Job Network
Sponsored by

Potentially looking for a job

2,967 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BrazosDog02
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am about to hit the 5 year mark in my career and am wanting to take a look at what is out there.

About me: I have a bachelor's and master's in Civil/Structural from A&M. I will likely have my PE this year (first time taking it). I will have 5 years experience this year. All of my work has been in O&G, the vast majority of which has been on offshore projects. I also have minor experience with downstream onshore. Most offshore experience is greenfield but I also have some brownfield experience. I have worked on large offshore projects and have a wide range of experience, mostly on topsides with a small amount of experience with jackets. Most recently, I am working with pre-service (lift, loadout, tow) design of topsides primary steel.

Just curious if anyone is looking for/knows anyone looking for O&G structural engineers.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'd prefer to stay in the Houston area if possible.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BowSowy said:

Just curious if anyone is looking for/knows anyone looking for O&G structural engineers.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'd prefer to stay in the Houston area if possible.
This is the part that always cracks me up... I'm looking for advancement opportunities but, I'm geographically restricted.

If you want to move up, want the next challenge, you're going to have to go to where the work is.
  • These days, I'd ask yourself, where do you think the next round of projects is going to happen now that oil is back above $50/bbl?
  • Secondly, I'd ask yourself, what firms do you think will be well positioned to win those contracts?
Once you know the answers to those two questions, you know where to start looking.

The third question you need to ask yourself is, what if I get the job? How long does it last and what's my next move after that? Is a 2 year stint in Nigeria with a salary increase and good experience worthwhile?

Sorry I don't have better answers for you but hopefully these questions will help you figure out what the right answer is for you.
Chipotlemonger
AG
He said, "if possible."

That's not a restriction as you quickly labeled it. We're all allowed to have preferences without shutting out opportunities.
txaggie_08
AG
And it's O&G. Preference to stay in Houston isn't a huge barrier.
HollywoodBQ
AG
txaggie_08 said:

And it's O&G. Preference to stay in Houston isn't a huge barrier.
My old man did 30+ years with Fluor. O&G projects in Puerto Rico 2x, Alaska, Saudi Arabia 2x, Louisiana, etc. Turned down - Venezuela, South Africa, Iran and Egypt (thankfully on all of those). I always hoped he'd wind up stuck in an office in Sugar Land or Irvine but he never did for any length of time.

Best of luck to the OP but... your best opportunities might lie further afield than Beltway 8.

And good luck on the PE Exam. My wife passed it a number of years ago. Her father got in just under the wire in the early 1990s when you could still qualify on experience alone.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

He said, "if possible."

That's not a restriction as you quickly labeled it. We're all allowed to have preferences without shutting out opportunities.
If he thought enough to mention it in his post then, it is probably more than just a casual preference.

Probably more like - if I take a job outside of Houston, then I'm going to have some hard selling to do with the spouse, family, etc.

At some point, you gotta make the hard choice - residential preference or career advancement. It can be a very tough call. I almost got divorced over moving from Austin to Denver to allow my wife to be a SAHM while giving me more pay and better working conditions.

Good Luck!
Dwide Schrude
AG
O&G companies aren't quite as willing to send their people all over the globe as before. This isn't your old mans industry anymore.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Dwide Schrude said:

O&G companies aren't quite as willing to send their people all over the globe as before. This isn't your old mans industry anymore.
Definitely true. But, the cold harsh reality is that so many previously 3rd World nations have raised their talent pool to the level where American (the best) aren't able to command the premium that they used to from the 1930s through the 1990s.

As far as I know, O&G still comes out of the ground wherever they find it. They just don't need as many Americans overseas to bring it up as we used to.
BrazosDog02
AG
In my experience, we don't even need many Americans HERE to do it. My last company would let go of 20 year employees one day, and three days later foreign employees would show up for the exact same positions....same office and workstation even. Replace high cost Americans that work 50 hours a week with foreign employees for literally half the cost that can be worked 70 hours a week.

I think if I were the OP, I'd hang tight, do your research, look for work now and don't do jack until you have something solid secured. I don't know about engineers, but 5 years experience in my field is almost as good as a new hire out of college. And your competition is not just your peers. Be smart about it and good luck to you.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Agree completely. Unless we're able to get a handle on the H-1B visa program and some of the other programs that employers take advantage of.

I was in India last week and saw a story on the news there about the fact that the average American worker earns $55K/yr but the average Indian in the USA on a work visa earns $104K/yr. What the story obviously didn't say is that those Indians are usually replacing Americans who would be paid much more. In fact, I just spoke to an Indian guy last week who is moving from Bangalore to Dallas for $140K/yr. An American with his experience would probably be worth at least $180K/yr.
AgLA06
AG
I really like what you often bring to the table on the job board, but I think you're off the mark on this. He isn't unemployed and unwilling to move to feed his family. He isn't dissatisfied with his job and unwilling to do anything but *****. He's simply at a point in his professional career where he feels there might be an opportunity to promote his tenure milestone with two degrees and good experience to see if anyone needs him more that would be convenient for him.

As someone said, this isn't your dad's or your industry anymore. There are plenty of people that priorities their family as much as their job. Doesn't mean they can't be successful. It also doesn't mean that while they're willing to hoar themselves out for a check, they have to also involve their family in the muck either.

Personally, I work to live instead of live to work. I'm not rich, but I've also done pretty well for my family. And I'm damn glad I get see my extended family at family dinner on Sundays and can take care of my brother's dog when he's out of town.

And while plenty of people that choose to hide from their family or wife at work may look down on the fact that I enjoy cooking dinner or taking my little girl to the park after work now and then, it doesn't matter. Because I still make them look bad at work in 2/3rds the time and my management makes it clear that I'm valued.

I do the same every so often. Sometimes there's a good opportunity and sometimes my current job is the clear choice, but to fault a guy for looking just doesn't make sense.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

I do the same every so often. Sometimes there's a good opportunity and sometimes my current job is the clear choice, but to fault a guy for looking just doesn't make sense.
Thanks for the compliments. I would never fault anybody for looking. Heck, that's really the only way to get ahead these days. Your employer typically never appreciates your personal growth as much as a new potential employer will. I once had to give a guy a raise from $26K/yr to $86K/yr because he had been with the company 10 years and the previous management had been taking advantage of him big time. He had grown by leaps and bounds during that 10 year period. And, he was worth far more than the guy who we were paying $140K but... the guy making $140K had made the right moves and had negotiated well at every turn.

How about this, the mention of looking but not wanting to move just struck the wrong chord with me. Often times, people have more to offer, are capable of taking bigger roles and are ready to take a new opportunity but, they geographically limit themselves because of family or convenience/familiarity. In all seriousness, I've known folks who wouldn't move to Colorado from Texas because they couldn't get as good deals at the supermarket as they did at HEB. As if they didn't have grocery stores with sales in Colorado.

I said nothing about not wanting to spend time at home with your nuclear family. Heck, family is what it's all about. Moving somewhere else doesn't mean that you're going to be working on an offshore oil platform and only see your kids every 30 days or something. In fact, from the OPs description, it sounds like he'll be driving a desk wherever he winds up which is a lot different than being on the job site running a concrete pour everyday.

Personally, I've changed jobs and moved a few times explicitly so that I could spend more time with my nuclear family. Those moves took me further away from my extended family but, hey, they have air travel. However, living away from extended family, it is you who has to make the effort because your extended family is never going to come visit you unless you happen to move to Orlando and they are already going to Disney World twice a year anyway.

My original post could also probably be an overreaction to some of what I've seen with recent grads who believe that working in Oil & Gas means continuous employment in a cubicle off the Katy Freeway. Long story but let's say that a recent grad is working in West Africa and his girlfriend was very disappointed because she expected he was going to just make megabucks and they could live happily ever after on the West Side of Houston. Who knew they even had oil in West Africa? I thought it was all in Houston j/k

And feel free to tell me that I'm old, my dad is even older, I don't know what I'm talking about, etc. but... I watched my dad have a great 30+ year career with Fluor and the majority of that was in Oil & Gas Construction which is EXACTLY what the OP said he does. I realize there's no Trans Alaska Pipeline being built today, I realize there's no Sadaf or Kemya Plants being built today and Jubail II appears to be slow to takeoff. I also realize that the skill level of foreign Engineers has improved greatly and the world doesn't need as many Americans and even fewer overseas. But, the basic facts of O&G construction don't change. In my opinion, they are:

0. Oil and Gas is found everywhere and anywhere. Undisputed Fact. It's True. (my best President Trump impression)
1. You have to go where the work is. That might mean across town or across the world.
2. That work might not be geographically where you would like it to be. Heck, I'd love to run a Data Center in Malibu, California. AFAIK, the only one that meets my criteria is at Pepperdine University so... best of luck to me.
3. At some point, you will have to decide whether the continued well being of your nuclear family matters more to you than the feelings of your extended family. No matter where you live, they're going to complain that you don't visit enough.
4. At some point, you will have to decide if your personal career growth is worth the hassle of inconveniencing your nuclear family and your extended family. Susie is up for Varsity Cheerleader next year but, gigantic big company is offering $50K/yr more plus increased responsibility and exposure to the hot new developments in the field if you're willing to move to Timbuktu. You can bring home a wage and take care of your family but, are you making yourself more valuable to your current and prospective employers or, are you just phoning it in, and hoping you don't get laid off. If you're just phoning it in, you should probably start now - figuring out what you're going to do after you get laid off.
5. Would your nuclear family benefit from a re-location? Maybe 2 years in snow country would be nice. Maybe 3 years in West Africa would be life changing in a positive way. Who knows? Maybe your kids would learn how to speak French or something.

The best thing here is that since the OP is employed, there's no rush to decide. On the other hand, I've got a buddy of mine who has been out of work from his job on Smith Street for about 15 months now. He's now praying that he'll get an O&G job in Kentucky or Pennsylvania, or wherever else he can find an interview.
hangman
I've met several Indians that have taken jobs Americans would gladly do, and for the same pay. Through anecdotal evidence I've heard a lot of companies will post the job on an obscure job board with unrealistic requirements so they can claim they tried to look for an American candidate. It's a complete assault on the American labor market and Trump should ban it. Foreigners also use U.S. grad programs to qualify for Visas and then get into a cush renewal process. I'll end my unemploymed engineer rant now.
HollywoodBQ
AG
hangman said:

I've met several Indians that have taken jobs Americans would gladly do, and for the same pay. Through anecdotal evidence I've heard a lot of companies will post the job on an obscure job board with unrealistic requirements so they can claim they tried to look for an American candidate. It's a complete assault on the American labor market and Trump should ban it. Foreigners also use U.S. grad programs to qualify for Visas and then get into a cush renewal process. I'll end my unemploymed engineer rant now.
When I was working for the State of Texas in Austin, I used to see these sham job postings every time we had an African or South Asian Engineer going for their Green Card. They'd post the job for 1 week with very specific requirements and experience and then close it, say this was the only applicant and the guy's Green Card application would sail on through.
Vernada
AG
OP is currently employed in O&G with sub 5 years experience and is looking to jump ship?

What am I missing here?

I can't tell you how many 10+ year friends i have that been looking 6+ months.
AgLA06
AG
Vernada said:

OP is currently employed in O&G with sub 5 years experience and is looking to jump ship?

What am I missing here?

I can't tell you how many 10+ year friends i have that been looking 6+ months.

How many of those friends have the specific experience, two degrees, and are employed like he is?
BrazosDog02
AG
Bunches of them. And in Houston....On top of those you have the unemployed ones with the same spec sheet plus a lot more experience. That's why I suggested finding the job now when you have the luxury. He can be as picky as he wants. I known people over 11 years in the industry that literally never left the city of Houston. It's 2017... You don't need to go to Brazil.....You can do it from the workstation here. It's also 2017 and people value family time way more than a job. We had people that left at 5 and people that worked 60 hours. He just has to find the employer that values what he values....They are out there. He's making a solid choice if it works for him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.