Job Network
Sponsored by

Need Advice

1,172 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fire09
MeAgainMargaret
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Am I getting the runaround?

I have been working as an inside salesman for a small O&G service company for almost 5 years, and we haven't had a true sales manager for 2 of those years. I have set myself apart from my peers, and have handled matters that a manager should take care of. I have been told numerous times over a couple of years that I will be the sales manager by the higher-ups, but they don't know when. I understand that I need to be patient, and have no problem doing so, but it seems to be getting ridiculous.

My company has started to re-hire personnel that were been laid off in the first few rounds, at a higher wage than when they left, which is higher than what I'm currently making. The acting sales manager is never here and I pick up the slack where I can, because I truly want what's best for the company. Would you just stick it out and hope for the best, or would you say enough is enough?
AgLA06
AG
I'd quietly look for a sales manager job and see which happens first.
JamesPShelley
Be certain to position upon your resume all those results and accomplishments you attained while working in those unofficial capacities. Your current employment instance bullet-point language should describe a sales manager, in spite of what is your actual job title. You want the recipient to recognize your value as a sales manager.

Best wishes!

aggies12thman
AG
I am in a similar predicament. The advice I have received on another thread: Start looking for a new job.

Good luck!
ww
AG
MeAgainMargaret said:

Am I getting the runaround?

My company has started to re-hire personnel that were been laid off in the first few rounds, at a higher wage than when they left, which is higher than what I'm currently making. The acting sales manager is never here and I pick up the slack where I can, because I truly want what's best for the company. Would you just stick it out and hope for the best, or would you say enough is enough?
Yes, you are getting the run around. The re-hiring of laid off people, is normal, but at a higher rate??? The fact that you are doing the job, while not getting paid accordingly, means they are getting a lot of bang for their buck. If you truly want what's best for the company (and not for yourself), then just keep on and hope for the best.

If I were you, I'd start looking, unless you think sticking it out could end up being more rewarding.
agnerd
AG
Busted my rear at my first company too, but I was always going to be the young guy. Current company recognizes my value. First company wants me back now that the people hired to replace me didn't really work out. Start looking for a new job. Your current company will never recognize your value until you aren't there anymore.
jtp01
AG
Yep. This happens. When I found myself looking after they closed the facility I was working out of. I got calls almost weekly about getting back in the industry it's been almost 2 years and the calls have slowed to 1-2 per month.

Start looking. Your value is much higher than you probably realize. Interviewing will help you get a better sense of your true value.

My first increase with my new company after only 3 months was larger than any annual increase I received in the previous 13 years with the previous company (excluding promotions).
Ghost91
If you really like this company - other than the lack of promotion part - then instead of just getting another job, I recommend something different.

Meet with the person who actually has control of granting your promotion - not sure if that's your immediate boss (who you said is never there), or someone two levels up, or maybe it's even the President/Owner (since you said it's a small company.

In that meeting, cover the following points:
  • Remind him/her that you've inquired about managerial promotion opportunities previously;

• Explain that you understand the reasons that were given to you previously, but you want to re-visit the issue because a) some time has passed, and b) you've noticed some things going on recently that seem to contradict the prior feedback you were given (more on that in a minute);

• Review the reasons that you believe warrant your promotion - but instead of using "halo" comments like "I separate myself from my peers", or "I go way above & beyond", etc, use Behavior-Based statements. For example, "I increased revenue in the east territory by 37% since my hire", or "Each month, I have been top salesperson in volume" or whatever;

• Then explain that - other than this one issue regarding lack of promotion - you really love the company. Again, provide a couple of Behavior-Based examples of that - "I've filled in for Manager Bob when he was travelling and done XYZ because it was best for the company", etc.

• State that although you really want to stay with {insert company name}, you believe that you have been very patient. Then state the things that you've been noticing that seem to contradict prior feedback you've been given on why no promotion - the rehire of former employees at a higher salary than you, etc.
AgLA06
AG
Ghost91 said:

If you really like this company - other than the lack of promotion part - then instead of just getting another job, I recommend something different.

Meet with the person who actually has control of granting your promotion - not sure if that's your immediate boss (who you said is never there), or someone two levels up, or maybe it's even the President/Owner (since you said it's a small company.

In that meeting, cover the following points:
  • Remind him/her that you've inquired about managerial promotion opportunities previously;

• Explain that you understand the reasons that were given to you previously, but you want to re-visit the issue because a) some time has passed, and b) you've noticed some things going on recently that seem to contradict the prior feedback you were given (more on that in a minute);

• Review the reasons that you believe warrant your promotion - but instead of using "halo" comments like "I separate myself from my peers", or "I go way above & beyond", etc, use Behavior-Based statements. For example, "I increased revenue in the east territory by 37% since my hire", or "Each month, I have been top salesperson in volume" or whatever;

• Then explain that - other than this one issue regarding lack of promotion - you really love the company. Again, provide a couple of Behavior-Based examples of that - "I've filled in for Manager Bob when he was travelling and done XYZ because it was best for the company", etc.

• State that although you really want to stay with {insert company name}, you believe that you have been very patient. Then state the things that you've been noticing that seem to contradict prior feedback you've been given on why no promotion - the rehire of former employees at a higher salary than you, etc.

If you do this you better understand that if they don't budge, your only option is then to leave. Don't communicate that or make threats, but if they don't promote you after that it's for a reason in their mind that will likely continue to hold you back at that company.
fire09
AG
Get another offer in your pocket, go in and do what was said above. Be prepared to walk, but don't threaten to leave to get the promotion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.