Job Network
Sponsored by

Accounting Resume - Experienced Question

1,692 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always had the traditional resume look - work history in chronological order with my skills/accomplishments for each position. Is that still the best format? I've seen more resumes that list out accomplishments and then work history as a separate category. Folks that have experience with a lot of resumes, which way is ideal? I'm trying to land an accounting manager position...

If y'all have no idea what I'm talking about, let me know so I can provide more details.
zooguy96
I used a guy from here for my wife's resume. James Shelley. He did an excellent job. She's already gotten an interview (probably because of the resume). You get what you pay for. If you do your own resume, expect those results. I'll have him do mine when I can save up some more $$ (I'm a teacher and lolpoor).
JamesPShelley
Duck Patrol said:

I've always had the traditional resume look - work history in chronological order with my skills/accomplishments for each position. Is that still the best format? I've seen more resumes that list out accomplishments and then work history as a separate category. Folks that have experience with a lot of resumes, which way is ideal? I'm trying to land an accounting manager position...

If y'all have no idea what I'm talking about, let me know so I can provide more details.
Hey, Zoo, I'm that guy! Glad to hear your wife landed the interview. The document did its job.

Duck... chronological is the manner I'd recommend identifying those events. While tasks and functions are an important component of the resume, the results and accomplishments far more are valued. Tasks and functions begin reading like a job description, whereas the results and accomplishments are what a recipient is going to want replicated on their end. Thus, you want the language of the bullet points to align with the requirements and qualifications, and tasks and functions, language of the job announcement. You want to make it as quick and easy for the recipient to qualify you for their opportunity. Often I remind my clients of the "15 to 20 seconds" eyes may remain glued to your resume. The objective, or strategy, is to employ layout design and language that compels the recipient to further delve into the document, qualifying you for their opportunity... establishing a connection and, hopefully, leading to an invitation for an interview.
Sea Gull
AG
James, can you email me at aggieduckpatrol@gmail.com? I'd like to get your rates and/or feedback. I'm looking for a very specific job niche and want to make sure my resume is maximized...
BeastmodeAg
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Duck Patrol said:

Hey, Zoo, I'm that guy! Glad to hear your wife landed the interview. The document did its job.

Duck... chronological is the manner I'd recommend identifying those events. While tasks and functions are an important component of the resume, the results and accomplishments far more are valued. Tasks and functions begin reading like a job description, whereas the results and accomplishments are what a recipient is going to want replicated on their end. Thus, you want the language of the bullet points to align with the requirements and qualifications, and tasks and functions, language of the job announcement. You want to make it as quick and easy for the recipient to qualify you for their opportunity. Often I remind my clients of the "15 to 20 seconds" eyes may remain glued to your resume. The objective, or strategy, is to employ layout design and language that compels the recipient to further delve into the document, qualifying you for their opportunity... establishing a connection and, hopefully, leading to an invitation for an interview.

Sorry to hijack but Shelly can I email you?
JamesPShelley
BeastmodeAg said:

JamesPShelley said:

Duck Patrol said:

Sorry to hijack but Shelly can I email you?
Of course you may contact/email me. Permission granted.
bbb78
AG
With the rise of Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) ...Google it.... many times a resume is never seen by a human because it did not "score" high enough against the ATS algorithm.

So now resumes are being tweaked to get past the ATS by inserting keywords and phrases to match the context of the job description.

If you go to a job fair or can get an inside contact, a traditional resume is still probably OK. If you are applying online, beware of the ATS.

Check out this site...

https://www.jobscan.co/

I'm also leery of the jobs posted on job sites that let you apply through their site. If possible see if it's on the company career site and apply there.
JamesPShelley
bbb78 said:

With the rise of Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) ...Google it.... many times a resume is never seen by a human because it did not "score" high enough against the ATS algorithm.

So now resumes are being tweaked to get past the ATS by inserting keywords and phrases to match the context of the job description.

If you go to a job fair or can get an inside contact, a traditional resume is still probably OK. If you are applying online, beware of the ATS.

Check out this site...

https://www.jobscan.co/

I'm also leery of the jobs posted on job sites that let you apply through their site. If possible see if it's on the company career site and apply there.

I agree with you 100%. However, the traditional resume, as we know it, is going nowhere. Thus, it is important to keep up with, and embrace, advancing technology. Resumes daily are being scanned, in addition to being processed via the online application process, and it's all being fed to an algorithm. Paper or plastic. Tomato tamatoe.

You don't necessarily just want to "get past" the ATS... you want to marry it. You want that software cozying right up to your document. Think Marvin Gaye.

The algorithm process can be encouraged in your favor.

Furlock Bones
AG
I've gotten 2 jobs through headhunters. I've also spoken with a few headhunters and HR departments.

All I can really say is that never get offended if someone tells your resume needs a lot work. They all think they know best and oftentimes completely contradict each other.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.