Job Network
Sponsored by

Why is Austin so tough to break into?

4,458 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JoeOlson
Bosco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been in SA for 15 years in clinical research and now in DFW. For the life of me I can't get in with PPD, Asuragen, Smith & Nephew, etc. Im now willing to change career paths a little to get back closer to Austin but no luck. Anyone have connections in biotech, clinical research (trials) or anything else with opportunity for advancement? Willing to make a career change.
cevans_40
AG
Try the back door. I hear those people are little different.
texancanuck11
My theory is that the supply for job seekers outweighs the demand. Lots of young people are moving to town, and are cheaper than experienced professionals.
Complaint Investigator
AG
There are a ton of people in Austin already, and a ton more wanting to move here. Austin is flooded.

To get a job here coming off active duty, I networked like mad. I was on every networking board, every Aggie site, every Veteran mentor site available. Most were on LinkedIn. A Veteran recruiter is what got me in the door. He sent my resume off, and about 30 minutes later I had an e-mail, from a manager who was a Veteran, that wanted me to start work ASAP. It's been great ever since then.

It helped that they wanted a specific skill set that they wanted (deals with SAP) but I capitalized on it and it worked for me. I would use networking via LinkedIn et al to get your foot in the door. Find someone who has a job title similar to what you want at the company you want to work for, and send them a message asking if they'd be willing to give you an informational interview about what they do, the company etc. It worked really well for me. YMMV.
HollywoodBQ
AG
The reason Austin is so tough to break into is because there are two diploma mills between Austin and San Marcos that keep the market flooded with entry level grads. And, those folks are willing to do anything for low wages just to keep living in Austin.

Good Luck.
OlArmy01
AG
Hey Bosco,
Send me an email. I'm in the industry and may be able to help you out.

chris@fdaqrc.com

My company is FDA Quality and Regulatory Consultants, we specialize in clinical QA

Chris
Bosco
AG
Thanks OlArmy01!

Email sent.
AccAg
If you still haven't found anything check out below. It would be a career change but I'd be willing to help out.

http://www.accruent.com/company/careers
Bosco
AG
AccAg,

Can you provide an email so I can contact you?

AccAg
jcoates@accruent.com
chiken
AG
I have a friend that works at PPD. I sent her an e-mail asking if there are any openings. What type of career were you interested in with this company?

She says they ARE hiring and to visit: ppdi.com to search for job opportunities. If you can give me an idea of what position you were interested in, maybe she can help more.
xfactor91
I broke into austin...very nice place, but damn it is expensive.

And now the job isn't going too well, and I will be forced to look elsewhere going against the "young" crowd.

I do python, python, python and C#, SQL.

AccAg, you looking for seasoned python programmers?
Bosco
AG
Thanks for everything here, gents!

For the time being I have extended my contract here another year (my lease was close to being up anyway).

I will be revisiting this thread in 10 months or so. By then I will be in a much better financial position, since my current company is paying me nicely.

BTW chiken, what's your email so I can stay in touch with you? I'd love to have an insider at PPD.

Bosco
AG
Oh and I'm very sorry to hear that wxman2005!

I wish I had connections in that industry for you.
jakester03
AG
We are looking for python programmers. Email me at jnewton at Aggienetwork.com
JoeOlson
AG
Have you looked at Continuum Analytics at all? Basically 100% python shop iirc
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.