Job Network
Sponsored by

Is it wise to transfer into Mays?

1,523 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiewhoop1
aggiewhoop1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 3.57 in economics, and will probably have a 3.7 after this semester. I have all the requirements to get into Mays. I am a sophomore, and will be going into my junior year next fall. The problem is, I will have 21 out of 33 credit hours of economics taken after this summer. Is it too late? I thought I wanted to go to law school, but I'm becoming interested in finance. I really wanted to graduate in 4 years. I also could just graduate with a high GPA in econ, and go a joint mba/jd program somewhere. But that will take around 4 years. I also could say screw it and try to double major since I've already gotten way passed an econ minor. Thoughts?

Related to jobs because I want to be able to make the most money possible.
Old Buffalo
AG
I think you should sit down and plan what you want to do, not just say "make the most money possible."

I know plenty of economics majors that have great jobs now, and I know plenty of finance majors that are doing nothing productive with their degree.

I'd also advise against a MBA/JD. Pick one or the other.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I transferred to Mays about 15 years ago, with plans to get a BBA then go to med school. I took a year to work at Big 4 firm doing consulting work and have been here ever since. I got an Info degree which was MIS, I think now it's called ISYS. Good career, great money and benefits. The hours and travel can be a grind though.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also I advise against an MBA/JD. You'll spend another 3.5 years in school, wrack up 100k in debt, and sure you might get out making 165k at AMLAW top 100 firm working 70+ hours a week. However you better do well in Law school , those jobs are the easiest to come by.
hangman
You really need to look at the employment rate and the ability to get into the job you want out of school. One extra year now is nothing when your degree could set you up for the rest of your life. If you think you want to go economics though do that and get the job you think you want. If you don't like it one year MSF programs exist as well as MBA programs and they will allow you to reset your career path.
Younger2010
I was a finance major. Graduated in 2010. I am not sure what you are studying as an ECON major but I would suggest you stick to your current path. All entry level finances jobs see ECON/FINC as the same. You will take very little from your learnings at a&m to the actual job force. All companies operate differently and value different types of analysis. I learned more in my first year working for FEDEX about finance then I did at Mays in 4.
thaed137
AG
I would disagree some with above. Being part of the business school gives you some benefit when it comes to internships/job fairs/connections etc that Econ majors I know missed out for being in a different school. Also, at least at the places I have worked they viewed FINC > ECON because of the perception of more exposure to the number/math side of it, true or not.
Charlie Murphy
Also disagree. You'll want Finance over Econ. Econ grad here.
GE
AG
aggiewhoop1 said:

I have a 3.57 in economics, and will probably have a 3.7 after this semester. I have all the requirements to get into Mays. I am a sophomore, and will be going into my junior year next fall. The problem is, I will have 21 out of 33 credit hours of economics taken after this summer. Is it too late? I thought I wanted to go to law school, but I'm becoming interested in finance. I really wanted to graduate in 4 years. I also could just graduate with a high GPA in econ, and go a joint mba/jd program somewhere. But that will take around 4 years. I also could say screw it and try to double major since I've already gotten way passed an econ minor. Thoughts?

Related to jobs because I want to be able to make the most money possible.
Go to Mays and see if you can make it into one of the professional programs. Lot of cool opportunities there.
aggiewhoop1
AG
Not to derail thread, but i'll have 69 hours so I can't transfer anyways
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.