Job Network
Sponsored by

My wife, PROPERTY MANAGER, looking...

2,311 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
TrueAggie2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TLDR - My wife is in a sucky (dangerous?) job and while we are grateful for employment, we are trying to find something new for her, be it in this same field or where her strengths/talents translate well. My first thought is commercial real estate and/or commercial property management.

-------------

I'm writing on behalf of my wife. She doesn't know it. We live a modest life in San Antonio with our 3 kids.

I love my wife dearly, and her job has gone from being just a drag to being one that just really upsets me as her husband, and I know it's beaten her down quite a bit. Everyday is a fight. She's a very hard worker and has accomplished a lot despite some challenges. But the last 4-6 months I've seen the light in her eyes dim a little (and no it's not cause she's sick of me...lol)

While she has been doing this 12 years it's never been quite so bad. She does make a handsome salary, despite not being degreed. Completing her degree is not out of the question IMO.

Right now, she is the property manager of a 400 unit property. It is not Section 8 housing but maybe just a shade higher than those properties - something she's not used to at all. I think they actually have to accept applicants with felonies because "it would be discrimination".

A little about her and what she's done:
- Increase of average annual occupancy over 4%;
- increase of average price per sq/ft by .03 (above normal market adjustments);
- net operating income of 8% over budget for 2016;
- net operating income of 13% over budget for 2017 YTD;
- increase of average renewal ratio by 10%;
- experience in facilitation of takeovers of other properties;
- has assisted ownership with the refinancing process of properties (audits, inspections, etc.);
- prepares an annual budget for her property (which is really two separate properties)
- organization and oversight of capital improvements, including maintaining budget and finish dates);
- managing and control of unit turnover;
- experience in Yardi, Onsite, Bluemoon, Netvendor, Compliance Depot and entire Microsoft office suite;
- familiar and well-versed on Fair Housing guidelines;
- attends annual Redbook seminars through San Antonio Apartment Association.

For context I offer a few of the challenges she's had:
- one suicide involving a firearm (gunshot to the chest);
- one suicide from hanging;
- a drug (heroin) overdose;
- her regional manager reneged on her deal of allowing her to leave at 5:00 in order to pick up our kids. Now leaves at 6:00pm, barely makes it to childcare (3 kids), and is lucky if she gets home before 7pm (she arrives to office by 7:00/7:30);
- termination of an employee for drinking on the job;
- rehiring of an asst who was promoted to management of another property she my wife was promised to be transferred to;
- had a police chase end with a motorcycle being run through the door of one of the units on her property
- was threatened and nearly physically assaulted by a tenant. This dude was a former boxer. My wife weighs 110 and is 5'-4"

This is addition to the almost daily stream of obsebities, foul language, and threats she endures on a daily basis that I admit to some degree is part and parcel to the job.

No one wants to see their loved one in a bad situation. We're here trying to find ideas, leads, advice and suggestions. Ultimately, we simply want to improve her current quality of life at work.

Ask more and I'll be glad to share what I can.
dragons06
AG
Best career move I made was to get out of the operations side of property management and into the vendor side. Dont have to deal with all the headache you mentioned, but your experience translates right over.
atmtws
AG
Have her get her Real Estate license (Champions School of Real Estate) and start applying at Commercial RE firms. My close friend from college was in multi-family (In CS), then moved to Houston and started in Commercial and loved it. The license helps get you in the door, though it may not be required for all positions. She could also look into property management through real estate offices. I know there are a bunch that offer it for rental properties (vs multifamily).
TrueAggie2004
Thank you so much for your kind replies.
I'll visit with her about these ideas this evening.

Much appreciated.
752bro4
AG
She needs to get into commercial and out of residential. The difficult part will be that there is a stigma against multi-family PM vs. commercial in a lot of the bigger firms. It is difficult to not be pigeon-holed as residential though.

CBRE is the biggest in the world, and would be somewhere to start. Good training and opportunity, plus they seemingly get about 1/2 of all assignments. JLL would be next, then Cushman.

A quick glance shows APM positions at JLL and AFM (facilities) at CBRE, She won't go in as a PM,as there is little crossover between residential and commercial. RE license is not typically required at first, and if she's been doing this for 10 years already, I would assume she has one. If hired, she should immediately begin looking into an RPA since she doesn't have a degree.

She should reach out to Teresa Tuma, head of SA BOMA as well.

That's just my $0.02, as someone who has been in the industry for many years.
mazag08
AG
752bro4 said:

She needs to get into commercial and out of residential. The difficult part will be that there is a stigma against multi-family PM vs. commercial in a lot of the bigger firms. It is difficult to not be pigeon-holed as residential though.

CBRE is the biggest in the world, and would be somewhere to start. Good training and opportunity, plus they seemingly get about 1/2 of all assignments. JLL would be next, then Cushman.

A quick glance shows APM positions at JLL and AFM (facilities) at CBRE, She won't go in as a PM,as there is little crossover between residential and commercial. RE license is not typically required at first, and if she's been doing this for 10 years already, I would assume she has one. If hired, she should immediately begin looking into an RPA since she doesn't have a degree.

She should reach out to Teresa Tuma, head of SA BOMA as well.

That's just my $0.02, as someone who has been in the industry for many years.
This is the best bet.

But keep in mind, they are very different animals. She needs to read some material on the differences between the two and the nuances of commercial real estate and commercial PM.
Iamsocool
AG
My wife does student housing. A step-up from conventional, and a better pay potential. I know that my wife gets applicants from conventional a lot lot that are applying for positions "beneath them" because of pay disparity and potential advancement (e.g. assistant property managers (conventional) applying for leasing manager positions in student housing properties.
g_werch
AG
My wife is a regional manager for Alliance Residential and it looks like they're currently looking for a business manager in San Antonio. Check out their website and I'll link them up if she's interested.

g_werchola

at

yah00
KDubAg
AG
OP, are we married to the same wife.

What you described resembles what my wife goes through here in Houston. She's a regional property manager too, works long hours, and deals with the same crap. I actually thought about coming here and posting like you did before. I don't have to much to offer but good luck.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TrueAggie2004 said:

I'm writing on behalf of my wife. She doesn't know it. We live a modest life in San Antonio with our 3 kids.

I love my wife dearly, and her job has gone from being just a drag to being one that just really upsets me as her husband, and I know it's beaten her down quite a bit. Everyday is a fight. She's a very hard worker and has accomplished a lot despite some challenges. But the last 4-6 months I've seen the light in her eyes dim a little (and no it's not cause she's sick of me...lol)

While she has been doing this 12 years it's never been quite so bad. She does make a handsome salary, despite not being degreed. Completing her degree is not out of the question IMO.
Props to you for trying to come up with some ideas.

My wife is a registered Professional Engineer and has gotten the shaft during the past 12 months and the work/life balance has gotten really out of hand so, it can happen to anybody. Best of luck in your search.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.