Job Network
Sponsored by

LinkedIn- what's your two cents on it?

1,483 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cgh1999
runontexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there value in it?

Read conflicting reports..
Ulrich
I'm not sure it's much good for "networking", but I have gotten a job from a recruiter who found me there. I try to keep my profile relatively current even though I'm not looking.
lunchbox
If you find a job on a company website, go to LI and see if they have it posted there as well. Often times, it will show you who posted it and that gives you a chance to send them a message letting them know you applied and a quick-hit on why you are a good fit for the job. You might need to pay for Premium to message them if they aren't in your network. I don't remember. I upgraded to Premium during the few months I was searching and then went back to basic.

I rarely pay attention to the Facebook-type wall.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I've been on there since 2004. Haven't bothered with some of the newer features but... Yes, it is incredibly valuable. The top reasons are:

1 - Gives you insight into who knows who. This can be really useful for interviews and searching for jobs. For example, a few years ago I had a job interview with a company and in two seconds, I was able to see who I knew who worked for that company and could give me the straight story on the company.

2 - Gives recruiters, interviewers and customers some insight into who you are, what your background is and what mutual contacts you have. I wouldn't say I've gotten a job from it per se but, I've had numerous recruiter contacts via LinkedIn.
aggieaviator
AG
My wife and I both had better luck with Monster. I wouldn't expect too much activity with LinkedIn. Most activity will be colleagues and friends stalking you. It won't hurt to set one up, but I would definitely make sure your current resume is loaded on Monster, Indeed, etc.
redAg13
AG
LinkedIn is a good resource to learn about customers/clients/opportunities. It has served me well in providing mutual contact information for customers. Unfortunately, in the last couple of months the site tends to crash constantly. I do have better luck using the app on my phone, but the main website is a disaster. Also, be prepared to be contacted by recruiter constantly if you do not turn off the "recruiter contact option" in settings.
Zip 88
Absolutely WORTHLESS!

I have had an account twice; this iteration for quite some time. I have NEVER drawn any interest/e-mails from recruiters. I guess the logistics-related career fields are all full.

I have wasted money a few times upgrading to Premium in order to me able to In-Mail. My requests for professional advice/assistance have gone largely ignored. My ROI has been "spam" posts from the Premium Job Seeker Group; usually misplaced ads for real estate sprinkled in with "puppy dogs and rainbows" threads about how being unemployed can have a silver lining, as it gives me time for introspection, and opportunities to explore online self-improvement courses.

My experiences with Monster have shown that they are woefully behind in their job postings. Whenever I followed a lead from Monster to the hiring company's own web site, the majority of jobs were no longer being advertised, or had just closed.

The best successes I have had in turning up any leads have actually come from these boards. Keep grinding, use the Aggie Network, and whenever possible...RETURN THE FAVOR!
RedlineAg08
I've had great success with LinkedIn connecting with customers, recruiters, etc.

You get what you put into it. For 6 years I just had a profile and didn't see much of a use for it. In the last year I've actuallyput time into building/updating my profile and it's opened a lot of doors.
HBCanine08
AG
lunchbox said:

If you find a job on a company website, go to LI and see if they have it posted there as well. Often times, it will show you who posted it and that gives you a chance to send them a message letting them know you applied and a quick-hit on why you are a good fit for the job. You might need to pay for Premium to message them if they aren't in your network.
This is pretty much what I do. I wait about 2 weeks after I submit my application to contact the person via LinkedIn. Occasionally, the HR folks will post their work emails and you can contact them directly without needing to upgrade to Premium
KALALL
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

I've had great success with LinkedIn to connecting with customers, recruiters, finding in roads with potential customers, etc.

You get what you put into it. For 6 years I just had a profile and didn't see much of a use for it. In the last year I've actuallyput time into building/updating my profile and it's opened a lot of doors.

I've read articles about using LinkedIn for sales, but I haven't figured out the dynamic of viewing somebody's profile and then calling them. I don't want to appear to be a creeper when they get a notification that I looked at their profile and then call them in the next couple of days. Maybe it's just something I need to get over.
cgh1999
AG
kaleb_allison said:

RedlineAg08 said:

I've had great success with LinkedIn to connecting with customers, recruiters, finding in roads with potential customers, etc.

I've read articles about using LinkedIn for sales, but I haven't figured out the dynamic of viewing somebody's profile and then calling them. I don't want to appear to be a creeper when they get a notification that I looked at their profile and then call them in the next couple of days. Maybe it's just something I need to get over.
I have had great success with using linkedin for sales in two specific ways.

1. The search feature. I'm in commercial banking, so I am looking to connect with CEO's and CFO's. I'll enter that into search and then refine by geographic results. I have a free profile so it only gives me the 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree connections. I just searched for CFO in the Houston,TX area. 5,112 results. It gives me a list that I can then refine down further using linkedin and other search tools.

2. Once I identify a company I want to get in front of, I will enter that company name in linkedin and look for key employees. I'll find the CFO and then look for common connections. If a common connection is someone I know well enough, i'll ask for an introduction. (This also works on the search method in #1)

My profile description also has significant detail, so I often show up when people are searching for specific types of banking.

The new linkedin is less user friendly because they're trying to drive subscriptions. But, it's still a valuable tool if you put in some time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.