Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking to Move Pass Mudlogging

3 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chavellek
chavellek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello,

I am currently a mudlogger and have been doing this for a few months. Although the job has been interesting, I am ready for a change.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a job in an office setting? If you have any leads that would be great too.

I have contact for anyone looking to mudlog.

Thanks,
Chavelle
chavellek@gmail.com
Premium
AG
Background, qualifications, what are you looking for in an office job, location
chavellek
Premium said:

Background, qualifications, what are you looking for in an office job, location
B.S. in Geology from A&M and M.S. in Geology from UTPB
Thesis on Reservoir Characterization of the Lusk Field, NM - Strawn Age

1 yr - Lab Technician
2 yrs - Database Administrator

Looking for an office job that is at least 40% + in the office.

I prefer Houston,TX, but I am open to anything in the south from Arizona to Florida. No Oklahoma.
Comeby!
AG
Go run an open hole wireline truck. Far from an office job but going from a mud logging trailer to an office or geologist position is borderline impossible.
chavellek
Why is it borderline impossible?
Comeby!
AG
chavellek said:

Im assuming by 'office' you mean in the oil and gas industry working as geologist for an E&P company or the like?
chavellek
The goal is to be at that level, but I don't mind starting off as a geotech or analyst. The problem I keep running into is that no one wants to hire a geotech with a M.S., but i don't have enough experience to be a geologist.

I would really like to work in a setting that allows me access to geologist and the work that is done, so that I can learn and grow.
MouthBQ98
AG
Administrator? What type of system or OS? Getting certs in that system might open doors to IT work.

Also, try to get into the rig or company warehouse or supply chain. Some manual labor, some office work.
Wiggletrace
AG
Comeby! said:

chavellek said:

Im assuming by 'office' you mean in the oil and gas industry working as geologist for an E&P company or the like?
This is accurate. I am an exploration geologist for an operator, and I worked at Baker doing QC on wireline logs as well as data archiving and delivery which opened the door to where I am now.

Coming straight from mudlogging will be difficult, but not impossible if you impressed the geos you were working for. You need to try and move up a rung to logging, core description (not just reservoir attributes; you need to get into depositional environments, sequence stratigraphy and such).

In the meantime, learn as much as you can from the people whose wells you are mudlogging.
Comeby!
AG
chavellek said:

The goal is to be at that level, but I don't mind starting off as a geotech or analyst. The problem I keep running into is that no one wants to hire a geotech with a M.S., but i don't have enough experience to be a geologist.

I would really like to work in a setting that allows me access to geologist and the work that is done, so that I can learn and grow.
I think this is a great attitude to have. A geotech/analyst position would be fantastic for you but I'm seeing quiet a bit of geologists who have multiple years working for operators still out on the street. Once the market picks up, they will be the first back at work, then companies will start looking at poaching service hands. Having been in the service side myself, I was very disappointed to see several job postings that said "Service company people need not apply." I knew that that's where some of the best experience lies.

I would pursue a step up position on the service side more aggressively: openhole wireline, MWD/LWD, even geosteering. I've seen several folks move into geology positions from the geosteering side. Good luck!
chavellek
As an administrator I worked on proprietary software. The database was designed to organize the many parts that they NOV uses.

It was based on SQL operating system and it required some basic programming.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into it.
chavellek
Thanks Comeby! and Kornut11 !!!

I will look into moving into a more aggressive position. I really appreciate your guys advice.

My current company has geosteering positions that occasionally open up and I will definitely try to move myself into that career path.

I will also keep an eye out for wireline, mwd/lwd, and QC positions.

I am praying the market improves for everyone.

Thanks again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.