Job Network
Sponsored by

Real Estate Career/Advice

1,530 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mbyrd
DuckDown2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I will be finished with my MBA in about a year and am still unsure of what the next step in my career will be. I am currently located in Virginia, but will likely be moving back to College Station in mid to late 2018.

I continually come back to the idea of pursuing real estate. I am not set on commercial or residential necessarily, and realize they are both challenging and different in many ways. I am very self-motivated, competitive, people-oriented, and committed, and I feel that investing hard work and time into real estate will pay dividends in the future. If I were to take this step, I would intend on running my own brokerage one day.

I would love to get some thoughts or advice from anyone who has experience in the industry.

Thanks in Advance & Gig'Em.
DallasAggie0
If you have an MBA then just go commercial. Start out as an analyst at a commercial firm and just start learning as much as you can.
skippytimmy
AG
DallasAggie0 said:

If you have an MBA then just go commercial. Start out as an analyst at a commercial firm and just start learning as much as you can.

I would also suggest you do not do it in college station.

I am in RE in Dallas. PM me, and I would be happy to speak with you.

752bro4
AG
DallasAggie0 said:

This 100x over.

Also get out of CS. Dallas, Houston, Austin, or even San Antonio if you have to.

I would look at the following to start as an analyst:
HFF or Eastdil - investment sales route, lots of good analyst work to start there
Invesco
MetLife, Prudential, Goldman, JPMC, or other big insurance/financial firms/lenders
Bank of Texas, Frost, or Amegy, or other good sized regional banks/lenders
CBRE, JLL, Cushman, Hines, Transwestern to be an analyst for a property firm
DuckDown2013
AG
Thanks for the info-/suggestions!

Would love additional info on what they typical analyst position looks like in your experience/opinion. Did any of you serve as an analyst? If so, for how long? And what was your next position/job after serving as an analyst?

skippytimmy
AG
752bro4 said:

DallasAggie0 said:

This 100x over.

Also get out of CS. Dallas, Houston, Austin, or even San Antonio if you have to.

I would look at the following to start as an analyst:
HFF or Eastdil - investment sales route, lots of good analyst work to start there
Invesco
MetLife, Prudential, Goldman, JPMC, or other big insurance/financial firms/lenders
Bank of Texas, Frost, or Amegy, or other good sized regional banks/lenders
CBRE, JLL, Cushman, Hines, Transwestern to be an analyst for a property firm

These are mostly good recommendations (in my opinion).

I would add that you could also go the route of going to work for the Real Estate groups within the large accounting / consulting firms. You can gain similar analytical skills, and be exposed to a plethora of real estate types and functions.

When I finished my MBA, I worked for the real estate groups at KPMG and then PWC.

In hindsight, I wish I would have tried for HFF. They are a great group.

skippytimmy
AG
DuckDown - feel free to PM me, and I we can set up a time to discuss over the phone. Happy to help an Ag.
DallasAggie0
DuckDown2013 said:

Thanks for the info-/suggestions!

Would love additional info on what they typical analyst position looks like in your experience/opinion. Did any of you serve as an analyst? If so, for how long? And what was your next position/job after serving as an analyst?

I didn't come out of school with near the academic prowess you will have, but I got picked up as a commercial appraiser and now work in a specialized field for a valuation and transaction consulting firm.

I have interviewed and know people at the big commercial real estate firms and most of them will say the same thing. At first it's long hours for pretty average pay. A lot will work themselves into sales/brokerage positions.
mbyrd
I would suggest getting your foot in the door first before worrying about the next step or the next position. I've been in the real estate industry (multifamily lending) for 15-years and the majority of those fresh out of college start as an analyst and learn the ropes from there. It's an industry where you learn by doing, being thrown into the fire so to speak.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.