Job Network
Sponsored by

How to get into bookkeeping?

1,545 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OlArmy01
TxAggieGirl08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had our daughter last summer and I've been staying home with her ever since. We're looking to get her into a daycare or MDO program soon and would like to get back into working without it being full-time. We're in the Dallas area.

I graduated with my BBA in Accounting and MS in Management Information Systems (PPA) and went straight to work for EY for 4 years and then went to industry for 3 years. I also have my CPA. During the time I was in industry I also taught Managerial Accounting and Quickbooks at a local community college at night. I'd love to teach more online classes but those are hard to come by.

I'm thinking bookkeeping would be something I'd be interested in, but not sure where to start. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!
I Am A Critic
nm
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Try reaching out to firms in you area and inquire about any overflow work they might have
Habanero Guero
AG
Hahaha I opened this thread fully expecting you to ask how to be a bookie
combat wombat™
AG
I've just opened my own firm. When I left my previous employer I had a small book of business that I took with me. I let all of my potential referral sources know that I was now self-employed. ONE person helped me get my foot in the door with two people. One of those ended up being a huge client for me. The other I am still waiting to hear from.

So, I guess it's a matter of getting the word out and timing.

If you are not QuickBooks certified, I would suggest you get on that. TONS of small businesses use QuickBooks and QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online has a free ProAdvisor subscription level for accountants. QuickBooks ProAdvisor program will run you about $350-$500 annually but you get all of the software and training (CPE included) to get certified included in that price.

Oh, make a post on LinkedIn so all of your contacts are aware that you are doing this. They could send work your way.
fairrobh
AG
Reach out to large churches. Most would love to have someone with your credentials. You can leverage their MDO program and hours flexibility for a lower salary than for profit organizations. Then, when your family is school-aged, you are in a great position for full time finance leadership of said church.

This is the path my wife took - she's now 50, we're empty nesters, and she is part of the church's executive team.
atmpam07
AG
I recently launched my own firm. It is still very small and I have two clients. I'm currently applying for something with more hours but still bookkeeping. I never advertised and my jobs have all been through TexAgs. I am QBO certified which was asked by all of my clients. As someone said, word of mouth is important. I think picking a niche will also be helpful and writing content for that specific niche will really get you out there.
TxAggieGirl08
AG
Thank y'all so much! This is all really great advice! Can't wait to get started!
atmpam07
AG
Feel free to reach out with any questions! My email is pamelarwalton at gmail
Inca
AG
Curious for those who have started out on their own:

1. Are you offering tax services or strictly bookkeeping services?

2. What kind of rates are you charging? Hourly? Flat fee per month?

This is something I've thought about doing but I don't want to do income taxes (am comfortable with sales tax and could get up to speed on payroll tax.)
atmpam07
AG
I don't offer tax services. I do offer packages for a set monthly fee. Anything added (A/P, A/R, payroll, etc.) is an extra fee depending on volume.
angel_00
AG
We have similar backgrounds! I am older than you but did PPA, EY, industry then had our first kid and I have only worked part time doing contract work every since (we have 4 kids now). I taught Financial Accounting at our local jr college for 3 years in there too. I get all of my jobs through word of mouth and they have ranged from 3 month - 2 year gigs. I have covered maternity leaves for sr accountants and Acctg managers too. Currently I'm working 20-25 hours a week for a hedge fund that I worked at after leaving EY. My advice is network, network, network. Reach out to old colleagues, employers, friends, etc and let them know what you are doing. Good luck!!
OlArmy01
AG
Listen to PamATM. She's good people.

Wish I would have seen this message a few weeks ago. We just hired someone. My wife may need someone part time. Send me a message.

Chris
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.