Job Network
Sponsored by

Career Coach

2,901 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can anyone suggest an excellent career coach they've personally used?

I've tried several times to talk to someone through the A&M Career center, but have been re-scheduled multiple times and never contacted back.

I'm out of state, so it'd have to be remote.

TIA.
pike_dawggg
I offer moral support and career guidance / resume services at my church. I know this is a tough time and wanted to let you know that there are good Ags out there to provide help.
zooguy96
pike_dawggg said:

I offer moral support and career guidance / resume services at my church. I know this is a tough time and wanted to let you know that there are good Ags out there to provide help.
Thanks for the kind comment.
OnlyForNow
AG
Bud,

I can be a little rude but honest with you?
zooguy96
OnlyForNow said:

Bud,

I can be a little rude but honest with you?

No, I'm good.
Rudyjax
AG
I've been reading your posts for over 10 years and you've gone from one career/job to the next.

what do you want to do now?
zooguy96
Honestly, I'm not seeking any advice from anyone on here. I know they don't want to read about it. Multiple people have posted that fact. That's fine.

I just want to find a good career coach to assist me in figuring it all out.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Start with your attitude. Yours seems to be pretty self-defeating. Just an observation.
Rudyjax
AG
Good luck.
zooguy96
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Start with your attitude. Yours seems to be pretty self-defeating. Just an observation.
I have a good attitude at work. I get excellent observations (teacher), and my students love my class. That point probably doesn't translate here.

Rudyjax
AG
Sometimes we just have to realize what we are.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ok

Good luck
JBLHAG03
AG
Not sure what you are expecting, but work generally sucks, which is why we get paid to do it. You need to find things outside of work that make your life fulfilling.
zooguy96
JBLHAG03 said:

Not sure what you are expecting, but work generally sucks, which is why we get paid to do it. You need to find things outside of work that make your life fulfilling.

I was hoping to find a career coach, as career opportunities are limited where I live. My former career field is extremely small, requiring me to move nationwide to stay in that field. I no longer want to move nationwide, which is why I am pursuing meeting with a career coach so I can figure out alternate fields I could possibly work in.
Petrino1
Zooguy I've responded to some of your threads in the past about the best way to use LinkedIn as a job seeker and when you want to expand your network. You've always kind of dismissed my advice since it doesn't work for you or you say it's only good for certain industries. I'm in HR with a Fortune 500 company, and we use LinkedIn everyday for everything. Also, LinkedIn has helped me tremdedously finding new jobs and networking with folks in my industry.

So you never know who's viewing your threads. Always best to stay positive and thank everyone for their advice.

Unless a career coach specializes in your field/industry, then he will likely be a waste of time. You'll probably have More success networking with folks who work in your industry or who work for companies that you want to work for. Also, lots of good advice from guys here on texags.

If memory serves me correct you were a former marine wildlife/zoo guy and relocated to work as a teacher? So what are you looking to do, what location do you want to work and for which company?
zooguy96
Fair enough.

I've probably added about 200 LinkedIn contacts in my field or other fields I want to join. I have @ 320 or so. I'm going to try to add some more this summer.

What is proper etiquette on LinkedIn re: 1) when you've applied for a job and have a contact who works there 2) when you are just inquiring if there are any positions they'd know about and 3) general advice for networking outside of fields you've worked in?

My former field is so small that I haven't had to network much. I was already pretty well known in the field.

I'm in the Knoxville, TN area - wanting to get into higher education (coordination for administration), insurance adjusting (don't know if this is plausible), or education/natural resource consulting.
Petrino1
In short there really is no proper etiquette. Never be afraid to message, email, text, call a LinkedIn connection or anyone you might know at a company that you want to work for. People are more willing to help others than you might realize, or at least willing to pass along your resume to the proper Person.

One time I messaged around 75+ hiring managers and recruiters in an industry I wanted to work in, which resulted in me getting 2 interviews, and ultimately a great offer with a company I was targeting. It's a numbers game sometimes!
OnlyForNow
AG
You're desire to do everything at once is a major problem for people who would hire you, because it shows a lack of specific focus (to me at least but I know more about your history). Teaching-insurance sales-environmental consulting... that's three darts on completely opposite sides of the board.

You need to get into a field and stick with it. Your family took you back to TN I believe, so that's the best place to start. You want to work in environmental consulting, but your latest background (teaching) doesn't support that. Also, specifically for consulting, you lack the years of experience to be a project or program manager so you'd be regulated to field crew duty, which is great for some folks, but it's lower pay and hard work.

IMO, you're best chance at getting out of teaching and into consulting would be previous connections you've made, the Aggie network, and luck (this is what got me where I am now).

Where are you in TN? From your posts i know you're a qualified scientist, and if you're serious about this then there is a possibility I could see if I know anyone that could get you on as a contract employee, but again it isn't glamorous or high paying.
78bc3
AG
Please e-mail me at ppausky78@aggienetwork.com. We can set a time to talk wed or thurs evening.
I help Former Students by introducing resources and strategies for networking based upon understanding the other organization's needs. That is generally a reason why hiring managers may consider taking time from their Customers to talk to someone. I do not claim to be a coach. That is generally a paid service.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
zooguy96
OnlyForNow said:

You're desire to do everything at once is a major problem for people who would hire you, because it shows a lack of specific focus (to me at least but I know more about your history). Teaching-insurance sales-environmental consulting... that's three darts on completely opposite sides of the board.

You need to get into a field and stick with it. Your family took you back to TN I believe, so that's the best place to start. You want to work in environmental consulting, but your latest background (teaching) doesn't support that. Also, specifically for consulting, you lack the years of experience to be a project or program manager so you'd be regulated to field crew duty, which is great for some folks, but it's lower pay and hard work.

IMO, you're best chance at getting out of teaching and into consulting would be previous connections you've made, the Aggie network, and luck (this is what got me where I am now).

Where are you in TN? From your posts i know you're a qualified scientist, and if you're serious about this then there is a possibility I could see if I know anyone that could get you on as a contract employee, but again it isn't glamorous or high paying.
I'm in the Knoxville area. About 30 minutes from Oak Ridge. So, there could be some employment opportunity there. The teaching piece to my career fits in - in that the majority of my career, I've done environmental education (at zoos, preserves, nature centers), which is why I got the Masters in Ed. and my teaching certificate (to make myself more marketable). I also got to do several years of field work (2 years as an intern at a national park while in grad school; 3 years while as a volunteer coordinator at a preserve training interns how to do it).

I really used the teaching cert. to get a job so we could move back to TN. Env. Ed. really doesn't make sense for me any longer, as previously mentioned, that I would have to move around geographically - which is why I'm more interested in field work, working at UTK, etc.
OnlyForNow
AG
Being a teacher =\= working in environmental consulting.
inozips
AG
Take Paul Pausky up on his offer. He spoke at an A&M Club lunch in SA in the past year. He is an impressive guy.
zooguy96
Just talked to Paul. Mind blown. Thanks so much. Much appreciated. 25 pages of notes.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.