Job Network
Sponsored by

family owned firm - considerations

2,434 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
neutics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would you take a job at a family owned firm like this? Would require a move between major metros in Texas.

Father started the firm 40 years ago, now 20+ employees and family name is well known in their market. He is 70+ years old but still works at least 1/2 days at the company and plans to do so for the foreseeable future. By most accounts the Father is a control freak that runs the company through fear and public reprimand. Turnover is high on the administrative side, but tenure is actually pretty long on the professional side (where I would work). Comments on glassdoor indicate a 'hostile work environment' and very controlling in terms of dress code, when you can take days off, and even regulating bathroom breaks for the administrative employees.

Son is President and effectively runs the company now, but can't escape father's overlord influence on the firm. He seems like a decent guy but admits most of the policies won't change until the father is no longer involved. A former employee warned me to carefully consider the culture and that I would need to 'bite my tongue' often, which is not normally my modus operandi as I come from a military background which can be blunt at times.

I'm trying to take pay out of the equation as the compensation is very good, with great potential for bonuses etc.

So, would you even consider this opportunity? For all I know the Founder/father may remain there for 10+ years.
HBCanine08
AG
Culture is important, and that culture sounds terrible. Even with the compensation, how long could you tolerate some of those things? Sooner, rather than later, those things will take their toll on your mental health.
jaggiemaggie
AG
I don't know about your location but I couldn't imagine having to deal with Houston or Dallas traffic and $#itty work environment.....
george92
Don't do it.
CenterHillAg
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Culture is important, and that culture sounds terrible. Even with the compensation, how long could you tolerate some of those things? Sooner, rather than later, those things will take their toll on your mental health.

This happened to a guy I worked with, left for a competitor that was offering him money that's not realistic for our position in the industry. The company is known for a rough work environment, and after two years he had lost most of his customer base, divorced, and then fired for semantics essentially. He can't even get another company to look at him now.
JamesPShelley
Stay. Far. Away.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Nope. Been in environments like that. Not worth it.
neutics
AG
Thank you all for talking sense into me. Now how to inform the company I am no longer interested....don't want to reveal my secret source and don't plan on even giving them a reason unless they ask.
powerbelly
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Stay. Far. Away.
O.G.
Life is too short to put up with that.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
For sure stay away. Here is an extra wrinkle to consider: generation 1 is still in control for reasons beyond just being a control freak. Guessing based solely on your post, G1 has the company up to its eyeballs in debt. Chances are, part of what may be driving the cultural problems is constant pressure from the bank. I've seen it a million times.
neutics
AG
blindey said:

For sure stay away. Here is an extra wrinkle to consider: generation 1 is still in control for reasons beyond just being a control freak. Guessing based solely on your post, G1 has the company up to its eyeballs in debt. Chances are, part of what may be driving the cultural problems is constant pressure from the bank. I've seen it a million times.
Our industry is not capital intensive i.e. no inventory and minimal overhead. They have owned the building they are in for decades so I don't think debt is part of this situation.

I think part of the reason G1 is sticking around is he doesn't have any other interests or retirement hobbies. I get why people like that don't want to retire without a purpose in life.
HollywoodBQ
AG
My brother worked for a small family business in Dallas for less than a year. He quickly realized that no matter how good he did, he was never going to be a member of the family.

I worked for a privately held small business in Denver where we went through a merger and a bankruptcy. Through that process I learned that in a small family business, the owners often feel like every dollar they give you is coming straight out of their own pocket (which is sort of true). And, if you get somebody who is useless in a position, if they're part of the family, they're probably not going anywhere - ever.

A great movie that deals with some of what you'll see in a family owned business is covered in the German movie called "Global Player". Especially the 90 year old father still wanting to exert some control over the company. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2585798/

In YouTube, you can choose the subtitle settings to auto-translate to English for this trailer in German.
neutics
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

A great movie that deals with some of what you'll see in a family owned business is covered in the German movie called "Global Player". Especially the 90 year old father still wanting to exert some control over the company. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2585798/
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. Took German in college but can't understand most of it anymore
Rudyjax
AG
Run. Fast.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

I worked for a privately held small business in Denver where we went through a merger and a bankruptcy. Through that process I learned that in a small family business, the owners often feel like every dollar they give you is coming straight out of their own pocket (which is sort of true). And, if you get somebody who is useless in a position, if they're part of the family, they're probably not going anywhere - ever.

So true. Anytime someone owns a company, they rately distinguish between personal and business. Its all personal.

I worker for a company where the owner would not buy post it notes. Thought they were a waste of money. If someone wanted them he would give them a box of cards of someone that left and tape.
aggiecive
tamc93
AG
Unthought Known said:

Quote:

So true. Anytime someone owns a company, they rately distinguish between personal and business. Its all personal.

I worker for a company where the owner would not buy post it notes. Thought they were a waste of money. If someone wanted them he would give them a box of cards of someone that left and tape.
Thanks for the laugh...

OP - a small firm has perks, but the key is path to ownership. If you are senior enough, ask. If not recognize, this is a likely stepping stone and build your network.
Mike Jones who Mike Jones
It sounds like you made up your mind. You could tell them after considering it you don't think it will be the right fit for you.

My wife is currently employed in a similar situation. Small company, family business, owner is semi-retired, will never give up full control. The compensation is good and it sounds like it is for you, and money isn't really an issue for the business but the drama, culture, demands and stress are unbelieveable for such a small place. it has also spilled over into our personal life. She works with family and as one poster mentioned, you will never measure up, and if you are ever in a managerial role over family it becomes difficult. She's been trying to figure out an exit strategy and after this job she looks at things much differently. She actually turned them down initially but they came back to her with an offer she (we) couldn't refuse and the extra things that won her over have yet to come to fruition
Ulrich
It would take unusual circumstances to get me to work at a company alongside multiple generations of the family that owns it. I've done it twice and both ended up being miserable places to work. Same with companies that have documented cultural issues.

The power in the firm tends to reside disproportionately with people who lack commensurate ability, knowledge, and even work ethic. It ends up creating a toxic work environment and driving away real talent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.