Job Network
Sponsored by

Office Locations

1,340 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by powerbelly
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I work for a consulting firm. We currently have four offices through Poland and remote resources in the USA. We are looking to start an office in the states, likely to staff more junior resources. These resources would be developers and business analysts/consultants.

Currently in consideration are both Austin and Dallas/Plano. Curious thoughts from the board.

Some things we are looking for:
-cheap-ish (the three leaders live in CA now, so even Austin is cheap to us)
-near universities helps

Also considering Indianapolis as a possibility and open to other suggestions, but figured this board would advice most on TX locations.
Ulrich
Are your clients, the industry/industries you target, or talent pool concentrated geographically? If yes, consider that region even if it's not sexy or in the middle of the country.
ORAggieFan
Our customers are all over. Only reason location comes into play is ability to travel, of which TX is pretty good being centrally located. EST or CST is also a bit easier to work with our Polish team, especially if you're not a morning person.
E
AG
Austin/Dallas >>>>>>> Indy
jtp01
AG
You should check into the Texas Panhandle. Amarillo is a great location. Instant access to I27, I40, 287. Cost of living is cheap and have all of the necessities.

And depending upon the business structure the Amarillo economic development group would likely be willing to work with you is the company we're to bring jobs into the region.

dcAg
If you need to be near an airport then its Dallas. Love Field and DFW have long reaches. A LOT of talent in Dallas that doesn't have the Austin attitude.
AlphaBean
AG
dcAg said:

If you need to be near an airport then its Dallas. Love Field and DFW have long reaches. A LOT of talent in Dallas that doesn't have the Austin attitude.

This. Our clients are across the country. "Convenient" doesn't even begin to describe what it's like to have an airport that goes nonstop pretty much anywhere, including international, only 20 mins from the office. Convenient for me when I'm traveling and convenient for those visiting us. Plenty of universities in DFW.
Ulrich
ORAggieFan said:

Our customers are all over. Only reason location comes into play is ability to travel, of which TX is pretty good being centrally located. EST or CST is also a bit easier to work with our Polish team, especially if you're not a morning person.

Sounds like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, and Minneapolis should be your top tier. Those are the best connected/most accessible airports in the central and eastern us. I'd tend to lean toward the southern cities for the friendlier business climates and lower taxes, but your Polish hq folk may prefer the cooler weather up north. Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston have large consulting presences, and Charlotte is a big finance hub.
Alan Pavio
AG
Come to Dallas and then bring me onboard upon your arrival. Win win
ORAggieFan
Think I over emphasized airport. I believe the AUS airport is plenty good. Cost and talent are other keys.
powerbelly
AG
We recruit development talent in both Austin and Dallas.

In the past few years, I has been about 10-15% more expensive to hire in Austin, but the gap is narrowing.

Given the choice between the two, I think Dallas is easier to hire at lower budget numbers, epecially if you can partner with the local schools (UTD, UNT, etc)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.