Job Network
Sponsored by

Has anyone here ever taken a second job on the weekend?

4,262 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Charlie Delta
Charlie Delta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for ideas for where to look for jobs that could be done on the weekends to earn extra cash for my savings. Something that could be done maybe 5-10 hours per weekend. Any ideas? I was considering tutoring students in math since my degree involved tons of math courses. Has anyone here ever done anything like this?
The Pilot
AG
If I were looking for an extra job I'd probably look at becoming some sort of official (football or baseball).

It would also be hard to beat Uber or Lyft in terms of flexibility.

I did online tutoring in college through Brainfuse.com but the pay was only $10/hr and during the weekends the demand for tutors wasn't very high. Peak hours were usually weekdays between 4-8 pm.
superunknown
AG
I uber and lyft for the flexibility of it. If you live in a decent sized city you can probably do OK during 5-10 hours a week. You can easily make $100+ if you drive during drunk hours.
zooguy96
When I'm tutoring, I charge $30/hr (live in a slightly more rural area) and can usually work 5-10 hours a week if I wanted to. Course, I am a teacher and am familiar with all middle and high school math courses.

I'd think you could charge about that - especially in Math.
Charlie Delta
zooguy96 said:

When I'm tutoring, I charge $30/hr (live in a slightly more rural area) and can usually work 5-10 hours a week if I wanted to. Course, I am a teacher and am familiar with all middle and high school math courses.

I'd think you could charge about that - especially in Math.

When you tutor privately, do you need any type of certification?
zooguy96
No. I just post ads on Facebook, etc.
Charlie Delta
superunknown said:

I uber and lyft for the flexibility of it. If you live in a decent sized city you can probably do OK during 5-10 hours a week. You can easily make $100+ if you drive during drunk hours.

Is that really worth it if you consider the extra miles on your car plus gas expenses?
powerbelly
AG
Charlie Delta said:

superunknown said:

Is that really worth it if you consider the extra miles on your car plus gas expenses?
No. It is most likely not.
AtlAg05
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Charlie Delta said:

superunknown said:

No. It is most likely not.

Plus the downside of picking a sick drunk.
Bonfire1996
AG
I ump softball and make $20/hr and work in 4 hour stints. I choose the nights I work. If I didn't have a family, I would work tourneys on the weekends and they pay cash most of the time. You can work a weekend stint and put $300 in your pocket.
213 Grove
AG
I know its not the most desirable but my brother in law delivered pizzas on the side and he routinely made $70-$100 in tips for a 4-5 hour shift plus mileage and hourly pay.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I can't imagine giving up very much of my weekend for only $100.

I need that time off to find the energy to even show back up on Monday.
jja79
AG
Golf doesn't play itself.
BBDP
AG
I coach at a charter school. I make $1500 per season.
One of the seasons is 7 weeks long if we make the playoffs... 3-5 hours per week plus communication and coordination (parents, opposing teams and league). Another season is about 10 weeks and spans the holidays (13 weeks total).
My son plays so it's great.

He mows yards and averages $35 per hour (includes travel).

Mowing is better money but coaching is more rewarding.
_lefraud_
AG
I'll make anywhere between 5-8k selling fireworks for the next 10 days.
TrueAggie2004
Can I drive for Uber/lyft if I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado that I keep pretty damn clean? Minor dings...
TrueAggie2004
That's insane...net?

How many stands do you have?
TrueAggie2004

https://www.inboxdollars.com/?r=ref29669521&s=7

zooguy96
TrueAggie2004 said:

Is this legit? And, how much money can you make In say a month?

AggieArchitect04
AG
zooguy96 said:

TrueAggie2004 said:

Is this legit? And, how much money can you make In say a month?

It's pennies on the dollar...and that's only for the surveys they match you for. I've been doing it a little over a month and have less than $30. They only pay out at $30.

I'm sure someone over in the nerdery could come up with some script to run in the background.
AggieArchitect04
AG
You could also donate plasma if there is a center near you.

Word of caution: these can be nasty places where people far less fortunate hang around to score some money (as long as they meet all the criteria). Basically after an exhausting screening process you are in the system and can usually donate up to 2 a week, with at least 1 day between donations and no more than 2 over a 7 day period.

You basically sit there while they draw blood out of your arm, separate the plasma cells from it, and then put it back in your arm with a saline solution. Process can take 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Usually they have several screens with movies on or your could bring your ipad (some of free Wifi). When I was at A&M I did this and studied while I did it. You get some money and you're helping at the same time...

The one near me claims you can make $400/mo.
superunknown
AG
Charlie Delta said:

superunknown said:

Probably not, unless you need money now. As a friend put it...you're basically borrowing money against the future value of your car.

If i was going to do it smartly, I'd buy a car just a couple years younger than their cutoff if i didnt have one already, and drive the crap out of it.
superunknown
AG
Uber and lyft both require 4 seats + driver and they won't let you drive a car older than x years, depending on the market. You could do ubereats if they're in your market. I've seen a few double/extended cabs driving uber or lyft.
_lefraud_
AG
TrueAggie2004 said:

That's insane...net?

How many stands do you have?

I run one building for my BIL.
Texker
AG
_lefraud_ said:

My family owned a stand for years. Good money!
AtlAg05
AG
Reminds me of those commercials from the place in CS that took plasma donations. "It's amazing what you can do with $$$ a month!" Showing clips of a girl getting into a Z3 at a dealership, dude having a drink with two ladies in a hot tub.

Have to love those local commercials.
Ags2013
AG
I do Shipt on the weekends. Super easy work and not a ton of driving so it's easy on your car. I've made $30 in an hour a few times
Rusty GCS
AG
My degree is an agronomy and I was a golf course Super before getting into the plants.

When I left contracting and took a company job it was a temporary pay cut from the loss of OT. So I called a local golf course and they ended up paying me $17/hr to be a weekend supervisor so the Super and his Assts could have a little extra time off. Was a sweet gig for about 6 months (that included free golf).

That said, is there anything with your degree that you could pick up on the side?
HollywoodBQ
AG
I served in the Texas Army National Guard for one weekend a month and two weeks in the "summer"

aTm papi
Texker said:

_lefraud_ said:

Is it true that you have to live onsite when you're selling them?
_lefraud_
AG
aTm papi said:

Texker said:

_lefraud_ said:

Is it true that you have to live onsite when you're selling them?

No.
Charlie Delta
Rusty GCS said:

My degree is an agronomy and I was a golf course Super before getting into the plants.

When I left contracting and took a company job it was a temporary pay cut from the loss of OT. So I called a local golf course and they ended up paying me $17/hr to be a weekend supervisor so the Super and his Assts could have a little extra time off. Was a sweet gig for about 6 months (that included free golf).

That said, is there anything with your degree that you could pick up on the side?

I probably cannot do anything directly related to my degree because it may create a conflict of interest with my primary job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.