Job Network
Sponsored by

Corporate culture vs salary

2,309 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtp01
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like some feedback from the board. I'm going to cross post it to the B&I board too.

In your opinion, at what point does an increase in pay/opportunity become overshadowed by a less enjoyable corporate culture/environment?

I have been with my employer for 7 years and my experience has been great. They treat their people well, have good benefits, work/life flexibility, etc. That said, I have been offered a job at a competitor for 25-30% more pay, similar benefits(better 401k match), more responsibility, and the opportunity to learn a new skill which I can't get in my current role. I'd be much more marketable after mastering said skill. The downside is that some deparments of the company can be difficult to work in and you generally don't hear about people leaving and saying "man, I really enjoyed that experience".

I'm leaning towards taking the job/pay bump and learning what I can. I figure I can tough through just about anything for a few years and can always leave down the road if it's a bad fit. What would you do if you were in a similar situation?
zooguy96
I'd take culture and environment over pay every single day and twice on Sunday's.

I made a move for a 25% pay bump and more responsibility 3 years ago and it ended badly. Psycho boss, unlisted expectations, etc.
aggie_wes
AG
Really depends on your situation. Where are you in your career? Family to support? Comfortable financially or just getting by? Relocation required? How would that affect you?

Too many unknowns for me to answer.
AG
I've found that no amount of money is worth being miserable every day.
FancyKetchup14
AG
4 said:

TAMUallen
AG
4 said:

To that point, not enough money isn't excused by a "fun" work environment either. In the end, almost all people work to make money.

Take the pay raise, learn your new skills, market yourself and then find a new fun place for the higher pay if you end up disliking the environment
Pepper Brooks
AG
aggie_wes said:

Really depends on your situation. Where are you in your career? Still early, wont retire for 30-35 years, lord willing. Family to support? Married/no kids but that will change in a few years. Comfortable financially or just getting by? Comfortable. Wife and I take home about $150-175k combined as it currently stands. Relocation required? Negative, new job is closer to home by about 10 min. How would that affect you?

Too many unknowns for me to answer.

Pepper Brooks
AG
I agree with this. Feeling under appreciated/valued is it's own kind of misery, at least for me.
SkiMo
AG
4 said:

I am finally getting there. Right now I'm making more money than I ever dreamed I would. I have job security in the oil industry at least through the end of 2019. I get every other Friday off. Average about 45 hours a week at work. But I hate every single day I come in here. Like true hate. I'm a contractor, and the client I represent is terrible. The management. The culture. My managers. Coworkers. All awful.

I keep coaching myself through this assignment because it will set me up for an early retirement down the road (currently 37) so I am just going through the motions and thinking about this from a personal business standpoint. My plan once I'm done with this is to find a company and a job I truly enjoy.

You have to decide what amount of money is good enough for you to suffer for long term goals. The money for me is enough because I have a rough timeline when I'm getting the hell outta here. If I'm looking for a long term position at the company, then their culture will play hugely into my decision.
zooguy96
It also depends on what type of person you are. Can you handle the stupidity if the pay is high enough? Does it set you up for retirement sooner?

My brother is now retired (younger than me), as he worked in O&G on the consultant side and made bank for 20 years and then invested well.

Me - nowhere close to retirement stuck in public education as a lolpoor.

Make your choice wisely.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

The downside is that some departments of the company can be difficult to work in
How are the difficult to work in? Do you have a boss who sexually harasses you ever day? Do they work you 80 hours/week? Do you work in a cubicle with 3 other people?
JBLHAG03
AG
Have you talked to your current employer about taking on more responsibility or switching roles? It sounds like you want more money in-lieu of need more money. Work/life balance will become much more more important once you have kids. If comfortable at current job, pick up some more hobbies and enjoy the rest life has to offer.
Pepper Brooks
AG
JBLHAG03 said:

Have you talked to your current employer about taking on more responsibility or switching roles? It sounds like you want more money in-lieu of need more money. Work/life balance will become much more more important once you have kids. If comfortable at current job, pick up some more hobbies and enjoy the rest life has to offer.
No. That's only because the department I would need to move to, in order to learn what I can learn at the new company, wont accept someone into it at my pay band without them already having that experience. Yes, I want more money. Just because I don't need it to sustain our current lifestyle doesn't mean that I shouldn't pursue it.
Zosima
I just took a pay cut to go to a job with a better culture/environment. I have been here a month and don't regret it. I also have 2 little kids and wanted more of a balance.

I will just say that if you feel like this is a good opportunity, but may affect your work life balance, do it now before you have kids. I am extremely grateful for the other job because it put us in a situation where I can take the pay cut and still have my wife being a stay-at-home. I also wanted to learn as much a possible and was willing to put in the work so it was a great opportunity for me.
jtp01
AG
I was laid off from a fortune 300 company with 10,000+ employees and am now at a company with 25 employees in an industry I LOVE. Reality was it was going to be a pay cut, however, when my commission checks started coming it blew my previous salary away.

My work life balance is much better now. I am fortunate to work from my home office and travel as I need to in order to support my dealers/customers. Fall gets crazy, but the rest of the year is fun.

I would suggest take your time and really consider where you want out of your career. Then really focus on getting where you want to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.