Job Network
Sponsored by

Seeking Austin Summer Intern Position - Finance/Insurance/Real Estate

1,702 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by zaque1213
12thMan86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm using my dad's TexAgs to post this.

I'm seeking a full or part-time Summer 2017 position in the Finance, Insurance, or Real Estate industry. I'm a Sophomore Economics major (started at Blinn) with plans to enroll in the 5-year Bach of Science/Master of Science program next Fall. I have outstanding grades in all of my business related classes, and seem to excel in Econ (highest average in department Fall 2015). I'm also considering applying to the Masters or Real Estate program when my Econ degree is complete.

My dad has many friends in the Insurance and Commercial Real Estate world, but few are in Austin, These fields seem interesting as I'm a numbers/stats guy, and enjoy the deal making aspect of these businesses. My hope is that I can find summer employment in those fields over the next few years, which will allow me to get a better feel for these businesses.

If you have an opportunity available, or know of one, please let me know. I can send you my resume upon request.

Thanks !
PTXaggie08
AG
I don't have any internship help, but I will share what I know.

I graduated in '08 with a B.S. Economics and I have been working in commercial real estate my whole career. I started with development consulting, but I have actually transitioned to internal corporate real estate after a couple years. I am currently the head of real estate for an equipment company with around 40 locations. (I am located in Dallas)

Last year I was out of work for a short stint, and because my folks live in Austin, I flirted with the idea of moving down there. The problem? I could not find any real estate related gigs outside of residential development or commercial brokerage. (neither of which I am interested or qualified)

I don't say this to discourage you from Austin, but in my opinion, there are better opportunities for a real estate related career in the other metropolitan areas of Texas. My speculation is that the vast number of tech companies (which don't have a large real estate investment) has kept the number of positions down from the other areas in the state.

On another note, looking for an internship is a great idea. You would learn a great deal even as a brokerage intern at a group like CBRE or JLL, and it would help season your coursework in the Masters Real Estate program.

Hope that was somewhat helpful...

12thMan86
AG
Thank you. I will let my son know.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Austin Real Estate guy here... Austin is a tough market, as previously said, but not because there aren't jobs here, there just aren't as many as in Dallas or Houston. Further the ones here are well sought after by UTexas students, many of whom will work year round.

I'm not aware of any internships, but here are some companies to look at. Just find out who is in charge and call them. These aren't fortune 100 companies, they are small enough that you can get to someones voicemail.

American Campus Communities - They have hired a lot of Aggies, so you might be able to network in there.
JLL - Usually hire some summer interns, but they are very Texas focused.
CBRE - I think they usually hire an intern or two
Transwestern
Peloton Commercial - one of their partners is an Aggie
HPI
Colliers
Skyles/Bayne - Both Partners are Aggies
Aquila Commercial
HFF
Endeavour Real Estate
Summit Hotels
Virtus Real Estate Partners
Stonelake Capital Partners
Casoro Capital
World Class Capital
Cielo Realty Group
Vista Equity Partners
Pennybacker Capital
Live Oak Gottesman
Cypress Real Estate Advisors
Southwest Stratagies
UTIMCO

That's all that come to mind right off. There are lots of private equity firms here, google can help you find them. These type of people want to see you take initiative and be persistent with them.
PTXaggie08
AG
Yep, listen to BitterOldMan... he was exponentially more helpful than I was.
zaque1213
AG
USI hires a handful of summer interns. We're an insurance brokerage firm, handling anything from business P&C, health benefits, professional liability, inland marine. Even some personal insurance. I work in the Houston office but know a few folks in Austin. Would be happy to help if I can. zacharyvacek at gmail dot com.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.