Job Network
Sponsored by

Career help: Sales, Sports Media, Sports Journalism

1,264 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agfan2332
CoachC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy y'all,

I've come to the boards today because I am currently at a cross roads. I graduated last May with an education degree with the intent of becoming a teacher and coach back home in San Antonio. I'm currently teaching part time while in grad school where I hope to obtain my masters degree in history, just in case education is in fact the route I will end up choosing to go down. The problem however is that I have lately found myself going through the motions and feel like I need to try and challenge myself a bit more. I have experience in sales, sports media, and sports journalism and was hoping some of you guys might be able to point me in the right direction towards some potential opportunities. I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks y'all.

- Colton Chumbley '16
zooguy96
What is case education? No idea.

What do you have your teaching certificate in? Higher need areas are going to be easier to find jobs in. I'm certified in Secondary Math and Biology - so, I will always have a job if I want one (those being two of the highest need areas). I still get calls from multiple districts each summer asking if I have a job, even though I haven't applied for some of the districts in 5 years.
CoachC16
AG
Getting my masters in history *in case* education is the route I want to go down. Haha sorry for the mix up there. I'll be certified in agriculture science and history, and I actually have had quite a few offers in that field. However I'm starting to think that there could be some better opportunities out there for me considering some of my prior work experience.
LHIOB
AG
Colton have your brother give you my info. I worked on sports sales for 8 years and I can give you pros and cons.

Assuming you are Ty's brother.

My name is Adam.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Sports journalism is what I did. You can email me at

Princessbuttercupta @ gmail.com
histag10
AG
If you are wanting to do teaching in History, I would suggest taking the extra classes to get certified in Social Sciences. Being certified in history is too narrow (imo) for a school district to pick you up with no other qualifications. Social science gives you a broader area that encompasses history.

Are you debating changing your masters to something else that is more geared to sports media/journalism, or are you hoping education/history would qualify you for those jobs?
CoachC16
AG
Wow man small world, thanks for reaching out. Ty just sent me your info I'll definitely give you a shout soon.
CoachC16
AG
I already have had quite a few offers in the education field. I was hoping to try and branch out and find some opportunities elsewhere in the fields listed above.
Rexter
Check with Power Productions in Austin. Jeff may have something...or not.
agfan2332
I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. Got laid off from an O&G job and wanted to get back into sports somehow either doing journalism or teaching and coaching.

My advice: if you are willing to put in more hours than you will get paid to coach and teach, then it's worth it. Otherwise, it is a grind until June because most HS coaches (especially football) treat it like it's the NFL at this level, or at least that was my experience.

If you want to do sports journalism, figure out what you want to do first with it either being a writer or an actual broadcaster and try and make as many contacts as you possibly can and have demos ready to give people
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.