Job Network
Sponsored by

Ag Lending?

1,453 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
Green2Maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I graduated with an agribusiness degree in 2010 and currently work at a sugar factory in a transportation/receiving position. I have some accounting experience in the coal industry also. Looking to possibly transition into Ag lending and currently live in Montana. Anyone have any information? Thanks.
george92
Why would you want to leave such a sweet gig?
redAg13
AG
You can access all district jobs through the Farm Credit Bank of Texas. I currently work in Farm Credit. Overall, it's great industry to work in. There are a lot of really good Associations within Farm Credit as a whole. Good luck!
Green2Maroon
AG
I'm basically a glorified clerk at less than 40k.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
All I can tell you about lending, at any type of lending institution, be prepared to re-start your career at day 0. I have yet to find a bank or any lending institution that values any type of past experiences that you may have. They will assume you are stupid and treat you as such and work your butt off. If you haven't been out of school long then this may not be a big deal.

But maybe I'm just jaded.

If I were you I'd contact the folks at Agri-Associates and see what they can find for you.

(I wish I had done that years ago. )
Green2Maroon
AG
That doesn't sound very convincing. I graduated six years ago at 26 (4 years Army before college) and I don't want to totally start over.
Aggie09Derek
AG
"Starting over" will probably yield you a better pay check day 1.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
There are a lot of really good careers in agriculture that your degree would qualify you for. That is why I'd use a recruiter that knows the industry. You can look anywhere from grain trading and elevator management, to feed sales and management, seed and technology sales and distribution, and supply chain management for any of the major food producers. In addition Wal-Mart, HEB and all the retail folks hire Ag majors. There is also a need for folks that sell, service and help demonstrate equipment.

Bottom line is there are a lot of avenues to consider before you settled on Ag. Lending.

The big key, and this is the really big one, is that you have got to be willing to relocate and possibly do it often early in your career.
Green2Maroon
AG
I just registered with Ag 1 Source and Hansen Agri-Placement and applied for a few positions.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Contact Agri-Assiciates as well. They are good people. Use as many as you can.

Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.