Job Network
Sponsored by

MS in Business or Data Analytics - Worth it?

21,482 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Madagascar
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm seriously considering going back for a master's in business or data analytics because this is the role many in my company see me in in the future. It's definitely something I'm interested in and want to pursue, but it's not something to do lightly. I know it's a big time and financial commitment, so I was wondering if anyone has gotten this kind of degree and found it a worthwhile pursuit. Thoughts?
Vernada
AG
Have you been to any info sessions?
Vernada
AG
The A&M analytics program has some coming up:

http://analytics.stat.tamu.edu/index.php#seminar
The Lost
What's your current background/experience? Will the company help pay?

They can be a good investment, extremely if you can't get into a top tier MBA. From experience they're better with business or coding backgrounds because they only go so deep in one year.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I have some experience coding. I've built some fairly complex macros in Excel to interact with our project management database, and I'm writing/maintaining the vb.net code for a validation piece that plugs into our project management front end. I'm also leading a project that is using a middleware to sync costs and budgets between our PM and accounting databases. My BS is in Construction Science, so I have a bit of a background in accounting, project controls, scheduling, and how they all connect. I'm not a straight business or stats guy, but I'm not trying to make a switch from something like history or communications either.

I haven't been to any info sessions yet. I've just been kicking this idea astound in my head for a little while and wanted some outside perspective before going further.

My company will pay, but our limit is $1500 annually. Not much when you consider the A&M program is $50k over 2 years or so, but I suppose I could try to negotiate more on exchange for pledging to stick around once I graduate. I'm looking at UTSA right now (sacrilege, I know) because it's close to home and seems to be much more affordable, but I'm not sure if a grad degree is a grad degree or if it truly matters what program I try to enter. Their program is pretty new, so I'm not sure what it would mean in a future job search should I ever feel like leaving (I don't).
Vernada
AG
Quote:

Dinner with Current Students & Faculty/Informational Session for Prospective Students
April 13, 2017

A Technical Overview of MS Analytics: A Webinar with Academic Director Dr. Simon Sheather
April 19, 2017
Both of these are right around the corner and will be online. You should take advantage and see if it sounds like something you'd be interested in.

It sounds like you're in a pretty unique spot (kind of an information crossroads) to potentially take advantage of an Analytics degree and show some value to your employer.
JobSecurity
AG
Look at the GA Tech OMS Analytics program. Fully online version of their Ms in analytics that they are just starting. Same exact material as on campus but only costs 10k or so.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think I will probably do that. Thanks for the advice!
ABATTBQ11
AG
foleyt said:

Look at the GA Tech OMS Analytics program. Fully online version of their Ms in analytics that they are just starting. Same exact material as on campus but only costs 10k or so.

Thanks. I've been looking at different programs, but I haven't seen theirs.
Deputy Travis Junior
You said that the A&M program is 2 years. A lot of highly ranked programs at great schools are only 1 academic year (that is, 9 months), which reduces both the tuition and the time spent away from work. You ought to look into some of those.
Vernada
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

You said that the A&M program is 2 years. A lot of highly ranked programs at great schools are only 1 academic year (that is, 9 months), which reduces both the tuition and the time spent away from work. You ought to look into some of those.
Except that the A&M program is a part time program designed for folks that are working... so no time away from work.
Deputy Travis Junior
Aaaaand this shows I haven't done any research on it.

Don't you just hate it when one of your posts trips and faceplants right out of the starting block?
Boat Shoes
AG
Out of curiosity, what are the top 1 year (9 month) programs in the analytics field?
Hannah McKay
AG
I'm not sure if they are all 9 month programs, but the top 5 programs include MIT, Carnegie Mellon, University of Texas (tu if we're being grammatically correct), University of Chicago, and Columbia - full list can be found here.

I'm currently finishing up my Master's in Business Analytics and would be happy to answer any questions about the degree
stonana
AG
How do you guys think about these types of programs compared to A&M's online MS in Statistics? Are these more applied and less rigorous (in terms of theory). I didn't realize these analytics programs were such a big deal these days (although it makes sense)
Vernada
AG
stonana said:

How do you guys think about these types of programs compared to A&M's online MS in Statistics? Are these more applied and less rigorous (in terms of theory). I didn't realize these analytics programs were such a big deal these days (although it makes sense)
Exactly. Much more focused on real world application and analysis to solve business problems instead of the theory and math behind the scenes.
stonana
AG
Hmm, this all has given me some things to think about. I actually just recently started the online MS in Statistics through A&M, but I honestly didn't realize there were so many options out there for Analytics. I started the program because I felt it would give me some useful skills in the future since I believe there is a lot of value in analyzing data. I guess I need to evaluate my options again.
lancevance
What do you guys think of the SMU program?

https://datascience.smu.edu/

Costs 50K as well, 100% online.
stonana
AG
im fairly new at looking at these programs, but at first glance the SMU program doesn't seem attractive for a few reasons

1) it's not 100% online, as you are "required to attend two in-person immersion experiences located on one of the SMU campuses in Texas"

2) interdiscplinary is generally interesting, but this program is between humanities, engineering and arts and NOT the business school. I would be more interesting in one that was also linked to the business school

3) the cost seems very high at $56k+, especially when you look at a program like Georgia Tech's online analytics program that will be less than $10k

This just feels like a money grab for SMU, and I'm not sure the brand is worth the price. Those are just my two cents though. My last thought is, if you weren't in Texas and you were looking at all your options, would you put SMU over online options? I probably wouldn't.
Al Bula
AG
Which firms will recruit this degree from the Career Center? Have any big time companies bought into hiring graduates yet?
Vernada
AG
RPM said:

Which firms will recruit this degree from the Career Center? Have any big time companies bought into hiring graduates yet?

I'm only familiar with the A&M program.

It's more suited to experienced professionals who are looking to add analytics to their skill set to apply to their current job or company or possibly make a move inside your industry.

lancevance
stonana said:

im fairly new at looking at these programs, but at first glance the SMU program doesn't seem attractive for a few reasons

1) it's not 100% online, as you are "required to attend two in-person immersion experiences located on one of the SMU campuses in Texas"

2) interdiscplinary is generally interesting, but this program is between humanities, engineering and arts and NOT the business school. I would be more interesting in one that was also linked to the business school

3) the cost seems very high at $56k+, especially when you look at a program like Georgia Tech's online analytics program that will be less than $10k

This just feels like a money grab for SMU, and I'm not sure the brand is worth the price. Those are just my two cents though. My last thought is, if you weren't in Texas and you were looking at all your options, would you put SMU over online options? I probably wouldn't.
Thanks. When looking at it, it did seem a bit all over the place. As in, little bit of this, and a little bit of that.

But is Georgia Tech's online program a "Real" program, or just Udacity on drugs?
Cruiser87
AG
I'm curious about opinions on the Georgia Tech program as well.

In the meantime, they have three courses on edx.org as well that I will be taking/auditing starting in May, just to get a feel.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Daughter's friend is getting ready to be done with the SMU program. straight from UG @ SMU so 23.

got a job with IBM in NYC.

as with the aggie network, there are other school networks that make it worth the cost sometime.
jc100
AG
I am currently in the MS Business program at TAMU. If you would like to hear about the program, send me a PM!
SammyL
Anyone completed or enrolled in the Texas A&M MS Analytics program? If so, could you share your experience: Pros/Cons? Is there a difference of perception of getting an MS Analytics degree online or on campus?
500,000ags
AG
If I can get my GMAT high enough, I will likely apply for the UT MS in Business Analytics. It's one-third people with experience and two-thirds no experience, one year long, and is placing well for those with experience. Starting salaries aren't as high as the MBA, but it seems to be allowing people to career switch for half the cost of a MBA.
Halconblack
AG
500,000ags said:

If I can get my GMAT high enough, I will likely apply for the UT MS in Business Analytics. It's one-third people with experience and two-thirds no experience, one year long, and is placing well for those with experience. Starting salaries aren't as high as the MBA, but it seems to be allowing people to career switch for half the cost of a MBA.
Standard MBA programs are starting to go away. Iowa was the latest big school I saw to drop them. The bottom line is that unless you are paying for the graduate network from a premier school (Harvard, University of Chicago) most of the programs are a mix of not being worth it or rely on under-grads that have way too much debt already. I really like the MS BA programs. We are probably going to hire one or two people over the next year out of them to come work with us as we start to turn our focus away from how we collect data and control machines and really focus on how we optimize and provide advice to our customers on how to use the machines.
TyHolden
AG
You could do this for free through Coursera and most programs are from Ivy League programs. If anything, you get your feet wet and decide if you really want to do this.
Aggie Q
AG
I highly recommend the Georgia Tech program: https://pe.gatech.edu/master-science-degrees/online-master-science-analytics

Actually, if you just wanted to get your feet wet, the great thing about that program is that you can take the first 3 courses at a discounted rate via edX before you are even accepted (via the "MicroMasters" program on edX: https://www.edx.org/micromasters/analytics-essential-tools-methods) and then if you decide to pursue the full-on masters program, you'll be able to apply those courses to your degree (e.g. you'll be 30% done as soon as you are admitted).
Brenner
AG
Aggie Q said:

I highly recommend the Georgia Tech program: https://pe.gatech.edu/master-science-degrees/online-master-science-analytics

Actually, if you just wanted to get your feet wet, the great thing about that program is that you can take the first 3 courses at a discounted rate via edX before you are even accepted (via the "MicroMasters" program on edX: https://www.edx.org/micromasters/analytics-essential-tools-methods) and then if you decide to pursue the full-on masters program, you'll be able to apply those courses to your degree (e.g. you'll be 30% done as soon as you are admitted).

Have you completed the entire OMSA program? I just signed up to audit one of the edX courses.. will likely get the verified certificate and use this as a step toward applying for the program. Really interested in this and curious about real world return from some that have finished.
Aggie Q
AG
To be clear - I'm not in the program myself, so you'll have to get the "value" question answered by others. I suspect, though, that that's a question only you can truly answer.

However, if you can get your employer to foot $1500 annually, and you are creative with when you time your courses to fall on as many fiscal years as possible, then you can probably get close to 100% of the GT program paid for. At that point, the "value" question is almost entirely one of opportunity costs - was the time you gave up to the coursework more valuable spent doing something else?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dang. Browsing and didn't expect to see this not far from the top.

I'm currently putting together an application for UTSA's analytics program. It's local, part time, and not incredibly expensive. I'll let you guys know how it goes in a couple of years.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Well, I got my acceptance to UTSA today. Enrolling for fall 2018. Looks like one 8 week course at a time, two days a week. Not too bad I guess.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Update: I'm a full year in at UTSA in their Data Analytics program, and so far it's been well worth it. I've learned a ton, and it's given me a lot of new perspective on business problems. I've also made a lot of good friends well outside my normal sphere. I'd definitely recommend the program.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.