Job Network
Sponsored by

Extension on Job Offer?

3,273 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Collective
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this a thing? I'm graduating in May and just got my first offer, but I've applied to a few more places and I'm still not sure about going to DFW.
Madaman
a bird in hand is worth two in the bush
but i'd ask if i were you
TommyGun
AG
I think it's reasonable to ask for an extra day or two. They know you are probably getting multiple offers since you're a new grad, however, anything beyond that is a question mark. Maybe you're exactly who they're looking for and willing to wait a while for you to decide, or maybe they've got 10 others just like you on standby and they just need to wrap up the process. It all depends on the role itself.

Is this an offer that you would take immediately if it were in the city of your choice?
jaggiemaggie
AG
yeah I think an extra day or two wouldn't hurt to ask, just curious what makes you hesitate about Dallas? When I was looking job searching, We weren't sure about going to Houston.... Been here 5 years now, met our circle of friends, found an awesome church, and established our "village". I've been job hunting and expanded my job search and it will be tough to leave Houston...
powerbelly
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Is this a thing? I'm graduating in May and just got my first offer, but I've applied to a few more places and I'm still not sure about going to DFW.
I am usually fine with a day or two, but if the candidate is clearly keeping us as a backup then we will just move on to our second choice.
ww
AG
How long of an extension were you thinking?

Does the role already have an anticipated start date?

Not the most ethical thing to do, BUT if they want to know ASAP and the start date is pretty far away, you could always accept and still entertain the others. If one of the others work out and is more enticing that the job you accepted, be honest with them. Since it is a "right out of college" job, they'll likely be more understanding, flexible, and expect it (to an extent).

Congrats and good luck!
powerbelly
AG
williamwolf114 said:

Not the most ethical thing to do, BUT if they want to know ASAP and the start date is pretty far away, you could always accept and still entertain the others. If one of the others work out and is more enticing that the job you accepted, be honest with them. Since it is a "right out of college" job, they'll likely be more understanding, flexible, and expect it (to an extent).
This is terrible advice.

You will 100% burn bridges if you accept an offer and then decline down the road.
ww
AG
powerbelly51 said:

williamwolf114 said:

This is terrible advice.

You will 100% burn bridges if you accept an offer and then decline down the road.
Like I said, not the most ethical thing to do, or the best advice. But if a company expects a soon to be college grad, who obviously is in demand, to accept a job offer ASAP (that doesn't start for months) knowing that this in-demand person is likely fielding other offers, then they better make an offer that can't be passed up, or live with the risk of that person not working out. If it's an entry level job, they probably wont feel much pain, and likely have candidates ready to fill in.

mAgnoliAg - Don't know what industry this is in (or how open your conversations have been with the company), but you'd want to weigh your reward vs. risk (including those indicated by powerbelly51).
mAgnoliAg
AG
Not sure about DFW because it's too far from the coast for my liking. I've decided that I'm going to most likely accept it Monday or Tuesday and go from there. Thanks for the advice y'all.
I Am A Critic
powerbelly51 said:

williamwolf114 said:

This is terrible advice.

I'm always amazed how companies expect 100% loyalty and devotion from the people they offer jobs to while in the same breath would not hesitate to let someone go with no reason or advance notice at all. This double standard is BS.
powerbelly
AG
I don't know if I have ever heard of someone getting let go for no reason. The reason may be outside the employees control, but never for no reason.
Ag13
AG
williamwolf114 said:

Congrats and good luck!

Wow please don't follow this advice for the sake of your professional reputation and the reputation of A&M graduates. It's beyond not ethical. It could hurt you professionally especially if the job you do accept is in the same industry as the company you screw over. It's a small world out there to be honest. Chances are someone at company A is friends with someone at company B. Plus - the company you reject can give feedback to the career center who can then give feedback to your new employer and the career center will bar you from ever using their services.

Just ask for an extension. As long as it's reasonable I doubt an offer will be yanked over it. You won't be the first person to ever ask for an extension.

Alternatively if a more desirable company that you've already interviewed for is dragging their feet - it's cool to email or call the recruiter and explain what's going on. "You guys are my number one but need to know if I'll know by X date. Otherwise I'll need to ask company B for an extension." Could actually help you if they know you will accept the job when offered.
Martin Q. Blank
I Am A Critic said:

powerbelly51 said:

williamwolf114 said:

This is terrible advice.

I'm always amazed how companies expect 100% loyalty and devotion from the people they offer jobs to while in the same breath would not hesitate to let someone go with no reason or advance notice at all. This double standard is BS.
I used to work for a company that hired a bunch of new grads knowing they had no work for them only to fire them 2 months later. I later moved on, but that "burned a bridge" for me and I will never work for them again (and yes, they have asked).
hangman
You can take the offer because it is your intention to take the job at this moment. If a better offer rolls in later you have new information and should let them know immediately if you switch. Companies do much worse to employees and they can also yank your offer the day before you start for no reason. You aren't any more committed than they are just be courteous in your interactions and demonstrate your appreciation for their time. Companies are made up of thousands of people who all move around very quickly these days. You aren't likely to burn a bridge unless you display complete arrogance that leaves a strong negative impression.
TheMasterplan
Texas is an at-will state. It goes both ways. It's not unethical in the least in my opinion. Is it unethical to look for a job while you have a job? You have to look what's best for yourself and your career.

If a better offer comes your way that better suits you then go for it. Just be professional and courteous to the company you chose to reject.
Rusty GCS
AG
This isn't 1950 anymore. There is nothing wrong with accepting a job offer and then later taking a better offer.
Rusty GCS
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kaytiezimmerman/2016/06/07/millennials-stop-apologizing-for-job-hopping/amp/
Eliminatus
AG
Couldn't agree more Rusty

ETA: Responded to wrong person somehow
Capitol Ag
AG
Ag13 said:

williamwolf114 said:

Congrats and good luck!

Wow please don't follow this advice for the sake of your professional reputation and the reputation of A&M graduates. It's beyond not ethical. It could hurt you professionally especially if the job you do accept is in the same industry as the company you screw over. It's a small world out there to be honest. Chances are someone at company A is friends with someone at company B. Plus - the company you reject can give feedback to the career center who can then give feedback to your new employer and the career center will bar you from ever using their services.

Just ask for an extension. As long as it's reasonable I doubt an offer will be yanked over it. You won't be the first person to ever ask for an extension.

Alternatively if a more desirable company that you've already interviewed for is dragging their feet - it's cool to email or call the recruiter and explain what's going on. "You guys are my number one but need to know if I'll know by X date. Otherwise I'll need to ask company B for an extension." Could actually help you if they know you will accept the job when offered.
First, how in the heck would guy at company A even know about or talk to friend at B about a random applicant? The odds are so slim, it ain't funny. Doubt they'd ever know on either side to say anything. Unless the candidate was a famous person or something, it's not like they are bringing up all their targets in convos with each other. Hell, most of us don't want to sit around talking about work when we do it all day anyway. Doubt it ever would come up. Doubt there'd ever be any type of connection unless it is a specific industry. But take sales. You might have an offer to sale software, but later get one to sell industrial equipment. Doubt like hell these two companies ever talk to each other. Especially when one is in Dallas and the other is where the OP wants, near the coast.

On the 2nd point, there are strict and well known laws in place that would not allow the Career Center to give that kind of feedback to a new employer. Plus, I've worked with the Career Center. They wouldn't do this.

OP, there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your mind. As has been said, circumstances can and will change. Do what you need to do for you and your family. Period. If a company has issues with this, they have bigger problems over all. Most companies really will not care and will understand. It's no different than changing jobs or careers later in life. And completely your business. Companies cannot say anything to other companies either. It's illegal. So, outside of that very unlikely scenario where company A has a BFF at company B or your in a tiny industry where everyone knows each other, I wouldn't worry about it. And here is the thing about "tiny" industries or industries that aren't small but where everyone does know each other intimately due to the nature of the industry (like the coin op industry for instance), everyone still jumps around within the industry all the dang time. It's almost funny. But the fact is, companies want experience more than anything. Oh, they may beat their chests, make you sign non-compete clauses etc, but yet there seems to be a lot of folks moving from Company A to Company B or C all the time. It's quite normal.

Look, I get that you folks opposed to accepting and later backing out may be small business owners or are in situations where it may hurt you to have a new hire do an about face at the last minute or at least at some point after accepting a job. But for the vast majority of companies, it is quite common. My wife's boss had this happen to him 3 times for one position this month. Turns out HR didn't have a reasonable salary. When the boss found out, he blamed HR, not the applicant. Most companies are equipped to handle this type of thing and are used to it. I know i have gotten jobs for this very reason at times. The original person offered accepted and later pulled out. But acting like an applicant can't change their mind screams of being a tad bit self righteous and tells me that you or your company wouldn't be the best choice for my employment. ANd that's fine. Different strokes....
uneedastraw
Capitol ag, you are wrong.

I work for a regional sized company with about 10k employees. I manage a department of 10 employees and about 25 contractors. 1 of my 2 team leaders got fired for an HR issue outside of my comtrol around the time we were going through layoffs. I was not allowed to replace for 4 months. Finally I posted the job and offered a guy about 2 months later. He countered and we accepted for a start date at the beginning of the year which was about a month away.

He did exactly what you suggest and got offered another Job with higher pay a few days before our start date as he had about 4 more weeks to continue looking. So he ended up backing out a few days before our start date.

You can spin it however you want but it's a terrible thing to do to an employer. It was 3 months later before I found a replacement to the replacement leaving the job open for 10 months. Larger companies are still made up of individual employees. I was working 70 hours a week to maintain the department and was worn out. He prolonged my misery by another 4 months with his game playing. I understand he had to do what was best for him but I also will never consider him for another position in the future.

You do what's best for you but don't be fooled into thinking you won't burn a bridge.
I Am A Critic
uneedastraw said:

I work for a regional sized company with about 10k employees. I manage a department of 10 employees and about 25 contractors. 1 of my 2 team leaders got fired for an HR issue outside of my comtrol around the time we were going through layoffs. I was not allowed to replace for 4 months. Finally I posted the job and offered a guy about 2 months later. He countered and we accepted for a start date at the beginning of the year which was about a month away.

He did exactly what you suggest and got offered another Job with higher pay a few days before our start date as he had about 4 more weeks to continue looking. So he ended up backing out a few days before our start date.

You can spin it however you want but it's a terrible thing to do to an employer. It was 3 months later before I found a replacement to the replacement leaving the job open for 10 months. Larger companies are still made up of individual employees. I was working 70 hours a week to maintain the department and was worn out. He prolonged my misery by another 4 months with his game playing. I understand he had to do what was best for him but I also will never consider him for another position in the future.

You do what's best for you but don't be fooled into thinking you won't burn a bridge.

I wonder what the people laid off by your company would say about your unreasonable demand for loyalty.
uneedastraw
Considering they got a year severance, then they probably wouldn't care too much. I was somewhat hoping I would win the lay off lottery.

You don't accept a job after countering and getting more, then leave the company at the altar 2 days before your start date....and expect not to burn a bridge. Do what you got to do but don't be dumb enough to think that you aren't burning a bridge if you're playing with an offer to get a better one.

He had a job and came to us. Nobody forced him to accept the offer. If he wasn't ready to accept, he should have never accepted.
Dwide Schrude
AG
I think people are arguing two different things in this thread.

Should you do it? Yes.
Will it burn a bridge? Probably.

But if it does, why is that such a big deal? How likely are you to reapply at that company? What are the chances the hiring manager would be the same? What about all the other available companies?

The point is it's not worth worrying about. Do what you think is best for you every time. You owe this company nothing. The worst that happens is you have to deal with an awkward conversation. Good life lesson if you ask me.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

But if it does, why is that such a big deal? How likely are you to reapply at that company? What are the chances the hiring manager would be the same? What about all the other available companies?
It all depends on the industry.

I have seen the same person's resume at two different software companies. It is a long shot, but not nearly and impossibility.
I Am A Critic
powerbelly51 said:

I have seen the same person's resume at two different software companies. It is a long shot, but not nearly and impossibility.
You've worked for more than one company in the same industry yet it's not okay for someone else to do the same?! The double standard continues.
powerbelly
AG
I Am A Critic said:

powerbelly51 said:

You've worked for more than one company in the same industry yet it's not okay for someone else to do the same?! The double standard continues.
Yep, two companies in the same PE portfolio.

To act like doing this wont possibly burn bridges is asinine.
Dwide Schrude
AG
I know it's not an impossibility. That's not my point. I'm arguing it's not worth worrying about, especially for an entry level job.

I'm in O&G. People talk, a lot. I "know" who has pissed people off, their employment history, the bridges they've burned, etc. Information both from within and outside my organization. Doesn't seem to affect their career opportunities as long as they do good work and have at least one person on their side.
Capitol Ag
AG
uneedastraw said:

Not sure how I am "wrong". It's totally a matter of opinion here. In your particular case, it hurt you. You had to work longer hours, deal with scrutiny etc. Now a few questions: You say he left for a greater salary. Did he not come to you to counter this salary? I could see him at least trying to do that to at least give you an option. More money almost always wins out. So you can't fault him there. The fact is there were probably other factors involved as well to his work/life balance. He might have gotten better benefits like (and not to really focus on the details b/c who knows) working more from home or more vacation or more flexibility to his schedule, a better commute, doing a job he liked more. Whatever. Again, the detail aren't important b/c we all have things that would interest us in different ways. I would suggest to the guy to at least give you the option and be honest. "Hey, things changed. Got an offer that will help me and my family more. But, since I did agree to you originally, is there any chance you can match this? Otherwise I would have to take it instead."That, to me, is a fair way to handle this.

Again, I still fail to see what he did wrong outside of a counter at least. Sounds like bum luck if you ask me. The real thing here is to remember it's just business. Try to work on not taking it personally. Sure, I get it sucked for you and your work-life balance no doubt. But if you were in the same shoes and a much better job were to be offered in terms of you interests, time, salary and it would allow you to be closer to your family or better for your family. Let's say it would be a job that allowed you to commute less and be more available to pick up kids etc, would you not take it? Again, it's totally your choice, but I doubt you ever see this person's resume and even if you do, there will be plenty of other hiring managers who will know nothing about your particular case that will hire this person. Many would know and still would hiring if he's or she's good at their job...
uneedastraw
He accepted after he countered. That's where his "wrong" happened. He countered the first offer which he should have, and I had to go back to HR to get it approved. So I worked and was only able to get him to 50% of his counter....which was $5k a year under his counter (or a little Less than 5% of total). I was upfront with him beforehand so he knew what to expect when I shorted his counter.

He did wrong by accept the offer and continuing to look for a job. Nobody forced him to accept. I even said are you sure you're fine with this when he accepted as he immediately accepted. He could have said I need 1-2 more weeks since we didn't meet his counter. He already had a good job in our industry so it wasn't like he had to take the first offer given to him. Don't commit to something and then continue to look for a job secretly. After he accepted, He used the offer and went back to another opportunity. He didn't have to accept to do that.

It was a crappy thing to do to back out 2 days before starting, but I have always said he had to do what was best for him...he just executed it poorly. And when you do what he did, expect to burn a bridge. The devil is in the details but I can't believe some of you don't see this as a reason to burn a bridge. Everybody in the industry outside of our company that knows the situation will say they can't believe he did what he did.
The Collective
AG
Circumstances change. I've never reneged, but I wouldn't hold it against someone in the corporate culture we deal with today. People have to look out for themselves, because the business sure isn't going to do it for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.