Job Network
Sponsored by

2013 Industrial Distribution grad with O&G field engineering (SLB) experience

975 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by daneag
CorpsAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy all,

Felt I might add my voice to the O&G chorus here eagerly awaiting an increase in activity levels. I've been reading posts on this board for several months now and respect the O&G experience I have seen many of the members exhibit. Sounds like most people here have been through several cycles and have the wisdom that comes from making it through. After dodging several rounds of layoffs, I was finally let go several months ago due to activity levels declining (early 2016).

I graduated a few years ago and went to work with Schlumberger as a field engineer in wireline. Worked briefly in the Middle East, then settled in Midland, TX where I worked both in Open & Cased hole wireline as well as microseismic monitoring for multistage fracs. Great exposure to all manner of well conditions both on the drilling and production side, at least as far as wireline goes. When I was let go I had been with SLB close to 2 years.

Our situation in Midland is stable, with my wife working for a large independent E&P company, but it has been very challenging finding work and I am hoping some of you seasoned guys and girls might have some advice concerning our situation.

I'm looking for a job out of the field if possible since we are starting to consider beginning a family, and with my degree in Industrial Distribution (basically Supply Chain Engineering) and broad upstream exposure, I feel confident I can score a job for an E&P somewhere in Midland. I of course am aware that our industry is still recovering and that now is not a time to be asking for much (job out of the field, working for an E&P, etc.), but I'd like to know if what I'm looking for seems unreasonable.

TL;DR -- Young professional with marketable skills & experience seeks advice from O&G veterans.
ThreeFive
AG
What role do you envision having with an E&P company? It will be pretty tough to land a job with an E&P company because there are so many PETE guys out there with similar experience that you'll be competing with. In my opinion, you'd have more success landing a job with a service company.

Have you considered the land side? Certainly some opportunities there.
CorpsAg13
AG
In complete agreement ThreeFive.

I've had limited success tracking down and interviewing for Supply Chain jobs with mid-to-large size E&Ps, but as you mentioned, there's a large overburden of more experienced hands out there, whether they are PETEs or people with Supply Chain experience at larger E&Ps from Houston or Denver. I am completely open to working in related fields like land, minerals, etc. and even have a little experience doing that from 2 internships at a small E&P in college.

When you say "land opportunities" are you seeing or hearing of availability at places that would be open to someone with no direct experience? I have heard that Surface Land work is easier to get started in, especially if you don't have a degree that relates directly (like a PLM degree from Texas Tech for instance)
Rusty GCS
AG
When I wanted in the industry I actually took a job with a construction contractor as a firewatch making $15/hr and then let my work ethic do the rest. It was less than 3 years that I was hired directly by a plant at a competitive salary. (That $15 was doubled in less than 2 months for the record)

It's not the easy way but since when have Aggies been scared of a little sweat and dirt

So my suggestion is if you can't find what you want, get your foot in the door anyway you can and then work your way up. You'll actually learn a lot of valuable field experience your peers will never have.
daneag
AG
I've got a distributor in Midland that is looking for someone to help get a supply house started. They are a drilling supply house but want to get into the completion side as well. Plugs, frac balls, wireline adaptor kits, things like that. Shoot me a resume. dane.elliott@nexgenoiltools.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.