Job Network
Sponsored by

Any teacher openings in North Austin?

2,056 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GT_Aggie2015
GT_Aggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My fiance wife is looking for an elementary school teacher job in North Austin. She is looking at Hutto, Taylor, Pflugerville, Round Rock, Burnet, Elgin, Manor, Leander, Liberty Hill, Georgetown, and Lago Vista ISDs. She prefers smaller districts. Anyone have any connections? She's kept an eye out but hasn't seen very many openings posted. She's certified in core subjects EC-6th, ESL Supplemental, and PPR EC-12. Any leads are appreciated.
Hey Coach
AG
tasanet.org

Click on the career center tab at the top.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks! She will check on there.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Bumping this thread!

Anyone have any leads? She has applied to just about every school that has had postings and has been keeping an eye out just about daily. She has had several interviews but no luck yet. She's interested in K-5th.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I'm hiring for a life skills teacher in Jarrell ISD, but requires sped certification. If she has the right personality and is willing to take the sped certification exam we might be able to work it out. It's a position that takes a special person. Someone with a passion for students who have severe disabilities. I have one middle school and one elementary position. PM me is she's interested or has questions.

Jarrell is a small, but quickly growing district just north of Georgetown.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks for the info. I do not think that SPED is her calling unfortunately.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Monthly bump. The wife is getting a bit depressed from the lack of interest despite interviews.
zooguy96
Does she have a Masters degree? If so, she could teach developmental reading or english at ACC. She could also teach GED classes part time.

My wife was a teacher and couldn't find a teaching job, so taught 2-3 classes per semester (paid $1000 per semester hour she taught), 10-15 hours per week of GED classes ($20/hr) and eventually got a 20 hour a week half time position which had benefits.

She ended up making as much as a teacher, although it was a bit variable due to how many classes she was given.

She doesn't have I have her masters to teach GED - does have to have it for the developmental courses.

Let me know and I can get you in touch with some people.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
No Masters degree either. Looking back she wishes she would've done another two years and completed one.
_lefraud_
AG
If she's willing to coach middle school, she would be able to get a job on the spot next week at coaching clinic in Austin.

Has she been emailing principals at the campus for the specific position posted?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Help me out here as I do not know, but do you have to be certified to coach at the middle school level? If so, what is the cert called and up to what grade?

She has been indeed emailing principals, and sadly, very few ever acknowledge her email. She follows up politely and yet no response. We think it may be due to the summer break but who knows. I work in corporate recruiting so I've coached her up as best I can and provided tips, but nothing has panned out.

She's also started applying to Instructional Aide roles and Sub postings in hopes that she can at least sub her way through the year or get her foot in the door as an IA.
Raptor
AG
No coaching certification needed. Some principals hire teachers and then they learn to coach as they go.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

zooguy96
GT_Aggie2015 said:

No Masters degree either. Looking back she wishes she would've done another two years and completed one.

She can teach GED classes without a Masters degree.

I averaged about 15-20 hours per week (this was my 2nd job). They hired some people full time who made $40-ish.
HollywoodBQ
AG
It's been many years since I did this but when I finished my Active Duty training at the Armor School, I did a boatload of substitute teaching. I wasn't looking for a teaching job but got two offers out of my 3 months worth of subbing.

Also gives you great insight into each school campus. I never realised what a difference a good principal can make.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks for all the tips. I will pass them on and highly advise she act on them.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I should have added that when I did the substitute teaching gig, it was in Pflugerville and Round Rock, these days, you'd probably want to add in Leander and maybe Hutto.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks. Those are all ones she's definitely looked into for subbing as well.
rhoswen
AG
She may want to expand her certifications into middle school or even high school.

Keep an eye out for job fairs. My alt cert program held several in July, and my APs went to a "regular" one back in May.

She also may need to look at schools in less desirable areas. After a couple years you can always move.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Appreciate the insight. She is considering getting certified up to 8th. She doesn't feel passionate about teaching at the HS level. She's also expanded the geography. We live in CP, but she's expanded down to Buda and surrounding remote areas.
_lefraud_
AG

Austin Independent School District (597)

Burnet CISD (33)

Comfort ISD (20)

Dime Box ISD (7)

Dripping Springs Independent School District (63)

Education Service Center Region 13 (10)

Fayetteville ISD (1)

Fredericksburg Independent School District (9)

Granger ISD (2)

Jarrell ISD (10)

Johnson City ISD (9)

Lago Vista ISD (11)

Lake Travis Independent School District (90)

Leander Independent School District (199)

Lexington Independent School District (11)

Llano Independent School District (15)

Marble Falls Independent School District (27)

Navarro ISD (5)

Pflugerville ISD (237)

Round Top - Carmine ISD (8)

Thrall Independent School District (3)

Waelder Independent School District (5)
GT_Aggie2015
AG
To my knowledge she has applied to 8 of those school districts and every opening therein for PK-6th. I'm forwarding her the remaining districts so she can take a look there. I'm guessing those numbers pulled are for the entire district and not necessarily EC-6th?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.