Job Network
Sponsored by

Structural Engineering Job Opportunity in Houston

1,198 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bmks270
labayouboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My company, LJB, Inc., is looking to hire a structural engineer to design BUILDINGS (warehouses, office buildings, etc.). We're looking for a recent college grad and/or someone with 5 years of experience or less. If you are looking, know someone who is looking,and fit that description, contact me via private message. We DO NOT want someone that has primarily designed bridges or worked in oil & gas. Commercial building design experience is a requirement for those already in the job market.
jamaggie06
AG
Name of the company would be nice.
OCEN99
AG
Just curious, why would O&G experience disqualify someone from an entry-level role?
jamaggie06
AG
Interesting. I have lots of tilt wall experience. Cut my teeth out of school at a firm doing mostly tilt wall. Did four years and got my PE, moved back to Houston and have doing industrial and utility structural work since.
labayouboy
AG
It sounds sounds like you may have the background we're looking for.
labayouboy
AG
The thought is that candidates with commercial building design experience would be more familiar with the type of design (primarily steel, concrete, tiltwall,etc.), programs (RAM, Enercalc, RISA, etc.), & codes (IBC, ACI, ASCE 7) they would be asked to use. We aren't necessarily looking for someone who's spent the last 4-5 years designing pipe supports, pipe racks, skids, and/or tank foundations. Also as you may know, the salary expectations are different in oil & gas and commercial.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
labayouboy said:

Also as you may know, the salary expectations are different in oil & gas and commercial.

There's the main reason. It's a shame how underpaid structural engineers are that work in the commercial/residential realm. I got started in O&G design, and never could bring myself to take the pay cut to jump into commercial.

I have friends who live in NYC and design skyscrapers but get paid <75k a year. I don't know how they survive.
jamaggie06
AG
Bump bc I've seen the job listing in LinkedIn amd Glassdoor.

Out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, whats the salary range? Also, it looks like you are looking fir someone with less experience than myself. It never hurts to talk to people and I went and interviewed with a small structural firm out in Sugar Land a few years back, but here's a quick rundown of my resume:

BS A&M - cum laude
ME A&M
PE in TX & AR
SE in IL
- four years doing commercial building design with heavy emphasis on retail and warehouse construction. Also did numerous rennovation and remodel projects, including removing columns and portions of an intermediate floor slab in a tightly confined area of a hundred year old historical building. Duties were pretty straight forward, various levels of component design including lateral systems as well as foundation design. Coordinate with architects and contractors, provde CA support including RFIs, field fixes and review of shop drawings.
- 5 years experience in industrial design focusing on the transmission and distribution of power systems. Primarily focused on substation structures, but also support T-Line work with tower analysis and modifications, as well as pole analysis. In addition, I provide support to our industrial electrical work focusing on process facility substations and power distribution at the facility as well as unit level.
- Familar with all shapes of codes and standards such ASCE 7, IBC, NESC, ASCE 113, ASCE 48, ASCE 10, PIP
- familar with numerous analysis and design programs like RISA, RAM, STAAD, etc.
- solid background in concrete, steel, timber and masonry design.
- solid background in structural mechanics, structural stability, structural dynamics and finite element analysis (would love to learn ANSYS and/or other high end analysis programs).
- avid self learner. Continually study areas of interest such as stability and mechanics and dynamics. Been studying up on electrical power systems as that is relevant to my current work.

I know most of that is beyond what LJB is looking for, but I thought I'd plug myself in case anyone is looking at this thread as I currently am open to more challenging and detailed work in addition to advancing my career into management/sales/client relations.
bmks270
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

labayouboy said:

Also as you may know, the salary expectations are different in oil & gas and commercial.

There's the main reason. It's a shame how underpaid structural engineers are that work in the commercial/residential realm. I got started in O&G design, and never could bring myself to take the pay cut to jump into commercial.

I have friends who live in NYC and design skyscrapers but get paid <75k a year. I don't know how they survive.

That is almost poverty level in NYC. Unreal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.