Job Network
Sponsored by

Need advice for possible interview question

1,518 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OnlyForNow
neox183
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey all,

So I have an interview scheduled and I have been with my current employer for about 6 months. I'm expected to be asked why am I looking for another job so soon. In all honesty my current employer doesn't have enough work and I don't feel like I'm being challenged or learning at all. If I'm asked that question any ideas of how to appropriately answer it? I do want to tell them how the situation is but I don't want to also give them the vibe of "Well if he gets bored here he'll just up and go as well". Any advice is much appreciated!
Cruiser87
AG
My situation is similar, and different.

I had my initial phone screen with HR yesterday for a position. I've been in my current role for just over a year (3.5 years total at company), and explained that, even though I'm good at the current job/role, it's not what I want. So, I looked for a position where I've enjoyed my work in the past. And, this is what I've found. I was even specific about the number of openings at their company I could do, but this one role is mine.

I was also asked if I was interviewing elsewhere. I told HR no. Even though, I've had multiple people contact me about other positions, that I could easily do, it isn't the opportunity this one is.

Short version: I'd make it about this opportunity, not why you're leaving.

Oh, and I meet with the hiring manager tomorrow.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will be along with more opinions.

Good luck!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Exactly. You don't want to leave your current job. You really enjoy the work you're doing.
But, the opportunity with this company sounds good and you want to explore your options.

You're looking for more growth opportunities and you think that your current role is not able to provide that. Otherwise, you love your job.
chico
AG
what Hollywood said
plus - it's incumbent on the new company to keep you from being bored. Nothing wrong with letting them know that you're eager to work and you're looking forward to a challenging environment where you'll work hard - such as at this new company
Premium
AG
The part about there not being enough work... is there no way to help innovate and make the company better and bring value to the company? Perhaps learning a new skill and gaining other responsibilities?
OnlyForNow
AG
While I don't disagree with you on this, he isn't probably making enough to do what the company managers and owners get paid 2-5X his salary to do.

I always had a problem with this until I landed at the company I am now.

Is he going to get an immediate raise if he brings in this new business, or he is going to be allowed to work on this during small portions of his current work week (not the whole thing). The truth is no to both in most companies.

He should look out for #1 and that's him, cuz that's what the company does.
Premium
AG
OnlyForNow said:

While I don't disagree with you on this, he isn't probably making enough to do what the company managers and owners get paid 2-5X his salary to do.

I always had a problem with this until I landed at the company I am now.

Is he going to get an immediate raise if he brings in this new business, or he is going to be allowed to work on this during small portions of his current work week (not the whole thing). The truth is no to both in most companies.

He should look out for #1 and that's him, cuz that's what the company does.

My question was putting him # 1. Just because you innovate and help a company doesn't mean you aren't looking out for # 1. If I were hiring him I'd be very impressed that since he had more time he was able to do x, y and z to not only help himself learn and grow but to help the company.

The answer to the interview question would get a lot easier. Wasn't challenged, so did and learned x, y and z... so I'm looking for a place that really values x, y and z.
OnlyForNow
AG
Again, I'm not saying don't be innovative but why reward a company that doesn't value you?
Premium
AG
I didn't gather the OPs company didn't value them. But my main point was to use their free time to do things that help themselves - learn new technology, skills, etc.
OnlyForNow
AG
OOOHHH! I thought you meant like do it for the company, but ya I fully support what you said.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.