beating"? Given the blue stars, you obviously have a fan base that figured it out.

So all I had to do was apply, and I would get a job? Huh.

Yes if you could shave and wear a suit they would have hired you
Coild have had insurance and all that but you have been acting like a deek

Not an ideal job but it was an in that would pay and give you opportunity at UPS
But you prefer to park cars
bbb78
AG
Zip,
Late to the thread, but from what I can tell, it will be challenging for you to get hired into the role you desire.

I think you need to find a way to start near the bottom and work your way up. It may not pay well, and you may need to drive Uber or something to supplement your income.

You need to market yourself as a guy with experience and work ethic that just likes to get the job done, no matter what level. As a vet, that will help.

I have a friend that works for XPO Logistics as a CDL. He says guys show up at the dock and ask to talk to the supervisor and see what jobs are open. He said they have a lot of turnover for guys that know how to use a computer just to look up lost shipments and coordinate deliveries with more experienced people.

I think XPO has a San Antonio operation, so it's worth a try.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.