Job Network
Sponsored by

Unskilled labor - jobs for someone who has failed at life so far

5,212 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JABQ04
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for help locating an organization or company that will give an opportunity to an able-bodied, relatively intelligent person who lacks both skills and discipline.

I've got a family member who has struggled with drug abuse most of his teen and adult life. He went to college and did alright there for a couple years before his parents pulled him out after his first DWI and subsequent drug test that found 7 different drugs in his system at the time of arrest. This was about 12 years ago when he was 20. Since then he has probably held between 20 and 40 different low-skilled or unskilled jobs and has been fired from all of them because he would miss work due to his drug problem or various arrests from warrants either directly or tangentially related to his drug, transportation, and housing problems.

He hasn't ever had issues with violence and is generally a nice guy, but just can't ever seem to get over the hump. He'll get a new job and do well at it for a couple months but then something will happen. Either he'll miss work due to drug use, get arrested for a warrant on an unpaid ticket, get his car towed and not be able to pay to get it out of impound, get evicted from his apartment for nonpayment, etc.... Then he'll be fired, hit rock bottom, and have to start over again. At age 32 I'm not sure how much of this he has left in him before he completely gives up. The older he gets the worse his resume looks and the harder it is for him to find employment.

The reason I'm asking for advice now is that for the first time in his life he is voluntarily in legitimate long-term rehab and will emerge from that rehab sober at least at first. Hopefully if he can come out of there with a clear head and finally feel a sense of self-worth by contributing at a decent job he can start the long road to becoming a productive member of society.

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations you could provide to either specific companies or organizations in a position to help people like him get on their feet. Something with an opportunity to grow and learn a real skill would be ideal. I would even be willing to foot the bill for regular drug tests if that were a condition of employment.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I got nothing, but good bull trying to help.
Roy coy
AG
Where is he located?
O.G.
I can't offer him a job but I know where you/he might get pointed in the right direction.

Email me: hossfly308 at hotmail dot com
cevans_40
AG
Most golf courses are looking for laborers that are reliable. If can show up everyday, then he can keep a job. Its physically hard work sometimes but its something.
Vernada
AG
too bad offshore O&G is in bad shape right now - sounds perfect for him.

I worked with a lot of guys that were horrible onshore people but great offshore hands.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Find him a ranch to work on out in far West texas. One that's 75-100 miles from the closest gas station. He will stay dried out, out there.
joshpettett
AG
location?
birddog7000
AG
Came here to post ranch work, but someone beat me to it. I would suggest somewhere close to home though, he sounds like he needs some support. Hope he gets it figured out.
AgLA06
AG
I'm not going to lie, his history is going to be difficult to overcome.

My only suggestion is to get him trained in some kind of skilled labor. Maybe look into UpStart Houston with the Greater Houston Partnership.
E
AG
Thanks for sharing the UpSkillHouston.org, I am sending it to my roommate.

My roommate (renter) has fallen onto hard times and is in desperate need of a job. He hasnt had a drug problem or gotten in trouble with the law, but just cant seem to find a job. He had been a bartender at Auburn forever and moved back to Houston to find a job that he can make a career out of but was only able to find a bartending gig and then a sales job for a liqour distributor but was let go last summer.

Only reason why I havent kicked him out yet is because Ive know him since we were 14 and he's pretty much family. He wants to start a career in something blue collar, but is too broke to take classes anywhere or get a certificate for a skill. I do make him do work around the house and backyard to earn his keep.
GE
AG
Roy coy said:

Where is he located?
Located in Houston.
GE
AG
Thanks for all the advice. The Upskill thing sounds like it could be good for him.

SAWgunner - I'll be sending you an email this afternoon.
FC12
Moving time is quickly approaching. Have him hire
On with a moving company and let him prove himself. If he is good and can stay on the right track, he can lead a team.
rwv2055
AG
Dose he have a car? Is he willing to commute to Anahuac?
Science Denier
AG
There are a lot of warehouse jobs and moving company jobs available. Pay is around $15/hour. If he can pass a background check, he can get work.

It's definitely hard work, but with overtime, you can get $50k/year or more.

Also, while he's working, I would suggest going to a trade school to learn something like welding. Welders can make a lot of money. Same for electricians.
Goldie Wilson
Is driving for Uber/Lyft an option? Would provide him somewhat steady pay but also allow for some flexibility.
bonfarr
AG
Does he have arrests for theft or burglary like many drug addicts? If so that will limit the types of jobs he can get.

If I was a moving company I would never employ someone with a drug/dui history that also has a history of theft sin e that person would be put in a position of stealing a customer's stuff.
bonfarr
AG
Dan 07 said:

Is driving for Uber/Lyft an option? Would provide him somewhat steady pay but also allow for some flexibility.

He has a history of dwi and drug abuse I would hope not.
HC
How about applying at a rehab center? Most of the folks working there have struggled with addiction and staying around other sober workers might help. It could also be beneficial to work at a rehab becaise you see the constant flow of people entering rehab. Maybe that will help trigger the idea that he would rather not have to be a patient again. Good luck!
bmks270
AG
He needs a permanent behavior change to get different results in the future. I can't help with a job, but I can recommend some books that may be helpful. He needs to set his number 1 focus to be personal change and everything else will be made easier.

Does he read, has he ever joined church community for support?

Wish I could be more help than just naming some helpful books but I have read all of these books and I read quite a lot of behavior / personal development, here is what I would recommend and why. These are actionable books, not just pie in the sky self help. Now overcoming a drug addiction will take a lot more than just some reading, but when the drugs are managed hopefully he, or anyone reading this will find these resources helpful.

Rewire: Change Your Brain to Break Bad Habits, Overcome Addictions, Conquer Self-Destructive Behavior
(Specifically dedicated to overcoming self destructive behavior. 100% science based, explains root causes of different self destructive behaviors such as trauma, self esteem, etc. and gives actionable methods to overcome it based on scientific studies and experience)

Interview Like a Boss
(My favorite job search book. Has good advice for spotty resume and building confidence too)

The Willpower Instinct
(Science of willpower and actionable ways to improve self control, everyone should read this book)

The Miracle Morning
(Positive uplifting book, actionable material, good perspectives on life and purpose)

Mini-Habits
(One of the most approachable books on developing lasting habits)

Also, two sub-reddits I recently found that may be helpful. These are like a combination of the books "mini-habits" and "the willpower instinct" above. Short reading and can get working immediately:

the Xeffect:

Explained here: https://www.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1x99m6/im_a_piece_of_****_no_more_games_no_more_lies_no/cf9dz72/
Sub-reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/theXeffect/

non-zero day:

Explained here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NonZeroDay/wiki/the_four_pillars
sub-reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NonZeroDay/

HollywoodBQ
AG
Reminds me of my little brother except that his vice is alcohol.
One of his friends hired him to work the counter at a pizza place next to his favorite bar.

Very nice of you to help out but, unless they're really serious about making a life change, the future result probably won't be much different. The only reason my brother isn't homeless is that our mother loves him too much to kick him out on the street where he belongs.
JABQ04
AG
Any thought to a contract company at a refinery? Generally doesn't require much to get into one as a laborer, scaffold builder etc. If he can get a TWIC he should be good to go. He can do pretty well at one of those if he sticks it out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.