Job Network
Sponsored by

Help -son not getting any offers

18,533 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JayAggie
SVaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son graduated in August with an economics degree. He moved back home to the San Francisco Bay Area in October and he''s been unsuccessfully looking for work.

He worked at a start up one summer updating their database. He enjoyed the work, but didn't like the size of the company.

He does not want to do sales.

He is regretting not getting an engineering degree.

He's been using the HireAggies site, but he says most jobs are in Texas. He'd prefer staying in California.

He's now just applying to places like Whole Foods/Target, so he can be making some money.

I'm frustrated that he didn't line up work before he graduated and it seems like he missed the boat.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Son, go to Texas and get a job. Get some experience under your belt and you can work your way back to California down the road. I'm proud of you.
a.froman
AG
Why in the hell would he prefer California? She better be hot.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I was sort of in the same boat after I graduated. I had no real job lined up but I really wanted to stay in Texas. I had a fresh degree with decent grades in Ag Economics and wanted to get into lending. I applied to around 100 jobs in Texas and got maybe 3 or 5 interviews. So, after sweating my ass off in a livestock mineral plant the summer after I graduated I started to look out of state and found a job in lending within weeks. Sometimes it takes leaving what's comfortable and taking a risk. It was the most frightening decision I ever made but I can also tell you it was one of the best things I've ever done.

Take that for what it's worth. I realize everyone is different. Good luck to your son.
SVaggie84
AG
My husband had cancer when my son was in high school, and they didn't have much quality time together. It's been good for both of them to spend time together. They've been making up lost time.

I think all of us wish he could get a decent job in the bay area.
histag10
AG
SVaggie84 said:

My husband had cancer when my son was in high school, and they didn't have much quality time together. It's been good for both of them to spend time together. They've been making up lost time.

I think all of us wish he could get a decent job in the bay area.

If his intention was always to get a job in the bay area specifically, why go to A&M and not a school that would have allowed him to better network in that area? The Aggie network is great, but when you are that focused on where you get a job, a more local school may have been more useful.
Ag13
AG
Stepping out of comfort zone will be the best thing that has ever happened to him professionally. And he presumably has friends in Dallas and Houston. Will be much easier to find a job in the Bay Area or wherever he wants if he has real work experience under his belt. Getting a job at Whole Foods or Target while living at home should be the least appealing thing ever to a young man with a college degree.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's also completely worthless on an application aside from, "I had a job."
powerbelly
AG
We are hiring financial analysts, but are in Dallas. We stopped hiring into our California office because it was too expensive. We are a SaaS company that moved most of our operation out of California a few years ago.

If he wants to chat he can email met at username at gmail dot com.

I can give him my pov for someone <10 years out of school.
DallasAggie0
Was in a similar situation when I graduated. No job lined up and couldn't find anything. After a little while I ended up waiting tables to make some money which also provided flexibility to interview whenever I wanted.

I was applying to everything I could and ended up getting a pretty good entry level gig off careerbuilder.com. Yea some of those websites actually work. I know recruiters get resumes off those so I'd suggest him trying that out if he hasn't already and maybe something will turn up.
Stive
AG
I'll probably sound like an old man yelling "get off my lawn" here, but:

If he's a recent college graduate and doesn't have a job then he doesn't want one bad enough, or more likely, doesn't NEED one bad enough. If he's living with parents (or they're covering his bills), he's got no financial incentive to take a job that might be slightly less appealing or perfect than he'd wish.

Starting life and a career sometimes comes with desperation, not desire. Pat snowflake on the head, tell him he needs to have his own place and pay his own bills by May 1 (and actually follow through with the deadline) and you'll be amazed at what career options he finds.
BrazosDog02
AG
a.froman said:

Because it's his home. I will say that NOW is the time for him to travel and get it out of his system. There will be a time when he won't want to travel and uproot his family.
Aggielandma12
AG
Amen brotha!

Stive said:

I'll probably sound like an old man yelling "get off my lawn" here, but:

If he's a recent college graduate and doesn't have a job then he doesn't want one bad enough, or more likely, doesn't NEED one bad enough. If he's living with parents (or they're covering his bills), he's got no financial incentive to take a job that might be slightly less appealing or perfect then he'd wish.

Starting life and a career sometimes comes with desperation, not desire. Pat snowflake on the head, tell him he needs to have his own place and pay his own bills by May 1 (and actually follow through with the deadline) and you'll be amazed at what career options he finds.
largelili
AG
My bank buddies say consumer lending is almost always hiring. He could also study to pass actuarial exams or work on his programming/analytical skills. There's thousands of economics jobs on indeed so I'm not sure what he's wanting to do.

Has he had his resume looked over? I had a buddy who had zero luck landing even one interview in his field. I rewrote his resume and three weeks later he had two interviews and a job offer. Your resume makes all the difference.
aa1101
AG
I'm located in Houston, but work for a Bay Area HQ company. I would love to pass his resume to some finance peers in California.
chjoak
AG
Gonna have a hard time finding good Aggie assistance with job leads outside of TX. They exist but will be much harder to come by. If he insists on staying in CA, have him use Indeed.com to search entry level jobs in his area. May also be beneficial to find some goof head hunters and/or temp agencies that he could use to find opportunities.
I Am A Critic
Quote:

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
He needs to be on here looking for a job, not you. I'd never consider anyone who has their mommy out doing their job for them.

You say he doesn't want to do sales yet he doesn't sound like he's in a position to be picky. He may want to reconsider. Every job has a sales component. You may not be selling a good or service to a customer but you have to sell your ideas and skills to people inside and outside of your company. You have to learn how at some point.

Complaint Investigator
AG
My company has their head office in Santa Clara. Post an email.
SVaggie84
AG
Not trying to get a job for him. Trying to figure out if he needs to be looking in Texas.

I'm in a rock and a hard place. It's the happiest I've seen my husband since he had cancer. My son seems happier now than when he was in college.

I'm trying to figure out when we need to be tougher about the job hunt.

How long is reasonable for looking for a job after college? Why isn't he even getting interviews? He's been home for 3 months with only 2 interviews at some strange insurance place and another looked like a pyramid scheme.

He's been to multpile job fairs. One was a high tech one that only wanted engineers and the other ones were job's like retail and the police department.

I'm beginning to think he's going to have to go to Texas, but not looking forward to that.
histag10
AG
SVaggie84 said:

Not trying to get a job for him. Trying to figure out if he needs to be looking in Texas.

I'm in a rock and a hard place. It's the happiest I've seen my husband since he had cancer. My son seems happier now than when he was in college.

I'm trying to figure out when we need to be tougher about the job hunt.

How long is reasonable for looking for a job after college? Why isn't he even getting interviews? He's been home for 3 months with only 2 interviews at some strange insurance place and another looked like a pyramid scheme.

He's been to multpile job fairs. One was a high tech one that only wanted engineers and the other ones were job's like retail and the police department.

I'm beginning to think he's going to have to go to Texas, but not looking forward to that.

Ideally, people have a job lined up before they graduate. It shouldn't take him long at all to find an entry level job. He may be using a generic resume, not wording things right on his resume, or applying for jobs he feels he deserves but is wildly unqualified for. The list of "why" can be a long one. Does he tailor each resume for each industry? How many resumes/applications is he putting out a day? I would hope at least 5-10 a day. Does he have a canned cover letter, or take the time to tailor it? Does he know what should be in a cover letter?

It took me less than 3 months after graduation to find a job in the height of the recession (end of 09 beginning of 10)with a history degree.
proudaggie02
AG
a.froman said:

Weather, beautiful scenery, a lot more things to do. But obviously California has major problems too.
Complaint Investigator
AG
If you post an email, I will contact him for his resume. I can refer internally with my company in Santa Clara. But in reality - he needs to be on here.

The Bay Area is beautiful. I'd love to live there.
Koko Chingo
AG
A couple of things,

SV, I think you are getting some pushback from the forum because you are reaching out and asking question that many of us would agree needs to be asked by your son and not by a parent. It comes across as lacking maturity and not showing initiative two important job skills -- also two big traits of people who cannot find a job.

That may not be the case with your son. That is the way it comes across on an internet forum, even though that may not have been your intent. It reads as if he cannot even ask for advice, how can he perform on a job.

With that out of the way, your son needs a plan and a strategy. At this point, write it out. Follow through after applying for jobs and take notes. Your initial plan and strategy may not be perfect. That is fine. It will serve as a baseline and provide insight on what to change - and more importantly, why you should make a change.

He should know what organizations he wants to work for and why. I ask the question in interviews why you want to work for this organization and specifically this department. I am baffled by how many people have not even Googled up any information. They give a generic response that says I just want a job; it is a huge turnoff.

Be careful in finding a job versus a career. In your early 20's you can overcome just about anything mistakes unemployment bad girlfriends.. So take your time and be intentional, so you can establish a strong foundation and build from there.

It is not necessarily that big of a deal your son has not found a job. The speed in which someone else got a job is irrelevant to your son's situation. So is the fact he is in California. The Aggie Network is global. If your son had asked the question I would image the responses would have had a more pleasant tone. Aggies genuinely want to help each other and will stick their necks out for another Aggie Except when they cannot ask themselves and mom or dad has to come in and do it for them.

Lastly, contact Paul Pausky. He handles career services for former students. He can help your son with planning, strategy, and developing tactics. Also ask him with help using CareerShift and how to more efficiently use the Aggie Network and LinkedIn.

Here is his contact info -- Paul Pausky -- Associate Director, Former Student Career Services -- ppausky78@aggienetwork.com
JoeOlson
AG
Where in Silicon Valley does he live now? If he's South Bay (San Jose, Los Gatos, etc), that could be one of the major problems. I find it shocking that he's not able to find work in San Francisco if he's in the city or East Bay ... I know that many of the startups are going through hiring freezes, but many companies can't come close to keeping up with the demand.

What industries is he targeting? What size of company?
beachfront71
AG
Quote:

He worked at a start up one summer updating their database. He enjoyed the work, but didn't like the size of the company.

He's now just applying to places like Whole Foods/Target, so he can be making some money.

Not sure what that means but he may have missed an opportunity to get some real world experience .. assuming it was last summer, he would be almost a year in with a startup..Needs to get some experience under his belt and company size would be the last thing I would worry about ..

If he liked it, get back in somewhere, they are probably paying better than target...Doors open w/ experience
SVaggie84
AG
Thank's for the helpful posts. I told him I posted here and he is very upset with me. Doesn't like me meddling.

We are in the South Bay, and I think that's part of the problem too.

It seems like using Indeed is going nowhere.

Lately, he's been sending emails through HiredAggies to Aggies working at companies he's interested in. I thought it was a good idea, so we will see where that leads.

My other question is whether he should be back in College Station working with the career center, or is that something he can do remotely.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

I'll tell him to post here too.

V8Aggie
AG
Rule of thumb... for every job he applies to that he's interested in he should also be applying to 5 that he isn't. If anything he can use the interview experience. Just because you interview doesn't mean you have to accept.
Joan Wilder
AG
What is it he wants to do? What kind of work does he want to do? I know what he doesn't want to do, but you haven't stated what his plan is.

If he wants to stay in California, what networking is he doing in California to make that happen? Whether one lives in Texas or not, one needs to take initiative to network in as many ways as possible. Is he networking with old start up colleagues? Or is he only using the online Aggie network?

Texags is garbage
It seems like he needs to get his thoughts organized. I know how discouraging it can be at times, but got to keep your head on swivel along with some enthusiasm. You never know when an opportunity is going to appear.

Definitely not the time to regret a degree. Find a way to sell what you have.

Don't overlook staffing agencies either. Some of them have more opportunities than you would think.
Zosima
Comment no longer necessary.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Add Glassdoor and LinkedIn to his searches.

Odd he doesn't want to do sales considering that a lot of Econ majors are salesman.

Has he considered starting an advanced degree in the meantime?
SVaggie84
AG
Thanks everyone.

One of his dream jobs is to work for an esports/gaming company. I think he wishes he had gone engineering to do that, but he's hoping he could get in on marketing, social media, financial analyst and then work into other areas.

Another dream is to open a gym with his friends, so he's interested in anything that helps him learn how to start a company.

He's interested in marketing, social media, financial analyst, business.

He's great at math, problem solving and he's an excellent writer.

Jeremysclone@gmail.com

The start up he worked at is dead and there aren't any leads with that.

He was hoping to get a job at another start up. A friend''s dad started it and told him he'd have a job if they got funding. However, the funding never came through.

He has picked up the job hunt since the funding fell through.
powerbelly
AG
I would start the gym and learn from doing.
Joan Wilder
AG
What networking is he doing besides a HireAggies website and his friend's dad? He's got to hustle - is he out at Bay Area events if he wants to stay there? Has he been to SF Aggie events?
SVaggie84
AG
He's been gone to about 4 or 5 job fairs. A church has a job ministry with networking opportunities. That's been the most helpful.

He's active in a church young adult group, and he's reaching out to that group.

He's been messaging lots of old high school friends to see if they can help, but most of his friends are still in college.

He's been to one Aggie football watching party.

He's done much more networking than I've ever done. I got my first job at a career fair at A&M. Then got my next job at a career fair. Worked for 10 years, then quit. Even my husband hasn't had to do too much.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.