Job Network
Sponsored by

Trying to get my foot in the door at an oil and gas company.

3,702 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PetroAg87
koadie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

Recently, I've been trying to get my foot in the door with oil and gas companies.

The problem is my field of expertise is limited to those larger companies (government affairs, personnel complaints, regulatory management).

I had some small luck with BP but the position was filled internally. Fortunately for me, Shell has opened up a position in Houston that is right up my alley. So, in the hopes to make a connection, are there any Ags that work with Shell that would be will willing to help me out? If you're in the Houston area, I'll be willing to buy lunch to pick your brain and get some information on how to get my foot in the door. I know the best way is to have someone who works for the company recommend you, but any other tips tricks and information would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Littlebrotherag.
tryan
AG
What is your email?
BrazosDog02
AG
littlebrotherag said:

The problem is my field of expertise is limited to those larger companies (government affairs, personnel complaints, regulatory management).

I know the best way is to have someone who works for the company recommend you, but any other tips tricks and information would be very helpful.
The two things in your post that you can straighten out in your head have been quoted. First, don't worry about your level of experience or expertise. NO ONE is qualified for the job they have. Job requirements are dreamed up by people largely disconnected from the company or position. My job had about 5 pages of 'requirements' but the truth is, you really only used about 4 items on one page and a ton not even listed. It's one thing to be grossly unqualified, but if you have a few of them, then go for it. Second, don't waste time with applications. As you already know, most of those are purely for show and have people internally slated to fill them. Plus, you have to go through HR or an internal recruiter, and generally, those have no clue about the jobs the company performs and you will essentially be going through a person trying to check off boxes that a paper form has. You need the hiring manager, not a grunt.

The ONLY way to get in these days is direct contacts. This is a great place to try to do that, but there are tons of other avenues and I suggest you do them all. Linkedin, phone calls, emails....all of the above multiple times to the same person until you get a response, regardless of what that response is. Not just anyone...managers, VP, CEO....My first job in O&G was with zero experience. A buddy of mine heard from a buddy of his that a guy at a big service company was hiring folks with degrees. They had an online posting for months. I went in, he hired me, and all my buddies, and threw a ton of money at us. All the while having a stack of resumes with people far more qualified for the job. It happened then. It happens now. Be aggressive. In O&G now, its the direct contact and highly aggressive folks getting interviews.

Be optimistic but also be prepared to be looking for this job in 6 months, its not YOU, its just the way it is. You are now in sales.
koadie
AG
Email received.
koadie
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

littlebrotherag said:

I know the best way is to have someone who works for the company recommend you, but any other tips tricks and information would be very helpful.
The two things in your post that you can straighten out in your head have been quoted. First, don't worry about your level of experience or expertise. NO ONE is qualified for the job they have. Job requirements are dreamed up by people largely disconnected from the company or position. My job had about 5 pages of 'requirements' but the truth is, you really only used about 4 items on one page and a ton not even listed. It's one thing to be grossly unqualified, but if you have a few of them, then go for it. Second, don't waste time with applications. As you already know, most of those are purely for show and have people internally slated to fill them. Plus, you have to go through HR or an internal recruiter, and generally, those have no clue about the jobs the company performs and you will essentially be going through a person trying to check off boxes that a paper form has. You need the hiring manager, not a grunt.

The ONLY way to get in these days is direct contacts. This is a great place to try to do that, but there are tons of other avenues and I suggest you do them all. Linkedin, phone calls, emails....all of the above multiple times to the same person until you get a response, regardless of what that response is. Not just anyone...managers, VP, CEO....My first job in O&G was with zero experience. A buddy of mine heard from a buddy of his that a guy at a big service company was hiring folks with degrees. They had an online posting for months. I went in, he hired me, and all my buddies, and threw a ton of money at us. All the while having a stack of resumes with people far more qualified for the job. It happened then. It happens now. Be aggressive. In O&G now, its the direct contact and highly aggressive folks getting interviews.

Be optimistic but also be prepared to be looking for this job in 6 months, its not YOU, its just the way it is. You are now in sales.
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!
PetroAg87
AG
Are you a member of SPE? If so, they are sponsoring a hiring event on March 28th here in Houston. Find the Gulf Coast Section SPE page for details.

Alao, networking is THE key to finding a job. Several good networking groups in this town: Energy Job Search Team meets on Tuesdays at 10:00 at Chaplewood United Methodist. Between Jobs Ministry meets on Wednesdays at 8:00 at Northwest Bible Church in Spring. Reveille Club meets on Thursday mornings at 6:30 at Cafe Excel in The Galleria. And the Pay-It-Forward Networking group meets on Fridays at 8:30 at the Korean Presbytarian Church located just east of the I-10 Top Golf.
eeinhouston
BrazosDog02 said:

They had an online posting for months. I went in, he hired me, and all my buddies, and threw a ton of money at us. All the while having a stack of resumes with people far more qualified for the job.
I've been the hiring guy before and didn't do anything stupid like that. Who are all these hiring managers being so idiotic about their major function in life and why are they like that?
BrazosDog02
AG
Have you been the 'hiring guy' for a company after having worked there for 15 years, had a solid handle on your job, the companies goals, current employees skills, pay grades, and business development?

You shouldn't have to ask that question. Stupid? Hmmmm...
Rusty GCS
AG
"Oil and gas" is pretty generic.

Are you looking to go off shore, to a refinery, etc?
koadie
AG
Rusty GCS said:

"Oil and gas" is pretty generic.

Are you looking to go off shore, to a refinery, etc?
Felt like my OP was pretty specific in what my area of expertise is. Given my degree and work history, I didn't feel stating some of those things were necessary. However, because I don't do a lot with that industry, I'll keep that information in mind when posting about it in the future.

Thanks Rusty.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

littlebrotherag said:

This post should be stickied to the top of the Job Network Board. Excellent advice!
miller0926
AG
Quote:

Are you a member of SPE? If so, they are sponsoring a hiring event on March 28th here in Houston. Find the Gulf Coast Section SPE page for details.

Recent PETE grad here, I registered for this about a week ago so thanks for putting this on here. I've been googling Oil & Gas Career Fair for a year now and haven't found anything relevant.

With that said, do you know any details on what to expect? Is it going to be a career fair similar to A&M's with a whole bunch of O&G booths? And are the only employers attending those 11 or 12 at the bottom, because I liked to research all the companies before the Career Fair (nothing has changed on the details page since I registered). Any feedback is appreciated.

But seriously, thanks for putting this out there!
PetroAg87
AG
I believe that there will be a formal agenda for the job fair, with three speakers. I don't know if the plan is to visit with recruiters in between speakers, or before or after. But I would plan on being there by 10:00 AM. Also be prepared with a good 3 minute summary speech because you likely won't get more than that with any company recruiter, given how many people are going to be there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.